SCEE creating an iXMF open source Audio Format

FutureCTO

Banned
"iXMF is the first open file format to be devised for interactive audio content.....The file format has the backing of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “We're supporting iXMF in our new audio tools so sound designers can take advantage of the incredible audio processing power of the PS3,” said SCEE’s Michael Kelly.

Story: http://www.devbump.com/story.php?title=SCEE_to_implement_open_audio_file_format
Here is a link to the 59 page pdf draft preview. http://www.iasig.org/pubs/ixmf_draft-v091a.pdf

How do you imagine this technology or idea might change or affect PlayStation 3 usage or Consumer's like us in the future?

Here is a link to the 59 page pdf draft preview. http://www.iasig.org/pubs/ixmf_draft-v091a.pdf

How do you imagine this technology or idea might change or affect PlayStation 3 usage or Consumer's like us in the future?
It will have as much effect for the Consumer as Collada had/has (how has it affected your life for example?). You wont even be able to tell for sure which games used ixmf during development, its purely aimed to ease development by creating a common format for Dev-Tools.

When I read the pdf the first idea I had was interactive EyeToy music playback.
Or XMB music library that could be cued based solely on the amount of onscreeen action.

The detailed of music tags by symbols in addition to file names is still a vague explanation.
Time in iXMF .............................................................................................................................. 9
1.3.1 Marker Positions in Audio and MIDI Media...................................................................... 9
1.3.2 Musical Time Positions ...................................................................................................... 9
1.3.3 Musical Tempo................................................................................................................... 9
1.3.4 Algorithmic Descriptions of Musical Time Positions ........................................................ 9
1.3.5 High Resolution Linear Time (***RATE TBD***) ........................................................ 10
1.3.6 Low Resolution Linear Time (Seconds)........................................................................... 10
1.3.7 Sample Frame Offsets in Audio Media ............................................................................ 10
1.3.8 Tick Offsets in MIDI Media .............................................................................................

It reminds me of http://musicovery.com/index.php?ct=us with a more flexible cuing model.
If combined with motion sensing cues this would result in some great dance parties.
Even better would be an exercise Nano/Sansa like device would select audio tracks or alter tempo to match tempo/heartrate/acceleration etc.

Collada had very little affect on me, except the impulse to look up STD viruses.
Music on the other hand has quite a big effect. Such a setup could use a light sensor to select and play music for times of day/brightness of room and moods. Even have an automatic shut off for when the lights have been out for such and such time. (This ties back to EyeToy or a simple candela sensor.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You say it like it is a bad thing ;). Better games require better tools, right :)?
Sure, dint meant to put their efforts down.
It just wont effect anyone else but devs directly, CTO apparently thinks Games will play that format like MP3s. I predict that most devs will still "compile" iXMF to a propietary format specially tailored to their game needs upon release. Same way retail-games dont support Maya/Collada Files directly, even if everything was created using that Tools/Format.

To me, It just seems like a meta data audio wrapper. However it has a very flexible vague first draft that allows for some very creative thinking.

Since the news response was rather flat, I tried coming up with some elaborate ideas.
It's true that the details focus on developers needs. However there are abstracts in the guidelines that have nothing to do with audio. Such as nameless symbolic tagging? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

With some very peculiar details including audio manipulation of tempo as well as multiple audio stream blending (normal feature for environments, but how about for music transition when using the PS3 as a shuffling music player?) etc it seemed worth pointing out.

Back