Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 [XBSX|S, XGP]

Hellblade is a cutcene running on a 2080ti. That clearly will look better than some gameplay running on a Pro.

You don't know that and are wishing it to be the situation.

From the official Xbox News article:

The footage shared tonight was captured in-engine and reflects the power of Xbox Series X available to developers to deliver new universes, experiences and games in ways you have never imagined.
From the official Xbox YouTube video text:

Senua's Saga:Hellblade II - the next entry in the Hellblade franchise from developer Ninja Theory.
Footage for this trailer was captured entirely in engine.
Built for the new Xbox Series X* - the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever.
Power Your Dreams.
*The availability and sale of Xbox Series X is subject to required regulatory approval(s) in your jurisdiction.​

@BRiT English is not my native language but I understand that PR well enough to claim it wasn't running on XSX. We already had that semantic discussion many times for others games like for instance UC4 infamous trailer.

@BRiT English is not my native language but I understand that PR well enough to claim it wasn't running on XSX. We already had that semantic discussion many times for others games like for instance UC4 infamous trailer.

I'm surprised at your claim that it was from an Nvidia 2080TI. Why wouldn't it be from an AMD Navi 2 or such GPU?

I'm surprised at your claim that it was from an Nvidia 2080TI. Why wouldn't it be from an AMD Navi 2 or such GPU?
Ok you are right I forget to add "most probably". It's the most powerful GPU currently and easily available.

Ok you are right I forget to add "most probably". It's the most powerful GPU currently and easily available.

Even with that I'm not so certain considering Phil Spencer is using some version of Xbox Series X at his house for his daily gaming console. Wouldnt that be a good indication that Series X DevKits are available for First Party developers?

Edit: prob going to move this discussion tangent into the Hellblade thread so discussion on Ghost can get back on point.

You know the drill @BRiT. They didn't say "it was running on a Xbox", they basically said "engine built for Xbox". And it's about the same for the PS5 exclusive / PC game they have shown: godfall.

I thought Phil had really just received a new fridge. :p

A 2080Ti would be a much more powerfull GPU, Hellblade 2 ran clearly on next gen xbox hardware, to show what's possible for next generation xbox machines.

Hellblade 2 ran clearly on next gen xbox hardware
Not clearly at all, and the statements are purposely worded to obfuscate the facts to make most believe it's some kind of real-time scene running on Xbox Series X. Even solely the word "reflects" is a huge indicator it's not running on the console at all. It's a marketing stunt for the VGA's, nothing more.

I don't think it was running on actual Xbox Series X retail hardware. They would have said it if it was and not have to say "reflects the power of".

My speculation, based on Spencer using Series X as his refrigerator:
It likely was on Xbox Series X DevKit using slightly over spec'd hardware provided by AMD, but because of software issues that have not been ironed out yet [OS, DX12.x, game engine, what have you] had to be captured for real time playback as a trailer.

The hellblade 2 showcase represents what it could look like. If that's done on AMD's most powerfull gpu (5700XT) or retail hardware doesn't really matter?

I don't think it was running on actual Xbox Series X retail hardware. They would have said it if it was and not have to say "reflects the power of".

My speculation, based on Spencer using Series X as his refrigerator:
It likely was on Xbox Series X DevKit using slightly over spec'd hardware provided by AMD, but because of software issues that have not been ironed out yet [OS, DX12.x, game engine, what have you] had to be captured for real time playback as a trailer.

It's also a lot cheaper with less hassle and planning involved to send a recorded capture for playback on whatever machines they have at the awards than to send out a full team with devkits and security to prevent people from messing with the devkits.

Regards,
SB

Apparently someone at NeoGAF who did an interview with the producer for HB2 confirmed it was running on a PC with Series X target specs.. of course huge grain of salt, but that would be typical.

Apparently someone at NeoGAF who did an interview with the producer for HB2 confirmed it was running on a PC with Series X target specs.. of course huge grain of salt, but that would be typical.

Learning to speak PR is simple: Executives will always say things in the way that is most clearly and unambiguously flatering that is possible. If yhe game is running in real time on a devkit, you can bet your ass any executive will be glad to spell it out "It is running in real freeking time in an actual late stage devkit that is pretty much what you guys will take home, folks" If phil could say that, he would have. If he had to say something much more roundabout, it's because that was the most flatering way of presenting the info he and his whole marketing team could fucking think of. It is 100% ALWAYS like that.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the next gen concept from ninja theory for last gen. HeavenlY Sword didn't match that target. I have more faith in this as they should have hardware by now or at least realistic specs, but there is room for caution in managing one's expectations. I look forward to seeing next gen gameplay graphics.

If they aim 4k CBR 30 fps linear design with no Raytracing then they should get pretty close if not matching 100%. The soon as you go native 4k/60fps with any slight usage of RT, it'll look worse than Hellblade 1 I guarantee it.

I will never understand why people get excited about any form of cutscene graphics.

Cut scenes have looked great for a long time now, and even with the introduction of real time cut scenes, the developers have been able to create far better looking visuals in the cut scenes compared to in game visuals. Every generation shows off some target visuals to get people excited for their new product. I think DF did a good job of breaking down the Hellblade video, and what compromises we will likely see in the actual game. The trailer showed no LOD's for example, but that will most certainly still be used in the actual gameplay.

If they aim 4k CBR 30 fps linear design with no Raytracing then they should get pretty close if not matching 100%. The soon as you go native 4k/60fps with any slight usage of RT, it'll look worse than Hellblade 1 I guarantee it.
I think the only thing you can guarantee with 0 knowledge of the engine, if RT is being used, how it's being used, and what forms of reconstruction, what on what system its running on, what capacities and features are available, and 0 knowledge of the RT solution being leveraged....

...is that you're wrong.

The only thing i see is amazing graphics, that far exceed what is possible now. If that translates into ingame gameplay, no idea, but if they promise it will, great.

Back