Shader Complilation on PC: About to become a bigger bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by Flappy Pannus, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Davros

Legend

It was just claimed thats how long shader compilation took I asked for examples of games that did shader compilation and I tested the games in the list that I had
    I also just tested Horizon and it took 7 minutes (my phone doesnt display seconds)
    Dishonoured 2 changed settings from auto to ultra then high then low then back to auto and I couldnt get it to do any shader compilation (unless it was instant)

#81 Davros, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

No, it wasn't. Horizon was specifically pointed out as being 'egregious' in the opening post on this thread.

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

It sounds mostly like HZD PC is not a great product. Of course the herd ran out and pre-ordered / bought it without taking that possibility into consideration.

4. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

It may be taxing, but it's a very beautiful game, with great gameplay.

5. Remij

Newcomer

So I was just checking out the GPUOpen website and came across this article about porting Detroit: Become Human to PC from PS4. It gives a bit of insight into why they made the decision they did to have a lengthy pre-generated shader pipeline process upon first launch of the game.

It's a really good article which goes over some of the decisions they made, as well as other issues during development.

https://gpuopen.com/learn/porting-detroit-1/

Pretty good article. Considering how the game was designed and that they had never considered the possibility that they might some day port the game to PC.. they made the right decision IMO. The other thing about these shader optimization/caching/generating processes being done like this is that it can scale with CPU cores. It's unfortunate for those with lower end CPUs, but on a high end CPU with many threads, the length of the process decreases tremendously. As CPUs become more powerful and as core count increases in general desktop processors, the time will continue to shrink until it's essentially a non issue.

Dictator, Malo, Krteq and 3 others like this.