Shaders in java for web?

DOGMA1138

Regular
i've stumbled on this web page http://www.colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/eloi.htm and was pretty amazed that i had some java applet running that produced a reflection like shader effect from a 2D image.
basicly i took this image http://www.colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/lake_weena.jpg and created a mirror surface which reflects and distorts the image. i tried to google it but i couldnt find how this was or can be done. can some one point me to the right direction because it seems with VISTA pushing the requirments for even the most minimal video hardware, shader implmentation in web sites can be the next design "gold rush" after flash.
thanks.

it's a very simple per pixel effect.. nothing to do with shaders, nothing with hardware..

it's just a lookup based on some index + some (i'd guess indexed table of a ) sine function, thus only some additions, and .. 2 lookups, or so.. as the pic is quite small it's not much pixels so its easy..

i've once done bumpmapping in a java applet for a webpage, that was fun, too..

but once you want to have that on fullscreen for everything and that, it gets simply tens, 100ts more pixels, and if you do anything more than just look up a color (means some calculations like lighting, blurring, colorisation) it means suddenly much more math per pixel, thus 10s of times more work.. together that can means 1000s of times more work for something like a game, or a vista surface.. ergo it needs hardware..

As davepermen said - its not really that complicated to implement. I remember messing with those things back in the late 90's when horrifically designed websites with lots of irritating applets and animated GIF's were coo™

DOGMA1138 said:
it seems with VISTA pushing the requirments for even the most minimal video hardware, shader implmentation in web sites can be the next design "gold rush" after flash.
I sincerely hope this doesn't happen!

It'd probably explode the possibilities of cross-platform web content, but it'd also be abused beyond belief. Can't say I really fancy banner-ad's running with full fresnel-term reflect/refract effects!

Additionally, not sure I want *any* webpages directly sending shader code to my hardware. I've managed to crash my GPU on several occasions by accident - I dont want web pages that actually try to crash my GPU ;)

Cheers,
Jack

Back