SEGA teasing for something

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend

A new kind of peripheral?
Teaser shows some footage of existing games and from what I understand they did not show games not available on PS platforms beyond the smartphone/tablet games. Kid holds a PS3 controller playing some vary basic games with some prototype hardware at the end.

Suggests some form of eye tracking. And maybe something related to Playstation? Or just a coincidence.
Maybe the device tracks even more information than eye movement, like heat, stress, muscle movements and such. Or as it suggests that eyes may be a source of input that generates output of sound and visuals.

Maybe we will know at Playstation Experience? What do you think?

They do highlight a new identity for SEGA.

I wonder if the fact that the kid is not asian is a hint to something. Every other person in the video are asians

Last edited:
It talks about "identity" as a noun, as a thing created from the eyes translating them into "a sound and a visual". I see nothing to suggest eye-tracking or a new peripheral. Initially I thought they were just talking about new branding!

SEGA joining the VR bandwagon? After all VR is pretty much eyes based. Eye tracking would require new hardware in the hands of gamers though and I doubt SEGA has the power to push t through and make viable money wise...

It talks about "identity" as a noun, as a thing created from the eyes translating them into "a sound and a visual". I see nothing to suggest eye-tracking or a new peripheral. Initially I thought they were just talking about new branding!
On board with shifty here. Honestly, to me it sounded like a new variant of targeted market research. Instead of asking people what they liked and disliked about the game, they instead measure eye response. And if the eye response consistently provides the response they are looking for they know if they should keep it in the game or not.

Just my thoughts.

On board with shifty here. Honestly, to me it sounded like a new variant of targeted market research. Instead of asking people what they liked and disliked about the game, they instead measure eye response. And if the eye response consistently provides the response they are looking for they know if they should keep it in the game or not.

Just my thoughts.
Team Ninja is waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of them when it comes to the male gaze.

edit: From what I've heard from friends.

Not sure. Maybe. I might have thought the same if I didnt see the kid with the device near the end

What kid with with what device? Only thing I can see is some tracking glasses thing introduced when talking about tracking eye movements to turn into sound and image.

What kid with with what device? Only thing I can see is some tracking glasses thing introduced when talking about tracking eye movements to turn into sound and image.
Thats what I am talking about. It seems to suggest something related to eye tracking

Thats what I am talking about. It seems to suggest something related to eye tracking
I don't think so, it seems to have been part of the marketing analysis to gather the information to base ..... whatever they're doing on.

For their data collection, watching the eyes. Looks like a camera on top to track head in relation to screen, and camera off to the right watching the eyes/face.

I don't think so, it seems to have been part of the marketing analysis to gather the information to base ..... whatever they're doing on.
For their data collection, watching the eyes. Looks like a camera on top to track head in relation to screen, and camera off to the right watching the eyes/face.
But for what purpose?
A Q&A session with the player can obtain feedback if the product is good/bad and what changes it might need. But tracking subtle movements of the eyes and facial muscles means they are either looking to something very specific or they are interested in eye tracking or something along these lines to create a product that uses them

The video explains that at length. Ask a person what they like and they might not even know beyond they like it, let alone be able to articulate in detail. But watching body language, you immediately can tell what a person likes or doesn't. Games that watch how you feel and adapt are a very smart idea, floated with Kinect IIRC. No-one's done anything with that yet, though, much like the idea of tracking people's natural motions in motion-capable controllers has been ignored.

But for what purpose?
A Q&A session with the player can obtain feedback if the product is good/bad and what changes it might need. But tracking subtle movements of the eyes and facial muscles means they are either looking to something very specific or they are interested in eye tracking or something along these lines to create a product that uses them

It's all about tracking what a person is looking at, how long are they looking at it, does their eye continue to return to it if it wanders, etc. Also important that by tracking that, you also track what they aren't looking at, which can often be as important or more important.

As Shifty mentions, people often can't tell you why they like something or why they don't like something. And often that confusion will lead to them telling you things that don't line up with what is the root cause of them being impressed, unimpressed, disgusted, etc. In such cases, the eyes don't lie.

For advertising, input like this is very important in crafting a scene to try to get your message across. IE - is some random thing you put into an advertisement as "filler" to liven up the presentation drawing the viewer's attention away from what you want them to be focused on? Is the clothes your spokesman wearing causing a lot of people to look away because they find it uninteresting, unsettling or offensive (consciously or unconsciously)? Etc.

Regards,
SB

It's all about tracking what a person is looking at, how long are they looking at it, does their eye continue to return to it if it wanders, etc. Also important that by tracking that, you also track what they aren't looking at, which can often be as important or more important.

As Shifty mentions, people often can't tell you why they like something or why they don't like something. And often that confusion will lead to them telling you things that don't line up with what is the root cause of them being impressed, unimpressed, disgusted, etc. In such cases, the eyes don't lie.

