Seagate's new 15K Savvio

Techgage have a small teaser artical about the new drive, but I found this comment a bit confusing.
Desktop users with big wallets don't need to fret though. If you want that blazing performance and for some reason don't want the larger 150GB 3.5" drive, you can still use the Savvio in your normal desktop PC with a serial attached SCSI (SAS) card. This is my solution, and the one that I will be using in our full review of the drive next month

Isn't SAS interoperable with SATA2 with reduced features when the two are combined?

That said, is it possible this will supplant the Raptor as the new object of lust for the hard core enthusiest? Is there time left for this level of hard drive performance to find it's way into top end home machines or are solid state drives make this niche their own in 2007, pricing looks to be similar? Having just done the weekly defrag/virus/spyware scan, I would offer a happy home for either.

sata drives can be plugged into SAS controllers, SAS drives cannot be plugged into sata controllers.

Problem with SSDs, in my opinion, is the danger of corruption or failure and the recovery of data. I dont think they'll ever take off because of that. Emphasis should be put around the preservation of data recovery in anything thats going to replace current HDDs. SSDs dont do that yet.

Dang there goes the idea of plugging one of these into a PS3.

Maybe in another 5 yrars some manufacturer makes a fast 2.5" SATA drive.

SAS seems little more thgan an excuse to sell expensive add-in boardsd and more expensive harddirves.

Peace.

Problem with SSDs, in my opinion, is the danger of corruption or failure and the recovery of data. I dont think they'll ever take off because of that. Emphasis should be put around the preservation of data recovery in anything thats going to replace current HDDs. SSDs dont do that yet.

While it would keep them out of server environments they seem to be the next big thing for laptops and the performace at any cost crowd would likely want RAID arrays of them anyway. Is the reliablilty really that poor?

Dang there goes the idea of plugging one of these into a PS3.

Maybe in another 5 yrars some manufacturer makes a fast 2.5" SATA drive.

SAS seems little more thgan an excuse to sell expensive add-in boardsd and more expensive harddirves.

Peace.

You can link a Western Digital Raptor 10K SATA drive to the PS3, but you'll need to use extended power and data cables, as that 3.5" HDD obviously can't fit in the 2.5" slot of the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can link a Western Digital Raptor 15K SATA drive to the PS3, but you'll need to use extended power and data cables, as that 3.5" HDD obviously can't fit in the 2.5" slot of the machine.
Thats the first I ever heard of a 15K RPM Raptor. All the Raptors I know of is 10K RPM.

While it would keep them out of server environments they seem to be the next big thing for laptops and the performace at any cost crowd would likely want RAID arrays of them anyway. Is the reliablilty really that poor?

For read/write cycles yes. As far as the danger of your files, basically any bad virus or an overclock gone terribly wrong is going to end you and because of how it stores your data, you basically have no chance to recover much of it.. Viruses would be the biggest problem i would think. Bad power surges, total failure of the drive. You're data is problably toasted. Like i said the problem with SSDs is the fact that its a step back in this area which is very important, even to home users. Like me personally, I dont want to lose my music library or even chance it. Trying to rebuild it would cost me thousands.

Isn't that why we should keep backups of important stuff rather than cling to ancient and for all intents obsolete (yet wonderuflly cost-effective) technology? :cool:

If a harddrive fails yes you can often get most or even all out of it. The cost of doing so however is prohibitive even for many companies and particulary home users.

Thus we always choose to take it on the chin instead. I don't know of anyone ever who paid many hundreds or even thousands to have a harddrive datamined after a crash and I've been interested in computers since the early 80s at least.

SSDs don't seem particulary bad to me from that respect. Manufacturers know if they're to make an impact on the storage market their products can't die on a regular basis. it would crush their business.

Peace.

Isn't that why we should keep backups of important stuff rather than cling to ancient and for all intents obsolete (yet wonderuflly cost-effective) technology? :cool:

If a harddrive fails yes you can often get most or even all out of it. The cost of doing so however is prohibitive even for many companies and particulary home users.

Thus we always choose to take it on the chin instead. I don't know of anyone ever who paid many hundreds or even thousands to have a harddrive datamined after a crash and I've been interested in computers since the early 80s at least.

SSDs don't seem particulary bad to me from that respect. Manufacturers know if they're to make an impact on the storage market their products can't die on a regular basis. it would crush their business.

Peace.

Many times a HDD can die but you can still manage to salvage the data off it as a slave drive. This is especially true with failures caused by mechanical wear and tear. SSDs to me really seem like a time bomb that could go at any second, i just dont like it. I dont have huge experience with SSDs either but the other thing that bothers me is data on flash memory seems like its the easiest of any type to corrupt even during basic every day operation.

The good thing about SSDs is that they have no moving parts. The less moving parts in a system generally the better, and most often the higher the performance and stability.

While the higher performance and stability are still being worked out, it seems to be that SSDs will be the future regardless, especially once PMR recording technologies in current storage media are exhausted, or performance itself hits a ceiling (which in MHO it already has for all intents and purposes).

Back