Sea of Thieves [XO, PC, XGP, PS]

Haha. Bikeman was dismissive of the game after playing in the BETA, saying there isn't much in it even though it has gorgeous graphics and that he wasn't going to play it when it launched. Just turned on his stream as he's playing it and screaming like a little girl while fighting the Kraken. :D

BUT...

This brings me to something MS really needs to address. I have no more difficulty or problems buying and playing games from the Windows Stores that I do from Steam, but it's like 50/50 with the streams I watch of people that have a flawless experience with the store and people that have to fight the store to get the game and play it with friends. MS really needs to find out what is causing problems for some people and address it, because right now there's a lot of streamers that are commenting on how the game is fantastic, but getting into the game was a royal PITA due to the Windows Store.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I downloaded and logged in today to take a brief look, sailing around by myself on a sloop. I had to tone down the graphics to get a stable 60fps as the game insists that 30fps vsync is perfectly fine.

Was finishing some stuff on Unity last night and glanced at the clock to see it was 23:50 so decided to wait the extra 10 mins to see the launch. Was quite surprised to find that it did unlock and work straight away as soon as the clock ticked past midnight. Didn't do much aside from create a pirate and sign up with one of the factions (skull people?) then bunked down in my ship and called it a night. Looking forward to playing some more tonight unless I get distracted re-doing my Unity asset importers again :)

I downloaded and logged in today to take a brief look, sailing around by myself on a sloop. I had to tone down the graphics to get a stable 60fps as the game insists that 30fps vsync is perfectly fine.
But it is fine ;)

Took off today(freebie for Bday) so I could play at launch last night & today. Plays great. Got it with the 14-day free trial of Game Pass. Will then redeem a 1-month code I got from Bing Rewards. Hopefully I can keep redeeming those until I can buy it for cheap.

There have only been a couple things added that I didn't see during my Pioneer sessions. Looks they bust their ass to get favorites added when trying to pick your pirate. It was one of the biggest gripes I seen during testing. Only been playing solo so far. Waiting on a few crew mate's to play tonight. Been holding off playing Skeleton Forts until then. Also haven't seen the Kraken yet. Been avoiding streams that spoil it. Biggest complaint on the forums has been lack of variety on cosmetics. They did take some of the cosmetics & just changed a few colors. Disappointing but not surprising. They don't need to blow their whole wad on launch so I expect regular updates as we progress.

Real people encounters have been light. A galleon came after me docked at an outpost. Funny thing is I was playing a hurdy gurdy & waving at them & not fighting. They decided to come up next to me so they could shoot their cannons at my ship. They went too fast & rammed the dock eventually sinking their own boat before mine did. LOL

Would love play with you guys. Send me an invite.

Tommy McClain

It's a game I'd like to play with my friends, but I haven't the hardware nor the time. :(
As long as you have Windows 10 I'm sure it will run on anything you have. They made it to run on a potato.

8dfb659f-a017-434e-a41c-38487360f224.png

Tommy McClain

So not a very good experience with either the Xbox system or Sea of Thieves so far.

I have my family setup with Microsoft so they login to their PCs with their child accounts and are restricted. I setup my Xbox profile on the Xbox W10 app, changed the auto gamertag and all is fine. Then I try to setup my sons account and try to change his gamertag and it says I've already used the one free change... really? Sigh.

So I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that my family would already appear in each other's friends list since we're... family. Nope, nothing. No option to add a friend from a family, I have to actually search for the gamertag. ok I add myself on my sons Xbox App and authorize it... nope can't add friends due to privacy. That's fine, by default with child accounts adding friends and playing multiplayer is blocked. Good stuff MS, I appreciate the default settings.

So I login to my family controls on the xbox site to find my sons account there and I'm able to change the setting to add friends. No option to add family only, it's either anyone or no one. So I turn it on and multiplayer as well and go back and add myself onto his account. It works now, yay.

Then I add him on my Xbox app and he's added to the list without any verification from his account... hmmm, because family member? Don't know. He now appears in my friends list, but constantly offline. He's online sitting next to me, not forced offline either. In his Xbox App I show as online... sigh.

