SEGA and Imagination Technologies Announce...

If those specs are based in reality then I'm guessing someone has extrapolated the 24 pixel pipe number from an effective fillrate spec. As in a fillrate number based on average overdraw, most likely 3.5 overdraw. Which would give you 8 real pixel pipes. Sounds more realistic to me..

Teasy said:
If those specs are based in reality then I'm guessing someone has extrapolated the 24 pixel pipe number from an effective fillrate spec. As in a fillrate number based on average overdraw, most likely 3.5 overdraw. Which would give you 8 real pixel pipes. Sounds more realistic to me..

I see what you mean. Unfortunately, Mr Sega R&D fails to provide us with any effective fill rate numbers so its hard to know what he knows if anything at all.

Mr Sega R&D, I suspect, should be renamed as Mr Sega B&S.

I'm working on plans to modify a Dreamcast console, and porting Ogre3D engine to it ( http://www.ogre3d.org/ <-- extremely good looking free engine), create an awesome platform....

Anyway specs would be:

SH-6 900MHz (need to obtain one of these of SH-7/8/9 etc)
64MB - 256MB (possibly 512MB if the right memory modules could be gotten hold of)
16MB - 32MB (possibly 64MB with the right memory modules) 175MHz PowerVR3 (already getting one for almost nothing), would like a high end PowerVR, but dont know if that would be compatible on the Dreamcast mainboard.

no plans on modding the sound chip and dsp.

16MB - 32MB (possibly 64MB with the right memory modules) 175MHz PowerVR3 (already getting one for almost nothing), would like a high end PowerVR, but dont know if that would be compatible on the Dreamcast mainboard.

What the heck is a PowerVR3? A Kyro? And I'm sure it's not even close to being compatible with (or more specifically including all the necessary components) that the Holly has...

SH-6 900MHz (need to obtain one of these of SH-7/8/9 etc)

Why don't we actually try an SH-5 implementation in something other than a router first before we go on to 6/7/8/9...

Teasy said:

The effective fill-rate would be still too high for what I'd really expect from this architecture, especially if this theoretical funky number originates from the Arcade board.

I can't believe the amount of BS I read in this thread by the way.

Athiril said:
I'm working on plans to modify a Dreamcast console

Yeah, in your DREAMS... :LOL:

This is pure bullshit, there's no SH-6 period (much less one at 900MHz), and even if there was it would not be pin compatible with the one presently there. Same with the graphics chip.

You're either trolling or a vastly deluded person without any clue (I'm leaning towards the first explanation myself btw).

;o; And here I was...

seeing the tread was ressurrected... I was hoping that there had been more info released on the new Sega - PowerVR project... how dissapointing! :(

archie4oz said:

What the heck is a PowerVR3? A Kyro? And I'm sure it's not even close to being compatible with (or more specifically including all the necessary components) that the Holly has...
Correct. It isn't compatible at all.

Back