ShaderX 2 Contents - Clues to PowerVR Series 5?

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, May 27, 2003.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The Table of Contents for the upcoming ShaderX 2 3D techniques and programming book has been published. The authors of ShaderX 2 are comprised of many industry luminaries from both the hardware and software side, including the familiar names of our own Kristof Beets and Beyond3D's developer stalwart Dean Calver.

The book covers many topics from rendering of specific effects to DirectX9 HLSL programming, however of note are the contributions from the PowerVR employees, which are: "Deferred Shading with Multiple Render Targets", "Introduction to the vs_3_0 and ps_3_0 Shader Models", "Cloth Animation with Pixel and Vertex Shader 3.0" and "Rendering Voxel Objects with ps_3_0".

Late last year PowerVR's John Metcalfe made the comment that their upcoming PowerVR Series 5 chip, being developed internally, would have "class-leading functionality". Given the topics being covered by the PowerVR personnel in ShaderX 2 they would certainly seem to be doing a lot of work with the PS/VS3.0 shader model already available in the DirectX9 specification, and this would certainly make a good case for claim of 'class leading functionality' if these were adopted in their Series 5 hardware. If they didn't have it, why talk about it? Could Series 5 (assuming a timely introduction - often an issue with PowerVR parts!) be one of the first PS/VS3.0 capable pieces of hardware?

2. Kristof

Regular Alpha

3. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

congratz to those involved :wink: . Look over at amazon and not yet available. checked the site out and I think that it wont go on sale till august. Will pick up a copy when it comes out.

again congratz,
    epicstruggle

4. Anonymous

Veteran

oh please....

5. Anonymous

Veteran

A leak... nice :D

6. gkar1

Regular

All i can say is: "Yes!"

7. Entropy

Veteran

And I distinctly remember Kristof saying it would be a performance leader as well.

C'mon Kristof. Be a mate. You don't have to spill any ImgTech proprietary data. Instead, in your opinion as an investment consultant, in which company should we invest our all too meager savings? ;)

Entropy

8. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Yup, it's going to be an August release. Don't forget to read my articles :)

9. Captain Chickenpants

Regular

Humus, which ones are they?

10. Entropy

Veteran

Section 2
    "Fragment level Phong illumination"
    by Emil Persson

Section 4
    "Mandelbrot set rendering"
    by Emil Persson

This tome is going to be an insider hit at B3D for sure. Dave should make it mandatory reading for posting permits to the forums. Two months after it's available, you have to be able to correctly answer 8 out of 10 questions based on its contents in order not to have your posting permits revoked.

Congrats guys.

Entropy

11. Reverend

Banned

How do I get to be a ShaderX author/contributor? I want a chapter all to myself so that I talk about :

"Shaders -- writing original shaders that never gets replaced by others"

Hehe :wink: :lol:

12. Ante P

Veteran

Do you know where I could get the book here in Sweden? (When available.)

13. demalion

Veteran

Heh, you knew the jig was up at the beginning of the month, so don't put on faces now. ;)

14. cho

cho
    Regular

design, not a problem, but bulid a card even a chip is a big prolem. and which AIB would sell it ? :roll:

15. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Pure.

16. Anonymous

Veteran

For some reason I feel compelled to provide some unsolicited marketing advice for whoever Dave implies with "Pure".

IF, when either Half-Life 2 or DOOM3 is launched, whichever comes first, you still don't have a product to sell but know that you will hit market - PREANNOUNCE!

Just about everyone who is in the market for a graphics card will take stock of their systems at that point, take a long hard look at what's on the market, and then buy. A large part of these might very well hold out for something they know are coming and looks promising, but if you're not on the radar at that time....

If indeed the IP-owners are looking to do this "themselves", I don't see why they don't start trickling already, if the decision to market is made. They don't have an existing product to steal mind-share from. All mind-share would be taken from their competition.

Entropy

17. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

just a thought but, why not buy the books through B3D, so that we can help out around here. :wink:. I know amazon.com has a partnership program, or maybe we could just get them straight through B3d (hopefully with some sigs?) any way just an idea.

later,
    epicstruggle

18. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

I'd try for instance http://www.bokus.se , they have the previous ShaderX book at least, so one could assume they will get the new one too.

19. Ante P

Veteran

spanks

20. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Sorry 'Pure' is the new name for Videologic. It was renamed Pure because of their current line of audio products, so whether they will actually use the 'Pure' or 'Videologic' brand is another question. I was just using it to illustrate that they have an easy route into the UK, German and other parts of the European market.

Its probable that other far eastern vendors will also pick it up, assuming that PowerVR go this route, and if its good enough then then migh pick up their links with Hercules again.