SoT finished downloading on his PC. I start a Party by inviting myself on his Xbox App and the Party is formed. We go into SoT then choose Sloop and multiplayer. Into the lobby, neither of us are joined and can't see each other. Press invite button, no friends found. Sigh.

Google some shit and end up on SoT Xbox support page and it shows Xbox Live services having problems... Will try again later.

edit: Status now shows all green. Tried again. I can't find any friends in the search and his shows "Something went wrong with this"

As long as you have Windows 10 I'm sure it will run on anything you have. They made it to run on a potato.

8dfb659f-a017-434e-a41c-38487360f224.png

Tommy McClain
Not even Iris Pro 6200. Intel HD4600. Plus 520p30! Looking at a 1050 minimum, realistically. Unjustifiable for just one game. And one of my friends is Mac rather than PC.Oh, and I'm on Windows 7!

I guess we're holding out for when Iroboto's theories come true and MS release their games on everything!

Really happy with the release version. The world and content is much better fleshed out. The HDR is incredible.

Sorry I didn’t group with you last night Azbat! The servers were so clogged we didn’t want to risk leaving. So I ended up 2 manning the majority of the night and my other buddies staying in their 4 man.

Ideally if there are no login issues tonight we can get more parties and groups going.

Overall, for my group of buddies that mainly destiny and pubg, they all had a lot of fun with this product. I surprisingly wanted to keep playing more, but with the beta I didn’t feel that way. Lots more to do, and lots more content and things to learn

Not even Iris Pro 6200. Intel HD4600. Plus 520p30! Looking at a 1050 minimum, realistically. Unjustifiable for just one game. And one of my friends is Mac rather than PC.Oh, and I'm on Windows 7!

I guess we're holding out for when Iroboto's theories come true and MS release their games on everything!
Sounds like a $200 XB1S would be a better investment. ;) Or we should do a GoFundMe to buy you one. LOL

Tommy McClain

Really happy with the release version. The world and content is much better fleshed out. The HDR is incredible.

Sorry I didn’t group with you last night Azbat! The servers were so clogged we didn’t want to risk leaving. So I ended up 2 manning the majority of the night and my other buddies staying in their 4 man.

Ideally if there are no login issues tonight we can get more parties and groups going.

Overall, for my group of buddies that mainly destiny and pubg, they all had a lot of fun with this product. I surprisingly wanted to keep playing more, but with the beta I didn’t feel that way. Lots more to do, and lots more content and things to learn
It's ok. Logged out of my solo session to play with Rancid & found out they were having major server issues. We never got to play & I ended up going to bed after hours of trying. Really a bummer. Hopefully tonight's better but Rancid won't be available until Thursday or Friday. If you see me on tonight I will be solo again.

Other than those teething problems I've been really happy so far with the end product. Wished I had an XB1X & a 4K TV to see it in all its splendor. Maybe next year.

Tommy McClain

So I ended up 2 manning the majority of the night and my other buddies staying in their 4 man.

Is it possible to have all your friends in the same online instance if you have more than 3 friends around?

Is it possible to have all your friends in the same online instance if you have more than 3 friends around?
with this many players hammering the servers it's improbable. They are spinning servers up and then getting filled immediately on launch day.

With fewer players more likely, it's just a question if you can bucket yourself into the same 'block' of players for the next instance

Mm.. would be nice if you could group up like that before entering.

Sounds like I should wait a while before activating the two week trial for game pass :p

Mm.. would be nice if you could group up like that before entering.

They are looking at plans for that. But they are worried about how it could unbalance the experience for the other players on the same server. Just imagine an armada of players ganging up on a 1-man sloop or two.

Tommy McClain

They are looking at plans for that. But they are worried about how it could unbalance the experience for the other players on the same server. Just imagine an armada of players ganging up on a 1-man sloop or two.

Tommy McClain
yea would be entirely unfair.
I would like to see the ability that if you were in a 2 man skiff, to invite 2 more players and have it become a galleon.

Back