SEGA and Imagination Technologies Announce...

Did the Neon250 have support for modifier volumes as well? Even so I don't remember many games on Dreamcast utilizing them but when they were used it was very impressive.

PowerVR2 / PMX / Neon250 and PowerVR2DC / CLX are 'somewhat' different. neither a tiny trivial difference, nor a massive difference.

probably not unlike the difference between NV20/GeForce3 and NV2A

I wonder what the spec sheet will look like. Any one want to guess?
Should be pretty impressive if SEGA chose it as their top of the line hardware 8)

I heard someone saying 'possible Naomi 3 release at the end of the year'. :)

I am curious about Virtua Fighter 5, I hope AM2 will make some advanced weather effects that not only affect the enviroment, but clothes and hair as well. Then you could have a subtile effect of characters reacting somewhat slower (wet/frozen clothes/hair, or things like sand, wood splinters,... )

Imagine the possibilities! :)

Re: ...

Deadmeat said:
This is not PowerVR5, but the GPU(PVR3DC) salvaged from Dreamcast2.
Luckily, I now have the perfect description of your post...

Utter meconium.

sonic said:
Kristof and Simon F, any comments on Deadmeat's post?
I hope the above is enough of an answer. Sorry for the delay but we've been busy with our own little project. I'm sure Joe and Tahir will understand from the above.

Megadrive1988 said:
the only relatively major thing I remember, on the differences between PowerVR Series 2 for PC and Series 2 for DC, is either the tile size or pixel element arrangement. it was something like 32x16 for PC and 32x32 for Dreamcast but I could be wrong. my memory is very foggy on that. And also I could not know WTF I'm talking about (likely) :oops:
That's actually pretty acurate. The DC chip also acted as the system memory controller, while the PC chip, naturally, had a PCI interface and 2D functionality.

Sonic said:
Did the Neon250 have support for modifier volumes as well? Even so I don't remember many games on Dreamcast utilizing them but when they were used it was very impressive.
It did. The 3D functionality was, IIRC, the same as CLX. It may have differed slightly in rendering power though. (Gosh it was so long ago and sleep deprivation is taking its toll).

Re: ...

Simon F said:
Deadmeat said:
This is not PowerVR5, but the GPU(PVR3DC) salvaged from Dreamcast2.

Utter meconium.

sonic said:
Kristof and Simon F, any comments on Deadmeat's post?
I hope the above is enough of an answer. Sorry for the delay but we've been busy with our own little project. I'm sure Joe and Tahir will understand from the above.
If that cryptic remark means what I think it does, then I guess a congratulation is in its place. ;)

Simon F:

Utter meconium.
Well, I'm sure that SEGA's kept an eye on the PowerVR technologies all the while during this ongoing relationship, from the DC to considerations of possibilities for a Dreamcast2 launch (for a brief time there, anyway) to when they finally moved on extending the Naomi arcade standard to this next generation. The research and contemplation for them would've been relatively ongoing despite that they'll be getting the high-end stuff now.

Neon 250 was clocked higher than the PVR2DC. The DC chip was 100mhz while the N250 was 125 IIRC.

BTW Simon. Any teasers about the new SEGA board?? Maybe something in general like how it will compare with the new consoles? :p

CIN said:
BTW Simon. Any teasers about the new SEGA board?? Maybe something in general like how it will compare with the new consoles? :p

PowerVRN3

1Ghz
24 Pipelines

Renesas SH-6

64bit 2.5Ghz Risc

Memory

1GB Unified Total System

Sound

Yamaha 64bit risc
256 3D channels - 1000 Total
Dolby 7.1

Media Format

DVD-Rom

SegaR&D said:
CIN said:

PowerVRN3

1Ghz
24 Pipelines

Renesas SH-6

64bit 2.5Ghz Risc

Memory

1GB Unified Total System

Sound

Yamaha 64bit risc
256 3D channels - 1000 Total
Dolby 7.1

Media Format

DVD-Rom

24 pipelines @ 1GHZ ! Ahem, if you're going to make specs up, at least try to make them seem plausible.

Well that's sounds great, but SH-6 isn't designed to operate at 2Ghz or 2.5GHz.

Speaking of which, SH-6 was announced in early 1999 and SH-7 in late 2000, and yet I haven't heard about them since. In fact the Renesas SH site lists only SH-5 and earlier as being licensable. Odd.

Well, 24 pixel pipelines at 1Ghz isn't implausable given an advanced enough lithography process and DC/PS2-style pipelines; what's more unbelievable is why you would need so many pipes on a defered renderer at this point. More fragment shader execution ALUs or more texture filtering units would probably be a better use of the available die space than having a lot of basic pipes.

Hahah a 1 ghz 24 pipelined hdr ?

Where can i get one of those for my pc . If videolodgic could make one of those they would release it and ati and nvidia would be out of busniess .

Much more likely it would be a 800 mhz 8x1 or 8x2 design . Mabye a 12x1 or so but i doubt it .

Back