ShaderX 2 Contents - Clues to PowerVR Series 5?

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, May 27, 2003.

1. demalion

Veteran

*poke* :arrow: Wavey. I think epic's suggestion, and the logical extension to a further policy with some other books, has quite a bit of long term merit for the site.

If you could arrange with Amazon to highlight books related to computer graphics and programming through a B3D portal, I think it could be a useful boost, and I don't think it would need to betray any B3D precepts that I know of.

2. KingRoLo

Newcomer

I think Fragment level Thong illumination would be more interesting.

3. Magnum PI

Veteran

imgtech are looking for console opportunities...

ati => GC2
    sony => PS2
    ? => xbox2

why not series 5 for the xbox2 ?

4. PC-Engine

Banned

I'm crossing my fingers. :D

5. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I'd say their chances are just as good as anyone elses in the least 8)

Entropy,

Personal opinion: still too early. If we're really talking about a PS/VS3.0 product here (dunno why I still use conditionals heh), then it's a bit too early at least IMHO.

6. Anonymous

Veteran

For product, possibly.
    For getting the prospective buyers hyped up? No way.

Stealthing in that scenario is suicidal for a new player. If you're going to throw yourself off a cliff, you'd better do your damndest to creat an upward draft before you go.

Entropy

7. Anonymous

Veteran

I'm sorry, but we have been hearing babble about PowerVR's comeback product ever since nVidia trounced Kyro1 with Geforce2MX, back in summer 2000.

At this point in time, most people are prone to categorise PowerVR with the likes of Sis, Via's graphics division and Trident.. Bitboys would be a stretch, but certainly not to much of one, considering even they presented a product in the past (Pyramid something or other).

8. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Of course is it a stretch, if not an exaggeration in the end. How many products overall have Bitboys released through the years? NONE. PowerVR and in extension ImgTec haven't stop releasing and lisencing IP since the beginning and that in multiple markets and they had real accelerators on shelves (delayed or not) from Series1 to 3 if the argument has to concentrate on PC graphics products alone.

They're still gaining valuable lisences for MBX as for a multitude of other SoC's, either with exclusive PVR IP, or joint with other divisions like Ensigma or Metagence.

Series4 went belly up so they skipped more than just one generations in between. By the time they had created a small interest in the user base with the K2's the whole thing went down the gutter again.

Finally as bitter as it may sound I can still pop in my system a K2 and find recent drivers for it; would I have a Pyramid show me where exactly I could locate a public driver download location and where would I turn to for the according support?

Entropy,

After the failure of Series4 I find it very natural that there isn't any pre-hype, before it's 100% secured that future products will actually go into production. Pre-hyping a product that might never appear is even more suicidal. Where exactly is Trident's XP4 (include all the marketing exaggerations, for which the few public tests conducted don't come even close to half the initial claims) today and how does that look on the other hand?

Pre-hype will arrive when it's time for it, usually 4 to 6 months ahead of an official release and not longer than that.

SiS is also working according to their roadmap on a PS/VS3.0 product; I don't even see yet anything for XabreII; where exactly are all other IHV's big or small pre-hyping a product with similar complexity? None and nowhere, because I personally don't expect any of those products prior to early 2004 and yes that would place pre-hype about less than a year in advance. Now what again is suicidal and what not?

9. Anonymous

Veteran

With Trilinear + S3TC, a Kyro I could actually come pretty close to GeForce2 GTS performance in a few games.

10. DeanoC

DeanoC Trust me, I'm a renderer person!
    Veteran Subscriber

Also on DXDev mailing list, PVR Thomas has mentioned VS3_0 several times. And when an IHV mentions something its generally because they do it or are going to do it in hardware.

Regarding ShaderX2, I've got a 'spare' article that never made it in due to a topic clash. Strangely enough it clashed with PVR Thomas's Deferred Shader article. Would anybody be interested in reading it, its a bit heavy going 16 odd pages of deferred lighting techniques. But if anybody wants to read it and play (with source code) with the pretty ATI 9700 demos (so far I haven't found any other hardware that can run them...) just shout and I put it up somewhere on the web.

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

How about we put it up here?

12. DeanoC

Veteran Subscriber

I was kind of hoping you would offer Dave :)

I need to proof read it but its finished so it won't take long. The source code in the demo's might be a little rough round the edges mind.

13. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I read the table of contents. Sounds like an interesting book. Why does the name Tom Forsyth sound familar though?

Tommy McClain

14. Anonymous

Veteran

100% is a bit much. 85% should suffice nicely.
    And note that you can trickle some tidbits before you actually start to bang any drums at all. How long ago was it you heard about the Hammer first? Drumbanging comes after that and product later still.

From a software standpoint, the releases of HL2 and DOOM3 will mark a discontinuity in customer awareness. Lets call it Fall -03.

From a hardware standpoint, the major upcoming change is the availability of 0.09um lithographic processes from foundries. This will mark a discontinuity in hardware possibilities/performance.

The only good reason to miss the first would be if you wanted to reap the benefits of the second, and the fab capability just wasn't available yet.
    But if this was the case, you could just say that you target an as yet unavailable process, and you would have launched a preemptive strike against the sales of all other gfx processors.

It would make sense for them to ride either of these two waves, and choosing the second still allows them to benifit from the first IF the hype is there to transfer the attention.

We'll see.

I hope.
    Entropy

15. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Who is PVR Thomas?

AFAIK, he's a developer working for "Mucky Foot" in the UK. He posts everywhere .

16. Kristof

Regular Alpha

Hmm, I think he means Nick ? Can't imagine who else has been posting to that list. I might have done once when they were talking about render to vertex array under DX9.

K-

17. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly both I believe he was also one of the core people of 3Dlabs.

18. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Never heard of Mucky Foot. More than likely I'm remembering him from 3Dlabs.

Tommy McClain

19. Magnum PI

Veteran

20. DeanoC

Veteran Subscriber

Ignore me, I'm going mad :shock: I meant Nicolas. Have no idea where the name Thomas came from....

I blame all the hard work I do, makes my mind go mushy.... :wink: