Sea of Thieves [XO, PC, XGP, PS]

Oh man that was intense. Great game! But I got to quit those late night snacks. LOL Making slow progress on the company rankings. Somebody is already level 50 on Merchant Alliance. We may have our first Pirate Legend soon & our first look at what happens when you get there.

BTW I won a giveaway on the Rare forums by one of the biggest community members there. I'll post a pic of what I got when it gets here. ;)

Tommy McClain

Oh man that was intense. Great game! But I got to quit those late night snacks. LOL Making slow progress on the company rankings. Somebody is already level 50 on Merchant Alliance. We may have our first Pirate Legend soon & our first look at what happens when you get there.

BTW I won a giveaway on the Rare forums by one of the biggest community members there. I'll post a pic of what I got when it gets here. ;)

Tommy McClain
nice tommy! And last night we downed the Kraken too!
Post the pic, the guys will want to see the picture on our slack.

Reminds me of the time the first player became a Jedi in star wars online. That was totally worth following as a story

I need some more crew time and haven't yet tried out a PUG so if anyone wants another crew member, hit me up.

what is your GT Malo?
MaloTheYak

Sailed around solo for a bit last night, found a bottle with a map that had no less than 6 chests! Ended up hauling each chest to the beach where my ship was anchored out of site a bit then once all the chests were there I quickly carted them to the ship and set sail for the nearest outpost... where there was a galleon so I immediately set sail for a distant outpost and handed them all in. Unfortunately they were all crappy chests and only got around 800 gold total lol

MaloTheYak

Sailed around solo for a bit last night, found a bottle with a map that had no less than 6 chests! Ended up hauling each chest to the beach where my ship was anchored out of site a bit then once all the chests were there I quickly carted them to the ship and set sail for the nearest outpost... where there was a galleon so I immediately set sail for a distant outpost and handed them all in. Unfortunately they were all crappy chests and only got around 800 gold total lol
Good job! Hopefully I will be on tonight. Seems like I can't get on 2 nights in a row. :/

Btw, been reading some amazing stories on Twitter & Reddit...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realmacrane/status/979292102776336384

Tommy McClain

there is a completely new game!

holy first legendary pirate. took an hour to break the riddle, new quest givers and voyages and levels

People are quite salty that he was using his stream watchers to power boost through the levels by having them perform multiple quests, invite him, cash in the treasure and the jump to another group doing the same.

#NotMyPirateLegend

I think the entire think is funny. Particularly when it surrounds a game that is pretty much just funny in its own right.

I would have thought cash in rewards would be limited to those in the crew when the voyage was voted on, not whoever is in upon hand-in. Lame way to level as the game is about the journey far more than many games.

That would create too many problems with people jumping into ships that were already underway. They'd have to change the entire lobby and match making to accommodate new vs underway voyages otherwise people would join a game, see that it was already on a voyage and then quit continually until they got to a new one. And to be honest, I think match making is one of the reasons why they created the progression system the way they did. If veteran players have no advantage over new ones, there's no reason to create a match making system and let's face it - one of the main problems for new multiplayer games are their unbalanced or broken match making systems.

People are quite salty that he was using his stream watchers to power boost through the levels by having them perform multiple quests, invite him, cash in the treasure and the jump to another group doing the same.

#NotMyPirateLegend

I think the entire think is funny. Particularly when it surrounds a game that is pretty much just funny in its own right.

I'm a little salty about it but definitely not like most people. What he did while not cheating is definitely borderline exploitation. I wished the first Pirate Legend did it by by actually starting & finishing voyages. But I will say the way he did it was probably one of the most pirate ways to do it. LOL

Now it's happened hopefully Rare will finally be transparent with the Pirate Legend rewards & other plans they have. Next week the Game Pass 14-day free trials will end & they will need to make sure they have that carrot on the stick to keep them subscribing or purchasing the game outright. Do or die time.

Tommy McClain

That would create too many problems with people jumping into ships that were already underway. They'd have to change the entire lobby and match making to accommodate new vs underway voyages otherwise people would join a game, see that it was already on a voyage and then quit continually until they got to a new one. And to be honest, I think match making is one of the reasons why they created the progression system the way they did. If veteran players have no advantage over new ones, there's no reason to create a match making system and let's face it - one of the main problems for new multiplayer games are their unbalanced or broken match making systems.
Then add in a simple time barrier. If you haven't been part of the crew for at least 10 minutes, you don't get the reward. If I jump into a crew that has just arrived at an outpost and hands in a chest, I shouldn't get the reward. Even 5 minutes would probably be enough deterrent for this stupid exploit.

I would have thought cash in rewards would be limited to those in the crew when the voyage was voted on...
That's an easy fix. Pirate treasure wasn't shared equally. Apportion treasure based on what portion of the adventure someone was part of the crew. In a one hour mission, someone present in the last five minutes would get 1/12th of the takings.

Well, mathematically you'd get the total number of minutes across all crew-mates, then apportion the treasure based on what portion of minutes each crew member spent on the crew. A mission last one hour. Three players present for 60 minutes each. One player joins in last five minutes. Total minutes = 185. If total gold recovered was 2,480 doubloons, the first three players would each get 60/185*2480 = 804 doubloons. Five minute player would get 5/185*2480 = 67 doubloons. You could even factor in time since something significant happened, so if the sail back is quiet, don't count those minutes.

Thanks for the full crew experience folks. That enemy sloop crew was crazy. I realize I suck at cannons but learning.

Thanks for the full crew experience folks. That enemy sloop crew was crazy. I realize I suck at cannons but learning.
Yep! Had a good time! The rest of us were not doing any better either. LOL What's the saying? Practice, practice, practice!

Tommy McClain

That's an easy fix. Pirate treasure wasn't shared equally. Apportion treasure based on what portion of the adventure someone was part of the crew. In a one hour mission, someone present in the last five minutes would get 1/12th of the takings.

This exploit isn't SoT exclusive. Do you have any examples of games that implement a system like the one you are suggesting?

I need to get into some game sessions with everyone else. I've barely had 30 minute of playing this during this week and haven't been able to finish any quests but did enjoy the time exploring the seas and few islands I stopped at.

Back