Screen size and viewing distance - Vita works!

Butta

Regular
Someting occured to me just the other day when I held up my iPhone screen to trying and make it match the size of my 51 inch TV given my 16 foot viewing distance. In order for my iPhone screen to fully take the same viewing area as my 51inch I had to hold it about 6 inches from my face... which is no good at all. The comfortable viewing distance seemed to be at about 1 foot, which is typically the distance at which I hold my iPhone when trying to get imersed in something. I then thought of the Vita screen and located an object that had a 5 inch diagonal size (and proper dimensions) and it occured to me that at the 1 foot viewing distance the Vita would occupy the same field of view as my 51 inch that sits 16 feet away. This will be great as I have always found the iPhone screen to be too small for it to be truly immersive. It would be kind of like sitting 30 feet away from my 51 inch and trying to game.

When I've played with handhelds I've always had my hands in my lap, not held in mid-air. That means the distance is much more than 30cm. Perhaps not quite twice that but not far from it either.

Then again last TV I owned was around 75cm viewed at around 3m or so meaning the covered visible area might be roughly comparable.

I had the same revelation and experience with the PSP, and it turns out to be largely true. Definitely large enough to be fully immersed in.

iPhone screen is too small for gaming after you play on iPad. PSP is kinda bearable. Vita, S2 and WiiU should be even better (if you don't like the larger tablet)

The 3ds screen is definitely on the small side. Quite a bit smaller then the PSP screen actually. That only bothers me when I play in 2d though. Flip the 3d slider and it's like looking through a small window into a much bigger world on the other side. All of a sudden Mastersword-equipped Link looks and feels appropriately manly and heroic. It's really kinda cool. I was about to get rid of the system, but Zelda made me a believer. (as someone who never played Ocarina of Time I'm also absolutely astounded by the quality of the game. It was pretty much the first game of its kind and it just about nailed every single aspect right away. That something like this existed back in 1998 is actually hard to believe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, how's 3DS camera ? I am shopping for a 3D camera to go with my (vapor) 3D monitor. Am looking at 3DS, 3D Bloggie and other cameras.

EDIT: 3DS uses stylus. iPhone uses finger. I think a small screen might be ok with a stylus, but finger gaming should be more natural with a bigger view.

The 3ds camera is a ****ing pile of dog shit. It's even worse than the camera on my Iphone 3G. It's sufficient for taking funny pics of your drunk friends, but that's about it. It also pretty much needs broad daylight to make pictures you can actually see. Nintendo really must have gone out of their way to even find camera lenses this primitive in this day and age.

If you want a 3d camera, look elsewhere.

As for the stylus vs finger gaming remark. So far all the 3ds games use the touchscreen for simple menu navigation and not much else. You can do that just fine with your fingers as well. The virtual buttons are usually designed with this in mind: big and pretty much impossible to miss. I also doubt the 3ds will be seeing touch driven gameplay to the same extent the original DS did. Dicking around with the lower screen in any significant manner is more than enough to lose the 3d sweet spot of the upper screen. Developers will probably focus on the truly excellent analog slide pad instead. I don't think I've seen a single 3ds game at this year's E3 that wasn't relying on more traditional pad-like control methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh-kay.

EDIT: Back on topic. Where screen size for mobile device is concerned... I looked at iPhone 4. Besides screen size, high pixel density makes a lot of difference to me. Much easier to read text, and very detailed graphics. :love:

Sigfried... I'm referring to games like Cooking Mama. I watched a little girl make virtual lunch on a DS. Big button selection is a non-issue.

Sigfried... I'm referring to games like Cooking Mama. I watched a little girl make virtual lunch on a DS. Big button selection is a non-issue.

Yeah, I just don't think you are gonna see a lot of that kinda stuff on the 3ds in the first place. The people who want to play Cooking Mama will do it on a smart phone for a fraction of the price instead.

How is Ocarina of Time different ? It also uses the touch screen for menu selection only ? :(

There should be a Ocarina of Time 3DS game thread.

How is Ocarina of Time different ? It also uses the touch screen for menu selection only ? :(

There should be a Ocarina of Time 3DS game thread.

Just menu navigation. You wouldn't believe how handy it is to instantly switch between regular and iron boots (you can map items to virtual buttons on the bottom screen now). Did you play it back on the N64?

Also: you are right on the game thread.

I shall now stop derailing this thread any further.

Someting occured to me just the other day when I held up my iPhone screen to trying and make it match the size of my 51 inch TV given my 16 foot viewing distance. In order for my iPhone screen to fully take the same viewing area as my 51inch I had to hold it about 6 inches from my face... which is no good at all. The comfortable viewing distance seemed to be at about 1 foot, which is typically the distance at which I hold my iPhone when trying to get imersed in something. I then thought of the Vita screen and located an object that had a 5 inch diagonal size (and proper dimensions) and it occured to me that at the 1 foot viewing distance the Vita would occupy the same field of view as my 51 inch that sits 16 feet away. This will be great as I have always found the iPhone screen to be too small for it to be truly immersive. It would be kind of like sitting 30 feet away from my 51 inch and trying to game.

16 feet that's pretty far back, I normally games around 4 feet from 65" screen. I just find it hard to play when I sit too far from the screen. Vita screen will probably be too small for my taste but going to pick it up anyway, I defenitely prefer something like iPad but 16:9 or wider aspect (12" screen) for handheld gaming. I still feel that Wii U screen is too small and there is a market for portable gaming device with 12" screen.

You sit 4 feet from a 65' screen? That is unusually close for home viewing... Even in a very small room most people would be 8feet + away from a TV screen.

Yeah, I am used to arcade style, so my setup is sort of that way. I move back to about 8 feet for PS Move stuff, but the screen feel small all of a sudden, thinking of bringing in a projector in there but not sure how going to set it all up yet.

You sit 4 feet from a 65'[sic] screen? That is unusually close for home viewing... Even in a very small room most people would be 8feet + away from a TV screen.

THX viewing distance is much closer than people would imagine. 16' from a 51" would very far it is over twice the maximum recommended distance.

I have a pretty short throw in my setup so I'm 8-14' away from my ~115" screen.

Is the size of the psv screen significantly different from the psp(s) one?

5" vs 4.3"

OLED vs LCD

Pixel density is also higher (960x544 vs 480x272, divide by respective screen size)

And of course Vita has capacitive touchscreen.

5" vs 4.3"

OLED vs LCD

Pixel density is also higher (960x544 vs 480x272)

And of course Vita has capacitive touchscreen.
Thanks that's an healthy improvement (especially after behing translate into metric system... :LOL: ) 12.7 cm vs 11 cm. If my calculations are right that's ~+35% increase in screen size (assuming a 16/9 form factor).

I think subtitled movies or games will make a bigger difference. On an iPhone, it's borderline readable for me. On PSP, it's better. Anything larger should be more acceptable.

Back