Server blade question

Reflex68

Newcomer
I have a rack of HP DL360's at work

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl360/

Recently we ran out of room in the rack, it's very small, and I have a blade that we need to bring online, everyone I talked to from IT is saying you can't bring that blade online without it being in a "certified" chassis

I think they are full of shit, the blade has a power supply and such, I might be missing something big -- I'm not an IT person I just need to get a blade up, any info appreciated if there are any IT gurus around willing to take a sec and give me the heads up, couldn't find jack on google.com unfortunately

If it is not "certified" (I dont really know what that means) and it goes down for example then you can probably kiss that job goodbye!

It may have something to do with internal policy or even what the 'insurers' will cover.

I dont see any 'physical' barrier however unless it is incompatible with the rest of the network.

We see alot of "supported/certified" and "unsupported/uncertified" at work.
One is guaranteed to work, and one isnt.
Unsupported/uncertified configs usually void the warranty as well.

awesome guys, thanks for the responses

one thing i noticed i forgot to mention was my intention is to plug the thing into a surge protector and go, I read multiple places that people when they are starting a new rack often times just bring up new blades by doing this when they don't have the chassis or don't have the funds to do it

this blade if you follow that link has a full power supply, VGA, LAN keyboard/mouse etc, so it's practically a computer so to speak, anyway let's see how it goes, I'll probably try it on Monday, friday is going quick :p

Back