Sempr0n 3100+ (754), new chip or crippled A64?

hoom

Veteran
Does anyone know if the Sempr0n 3100+ for socket 754 is a separate chip design with the 64bit & some cache expunged, or just defect A64 chips with bits turned off?

Either seems seperately reasonable to me:
a> - 64bit & cache = smaller chip, thus cheaper to make.
b> bits turned off = a good place to put defect A64 chips.

It should be a good overclocker yes?
I'd think more so if its an a> chip?

arrrse said:
Does anyone know if the Sempr0n 3100+ for socket 754 is a separate chip design with the 64bit & some cache expunged, or just defect A64 chips with bits turned off?

Either seems seperately reasonable to me:
a> - 64bit & cache = smaller chip, thus cheaper to make.
b> bits turned off = a good place to put defect A64 chips.

It should be a good overclocker yes?
I'd think more so if its an a> chip?

I have no support for one way or the either other than to go by AMDs past. In which they have had a tendency to actually make their budget chips a seperate design. It doesn't seem to make much sense but then again they seem to always do it.

I too am waiting to hear more about the 3100+s overclocking abilities since it is looking mighty tempting for my next machine.

arrrse said:

It is a new die with smaller cache, but the 64bit support is just turned off not removed. Some defect A64 chips is most likely sold (or will be sold) as Semprons but most is the new 256KB L2 cache core.

Edit:
I think A64 2800+ is a better buy than the Sempron 3100+, the 2800+ has twice the L2 cache and 64bit support and is only slightly more expensive.

Argh, typical, somewhere between the two :rolleyes:

Yeah, the bottom end 754 A64s are probably the better bang for buck stock, but I was thinking that if I could OC the 3100+ easily to like 2.2Ghz then I'd get the better side of the deal with a Sempr0n.

Hopefully the new 90nm 3000+ will be a bit cheaper & fall into price range :)

Not fussed about 64bit at the mo as if I do upgrade short term, then I'd hope to upgrade to a full 939 setup about the time any 64bit windoze actually comes out

Back