Scud Race and Daytona 2 courses are in Xbox OutRun2 !!

Just want to clarify on the bonus track stuff with extra detail, in
case anyone's desperate...

Bonus Track 1 - Daytona USA 2
Stage 1: Intermediate stage (Fun park)
Stage 2: Expert stage (City)
Stage 3: Beginner stage (Speeway Oval)

Bonus Track 2 - SCUD Race
Stage 1: Beginner stage Day (Bayside)
Stage 2: Beginner stage Night (Airport)
Stage 3: Intermediate stage (Asian culture - mountains, statues and
the like)
Stage 4: Expert stage (European culture - castles and lakes)

Obviously, the courses run into one another with checkpoints dividing
them, rather than being separate. I know that's obvious but... well,
wanted to point it out. Sorry.

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=27398&page=19&pp=10
http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=11234
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=286740&page=2
http://alwaysgame.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000F3V&topic_id=SEGA Forum&topic=

Putting the Daytona 2 course into OutRun 2 like that makes for a rush of background variety so intense it's almost hard to visually process it all. With this engine's draw distance and the detail level of those Model 3 courses, the racing takes place within such fully developed trackside graphics that it makes it feel like there's a little world in there.

tracks from SCUD RACE aka SUPER GT in Outrun 2

dscf0045.jpg

dscf0046.jpg

dscf0047.jpg

dscf0048.jpg

dscf0049.jpg

dscf0050.jpg

dscf0051.jpg

dscf0052.jpg

dscf0053.jpg

dscf0054.jpg

dscf0055.jpg

dscf0056.jpg

dscf0057.jpg

dscf0058.jpg

dscf0059.jpg

dscf0060.jpg

dscf0061.jpg

dscf0062.jpg

dscf0063.jpg

dscf0064.jpg

dscf0065.jpg

dscf0066.jpg

dscf0067.jpg

It's nice how the car retains its candy red OutRun coloring while still blending into the Super GT night-time courses.

dscf0054.jpg

In the actual Super GT, this was one of the more photogenic moments because those planes had lights on them. Other than that, this OutRun 2 bonus track is a sight for sore eyes.

Yeah, like in those - the illumination at the plane as the car drove by.

And wow, at 60 fps still passes for contemporary graphics eight years later.

Lazy8s said:

At 60 fps maybe, but in some of those still shots it passes more for a high detail n64 or psx game, or a low detail dreamcast.(though on psx or n64 you could probably expect 15 fps or lower, but for the dreamcast game I'd expect 60 fps with no hitches)

BTW, Daytona just isn't Daytona without the Daytona song, I want it back!

Lazy8s said:

Looking at it again, it's amazing how much the rose tinted vision affects things..
Everything looks very static, with only flickering light effects ( switching between two fixed colours ) - Things really have moved on a great deal..
Even the texturing doesnt really look that impressive now - lots of repeating patterns everywhere :(

BTW, Daytona just isn't Daytona without the Daytona song, I want it back!

I'll be glad if it weren't in it :D ,I hate that song.

BTW if anyone, want to see some Arcade Scud Race or Daytona 2 time attack footage go here, I was going to post this in my waste the bandwidth track, last time, but you can't direct link to the footage.

http://www.marubaku.com/index_e.html

Once there click on 'MARUBAKU Super-Replay' Then go to the bottom and pick the game you liked.

The videos are direct feed and pretty good quality, and about 100MB each.

They have Outrun 2 time attack as well, but for time attack in Outrun 2, you're required to grip drive most of the time and only drift on certain type of corner, so most of the Outrun video there are pretty boring, if you aren't into time attack.

Crazyace said:
Lazy8s said:

Looking at it again, it's amazing how much the rose tinted vision affects things..
Everything looks very static, with only flickering light effects ( switching between two fixed colours ) - Things really have moved on a great deal..
Even the texturing doesnt really look that impressive now - lots of repeating patterns everywhere :(

The think with Scud race and Daytona is that they may be outdated tech wise now but when you see the scene moving it still looks great. There are very few games that give you the same feel when you look at them. When you look at Daytona 2 especially the second stage with the ship you can't help but say "OMG that looks incredible".

Go and have some fun and play Scud race and D2 again. I am sure you guys will like them even today in 2004

^
well obviously the point of that was, to show how
the Model 3 arcade versions put the Xbox Outrun 2
versions to shame. but I will wait until I actually get
to play Xbox Outrun 2 before making any judgements.

Screens just show a comparison. Xbox OutRun 2 reproduced the courses pretty well, but what it really shows is that the liveliness and detail from an old Model 3 backdrop like that amusement park still make for impressive stuff today.

I got the Outrun Demo and man this is my game of the year even from just the demo. It is so awesome. There has been a very few games where you just pick it up and can play instantly!!

This one also has maybe the best GFX of any console racer to date!!! :oops:

Very impressive stuff and the gameplay is the best bit

Back