Sega rally deformation demo.

To my eye it looks like the mesh is binary in terms of 'deformation' either it's sunken or not. I didn't see any obvious half way points.
I mean sure, smart for memory usage (which is the main limiting factor) but I'd wonder how well it would work over longer races.

it might be but it still looks like it'll have a lot of effect on the races when you also have to consider the different terrain types.

Eurogamer 360 review is up

9/10

looks like a fun arcade racer. :)

To dwell on the tracks a little more (did we mention the tracks?), it's important to emphasise just how well designed they feel, which is why you won't mind the repeat play. Each one has so many environmental factors to take into account, such as contrasting surfaces and variable conditions. Sometimes you'll go from loose, uneven country lane surfaces to smooth city tarmac and back, or icy, treacherous slush, to sheet ice, to wet mountain roads, to muddy off-road lanes. It's no longer just about memorising one set course layout, with all its twists, turns and slopes, but where the ever-changing hazards are....

While we're on the subject, one thing we haven't really focused too much on yet is how incredible the game looks, and throws out more detail than pretty much any driving game to date. Ok, so it's only running at 30 frames per second, but it's an absolutely rock-solid 30 frames per second. Despite that rather irksome fact, it's the first time in ages that a developer has really transmitted that blistering arcade sensation that old hands constantly go on about.....

But enough of the predictions and doubts. Sega Rally is easily the freshest arcade driving experiences to have emerged in years, providing more wide-eyed excitement in five minutes than most games manage in five hours. Not since Burnout 2 has a driving game stood out as so completely different to everything else, and provided so much instant, moreish entertainment to such a high technical standard. To find a game that strips out the pointless and unnecessary padding and gets back to, you know, making the actual racing the fun bit is worthy of celebration on its own, but to then underpin the whole thing with deformable tracks is a masterstroke. As one of the most important and well-realised ideas to hit the racing genre, it's something I'd urge any racing game fan to try out. Sega Rally isn't just a nostalgic remake, but a genuinely revolutionary twist that takes arcade racing in a new direction.

This really surprised me, to be honest. But the comment in the review that 'it isn't really a game to play with the wheel' did put me off to a great extent. What about the original Arcade version, eh? That was also not a game to be played with a wheel? I didn't think there was any other way, actually, but hey ... ;)

This really surprised me, to be honest. But the comment in the review that 'it isn't really a game to play with the wheel' did put me off to a great extent. What about the original Arcade version, eh? That was also not a game to be played with a wheel? I didn't think there was any other way, actually, but hey ... ;)

....but notice an appreciable handing difference, both in the amount of traction afforded to your car and the vibration transmitted through the pad. [And it's here where we'd ultimately recommend the 360 version over the PS3 - we cannot overstate how subliminally important it is to be able to feel the track in your hand. Relying on visual feedback alone simply won't be enough. You can play the game using the wheel on PS3 to get vibration, but it's not a game that really lends itself to steering wheel control.]
I read it as him referring to the rumble feedback in the pad being more tactile and effective for this particular incarnation than the feedback from a wheel. Also since the game pretty much pushes you back onto the track, the wheel could almost feel unnatural since it's so arcadey in that (well every ;)) regard.

Ehm. When we are referring to the English language, do actually we mean the same thing? Because your interpretation of this line:

but it's not a game that really lends itself to steering wheel control.

... is quite alien to me. :D

Ehm. When we are referring to the English language, do actually we mean the same thing? Because your interpretation of this line:

... is quite alien to me. :D

:)

I think he is referring to the game playing far too arcadey for the wheel to feel natural.

edit: Especially considering that most wheel owners (in my guestimation) are more sim racers. Arcade racers (like myself) are happy using the pad. :) the wheel in the old arcades was not used in the same way as we use them today (sim).

We didn't expect realism then. this is arcade racing through and through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not read the reviews yet, but is there any indication on how the game is structured / the number of tracks? I see there is 30 cars to choose from, but what about the number of tracks / stages?

:)

I think he is referring to the game playing far too arcadey for the wheel to feel natural.

But that's my whole point. THe original was very arcady and very much designed to be played with a wheel ...

I've not read the reviews yet, but is there any indication on how the game is structured / the number of tracks? I see there is 30 cars to choose from, but what about the number of tracks / stages?

from eurogamer

Across the three championships that you have to play through (Premier, Modified, Masters), there are a meagre 16 unique tracks spread across the game's 108 races, with reverse versions of another eight of those. Set over five environment types (Alpine, Canyon, Arctic, Safari and Tropical), it sounds limited, but it's a game where intimate knowledge of each course is essential, and something you grow to appreciate once you unlock faster car types. At first, repeating tracks feels a bit cheap - as if Sega couldn't come up with enough content and was happy to merely cut and paste tracks to pad the whole thing out, but, oddly, it is actually another sensible design decision which makes you appreciate the game even more.

ok tried it out graphics are ok but not DiRT-like.

has some AA and the lighting is not overdone but not as nice as I'd prefer either. the deformation effects are great. the simplistic driving model had me confused at first (the center axis turning fools your brain in 3rd person view) I was gettin' my butt kicked. :smile:

This was fixed however when I switched to hood cam (1st person). The game came to life for me then as control really was not hindered by my brain ;) and I started to get in the hunt on some races. The AI is a great arcade AI in that it gives you that sense of challenge right up to the end even if you're just challenging for 3rd place.

I also liked the surround sound effects in hood cam as you could hear some great drift, mud splatter and pebble/debris effects coming out of the rear speakers.

Another thing I liked was the restart was instantaneous at the end or in the middle of a race (no re-load, just what we ADD-gamers like;)) Also there is a 6 player Online MP mode (not in demo) and split screen 2 player at home for those that miss the old days or do not have high speed access to your gaming machine.

I'm too lazy to go digging for it now, but didn't one of the online reviews knock "Dirt" for not being on par visually with this game?

Back