SEGA and Imagination Technologies Announce ...

I remember reading those specs that morning on FGNonline. Looked to me that someone just used a spec list from a real piece of hardware as a guideline and wrote in some big numbers. The notion that SEGA would once again kill their market early, especially since sales growth of DC was still promising at the time, just couldn't be taken seriously.

PowerVR chip code named "Excelsior"
Clock Speed: 300mhz
Bus size: 256 bits
Fill Rate: 8.4 full featured billion pixels/second (deferred rendered)

Pfft 12 pipelines on the R420 and 16 piplines on the NV40 well they can both move over for the 28 pipline excelsior LOL.

I doubt the chip in question has any real pipelines or piplines after all.

Pfft 12 pipelines on the R420 and 16 piplines on the NV40 well they can both move over for the 28 pipline excelsior LOL

I think that's a estimated fillrate based on 100% removal of overdraw:

300mhz * 8 pipes * 3.5 overdraw = 8.4Gpixels/s

Not that I'm saying I believe the specs are based on any real hardware. Just that's probably how the guy who faked the numbers meant it.

This new PowerVR based SEGA arcade board should be quite powerful because it could be a no holds barred design. It may even use multiple PowerVR chips since cost isn't an issue. I'm curious as to what CPU it would use.

If they are making it backwards compatibile with N@OMI 1-2 then I think they will use something from Hitachi??

Dude!

DUDE! Why couldn't PowerVR have done this a year ago?! Then PowerVR would have time to fullfill its sega contract and do soemthing slightly more important, port the PowerVR to the PC!

Phoooar - powerVR king of teh vid cards!

Meh, if PowerVR even decide to do this now, it won't be 'teh king' because every man and his dog are going to have vs/ps3.0 cards out this year.

Maybe PowerVR should look up the word 'Late' in the dictionary, and figure out what it actully means...

:devilish:

No body knows what the chip destined for SEGA is apart from the guyz there who can say nothing abou it yet. Maybe it is a custom chip designed specifically for SEGA based on the Series 5 or more advanced GPU.

Still it will take the PC games at least a couple of years to get up to level with the arcade gfx wise since the PC is an open platform while the games for the new SEGA board will be designed specifically for that GPU spec and probably coded with a more machine oriented code(if it is still done nowadays).

Always IMHO: I don't personally see a need to have a different design for Arcade, nor for multiple chip configs with that generation. Would it be a mainstream part only, then it would be different. Right now scaling chips would be vastly overkill.

Meh, if PowerVR even decide to do this now, it won't be 'teh king' because every man and his dog are going to have vs/ps3.0 cards out this year.

:rolleyes:

Re: Dude!

Jodi said:
DUDE! Why couldn't PowerVR have done this a year ago?! Then PowerVR would have time to fullfill its sega contract and do soemthing slightly more important, port the PowerVR to the PC!

Phoooar - powerVR king of teh vid cards!

Maybe PowerVR should look up the word 'Late' in the dictionary, and figure out what it actully means...

there are other considerations for choosing an ip then performance and featureset. never mind that ps3.0 will most likely relatively insignificant as far as IQ goes...

there are other considerations for choosing an ip then performance and featureset

Like? For which exact reasons did SEGA change it's mind and decided for PowerVR's design for the Dreamcast in the past?

never mind that ps3.0 will most likely relatively insignificant as far as IQ goes...

That's eventually true (especially under the relative sense), yet it comes down as to what exactly you are selling and for what market exactly. In order to claim that you have a high end offering, it has to be fast and feature-complete at the same time.

Ailuros said:
there are other considerations for choosing an ip then performance and featureset

Like? For which exact reasons did SEGA change it's mind and decided for PowerVR's design for the Dreamcast in the past?

Well the fact that a tiler roughly delivers the same performance of an imr using a lower clocked chip and slower ram. Costs are also lower since you are not so dependant on good yields.

gkar1 said:
Ailuros said:

Well the fact that a tiler roughly delivers the same performance of an imr using a lower clocked chip and slower ram. Costs are also lower since you are not so dependant on good yields.

We're past the SDRAM era a long time ago. The price/performance ratio has to be good whether TBDR or IMR or at the other whether high end/mainstream or value.

***edit:

to make it clearer, he said that there are other reasons to pick specific IP other than performance and/or feature-sets. What I'm saying is that you need ALL, period. There any other benefits in terms of power consumption, efficiency etc etc are of course reason more to pick such IP, yet not the only or primary reason.

Parallel example from the PDA/mobile market: I hope anyone won't be trying to convince that MBX has seen so far so much lisencing success "just" because of it's power consumption for example. Performance and feature-set are equally important. It's all a bundle.

The DeltaChrome consumes ~5W; is that reason enough to prefer it over other mainstream sollutions?

Jodi said:
May your car be attacked by Kias :)

I think Simon and Kristof should threaten to jump around John Metcalfe's office naked if IMGTECH management don't find us a PowerVR PC licencee. :oops:

:oops:

PVR_Extremist said:
I think Simon and Kristof should threaten to jump around John Metcalfe's office naked if IMGTECH management don't find us a PowerVR PC licencee. :oops:

That would be damn effective I bet !

Ingenu said:
PVR_Extremist said:

That would be damn effective I bet !

*fires up Photoshop*....uhhmmm wait I don't have a pic from Simon :cry:

Simon F said:
Jodi said:
May your car be attacked by Kias :)

Muhahahaha, not a chance. I catch the train to work...

Anyway, shouldn't you be working on the next gen VGP? which of course, will be late, so you throw it away to design the next next-gen part. Which will be late, so you throw it away to design the next next next-gen part. Which will be late, so you throw it away to design the next next next next-gen part...

Back