For advertising, input like this is very important in crafting a scene to try to get your message across. IE - is some random thing you put into an advertisement as "filler" to liven up the presentation drawing the viewer's attention away from what you want them to be focused on? Is the clothes your spokesman wearing causing a lot of people to look away because they find it uninteresting, unsettling or offensive (consciously or unconsciously)? Etc.

Regards,
SB
If we are talking about getting data for gameplay design, detecting facial expressions with a machine that need to be interpreted later sounds more complex, subjectivel and different from tracking where the eyes move on screen. The former will also require QA to cross check and validate what was detected whereas the latter picks up the players points of interest or where the game guides the eyes.Regardless thats still a complex subject that will need interpretation

Now if you are talking about advertising, advertising is passive. You just react to whats thrown at you in contrast to games where things are more interactive. Facial expressions are contextual and may mean different things. Do my eyes show something I dislike in the game world or something I dislike about the gameplay? Frowning because I dislike a character in a game or movie may also be a failure or a success story depending on the context. See King Joffrey in Game of Thrones as a good example. We dislike disgusting imagery but it can be a positive in a horror game, where we may actually like what we dislike. That doesnt mean that we may not truly dislike other elements in the horror game, but thats where distinctions begin to blur and things become less clear.

QA will still be important to interpret. Even if the player doesnt know why he likes or not something.

If that video was not about a new kind of experience that uses eye tracking then most likely it was just a well crafted video to impress and communicate that "identity" using the eyes as a theme and nothing particularly special. I doubt they would be tracking eyes and expressions and design their games around that.

Now if you are talking about advertising, advertising is passive. You just react to whats thrown at you in contrast to games where things are more interactive. Facial expressions are contextual and may mean different things. Do my eyes show something I dislike in the game world or something I dislike about the gameplay? Frowning because I dislike a character in a game or movie may also be a failure or a success story depending on the context. See King Joffrey in Game of Thrones as a good example. We dislike disgusting imagery but it can be a positive in a horror game, where we may actually like what we dislike. That doesnt mean that we may not truly dislike other elements in the horror game, but thats where distinctions begin to blur and things become less clear.

If that is what they are going for then yes, you definitely way to know what the people find disgusting and whether you want to enhance it further or not.

SEGA isn't the first and definitely won't be the last to use eye tracking as a method to objectively track what people are looking at within advertisements or games even. Microsoft has been doing it for a while, for example, as have many other companies.

Regards,
SB

Is this bit remotely related to what was teased ?

---
http://www.businessinsider.com/sega-forever-sonic-iphone-free-android-mobile-2017-6

You'll soon be able to play all of Sega's best retro games on your smartphone. On Wednesday, the company announced Sega Forever, an app that will give iPhone and Android owners free access to its robust library of classic games.

In an announcement video styled to mimic the cheesy video game commercials from the 1980s, Sega revealed that Sega Forever will include games from all of the company's game consoles, such as the Genesis and Dreamcast, bundled with new features like online leaderboards, cloud saves, and offline play.

After the initial offering, more games will be added every two weeks. Since the games use the free-to-play business model, players will encounter ads within each app unless they pay $1.99 for an ad-free version.

Is this bit remotely related to what was teased ?

---
http://www.businessinsider.com/sega-forever-sonic-iphone-free-android-mobile-2017-6

You'll soon be able to play all of Sega's best retro games on your smartphone. On Wednesday, the company announced Sega Forever, an app that will give iPhone and Android owners free access to its robust library of classic games.

In an announcement video styled to mimic the cheesy video game commercials from the 1980s, Sega revealed that Sega Forever will include games from all of the company's game consoles, such as the Genesis and Dreamcast, bundled with new features like online leaderboards, cloud saves, and offline play.

After the initial offering, more games will be added every two weeks. Since the games use the free-to-play business model, players will encounter ads within each app unless they pay $1.99 for an ad-free version.

Yup. That's it.

I wish they'd just release a Neptune though. :(

I'm unsure if they will be utilizing the data collected from eye tracking for various games or if it's just a bunch of fluff for their new corporate identity. I do know I'm more excited and hopeful for the company than I've been in years and if they do indeed revive long dead properties I look with great anticipation of that possibility. The company's been doing well as of late and this seems kind of like a grab to make a comeback of sorts. If they follow their current trajectory they have a shot at becoming more of a player.

They've collected some data on eye tracking and perhaps the reactions and the eye's movements when presented certain scenarios and experiences. Now if that data leads to compelling gameplay that would be awesome. I guess it's up to them to analyze what they have but if they did record the eye's reactions then it could go ways to helping AI being able to detect emotion better. It's up to them to monetize the data they collect in whichever form that may be,

Speaking of QA. I wonder if this would have a good use in the testing stage to see what works and what doesn't and optimize the experience for what the developer intends.

Back