Say hello to the GeForce 6800 GT

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by kemosabe, Apr 30, 2004.

1. kemosabe

Veteran

Anyone care to speculate on how this part will stack up against the X800 Pro? :)

Edit: link modified.

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Er a 6800Ultra clocked down 50mhz? The translation is rough reading. It has been suggested that the x800 pro will be a match for the 6800ultra, so a 6800gt I guess would just be slower.

oh and please use url= with a text name for those long link names. Otherwise, it really screws up formatting for the page.

3. DevilsRejection

Newcomer

these damn naming conventions for products gets awfully annoying. Nerither ATI nor Nvidia is good at it, but oh well. And stop speculating we have to wait till may 5th, its not like we are children anymore waiting for our first bike, these few days wll fly right by us.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Uhm, you're newish here so you probably don't know; but speculating like children waiting for our first bike is kind of what we do here before a product launch. ;)

Time enough for hard analysis later, right now it's fun with rumors!!! :D

5. kemosabe

Veteran

Yes, we know that May 4/5 is R420 launch day, but what does that have to do with the specs of the unreleased 6800 parts? :roll:

Edit: Sorry, how exactly does one post a link using url=..... :oops:

6. CyFactor

Newcomer

Just copy and paste the link directly into your message. The UBB should resolve it automatically and create the link for you.

7. nelg

Veteran

I will tell you out of sympathy for the Habs loss.

LOOK HERE

press quote this post and look at the formatting :)

8. kemosabe

Veteran

Thanks, guys. By the way, the translation does suck, but the specs are indicated on the pic in the center.

P.S. The Habs didn't belong in the playoffs to begin with. I actually didn't watch a single minute of tonight's game. :(

9. dksuiko

Newcomer

haha! GT, I like that.

10. lwells

Newcomer

So now we are using car classifications eh? So where is my GeForce 6800 Mach4 Fastback or Shelby Cobra GT500 Fastback? :D

LW.

11. Ardrid

If the specs are right, the GT looks like it's going to completely kill Ultra sales, unless of course NVIDIA plans on bumping up the Ultra's clock to put some distance between the two.

12. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

The naming convetion has gotten just awful lately. For Chris's sakes, you already have a 4-digit number in the name, why don't you use it? Name it Geforce 6750 or whatever. First, you had just the chip name (such as TNT). Then you, added generation numbers, then sufix desigantions, then 3-4 digit model numbers. Pick one naming convention and stick with it, lest you'll be selling Geforce SX 7GT 15400 Pro 200TI PLUS in a few years.

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Just some speculation on my part, but perhaps the 50mhz core and memory down clock is all that is needed to get the 6800 into a single slot with single molex solution.

I really don't know that they can get away with pricing the ultra $100 more than it, I guess we will have to see. There is enough rumor flying around to believe in a 3rd 6800 part and it would certainly fill the hole between Ultra and vanilla 6800, but I am betting the specs on it are all just conjecture at this point.

14. EasyRaider

Regular

Of course they can. As long as ATI doesn't offer something significantly better at the same price point, that is.

At 350 MHz, the rumored GT will offer about 88% of the performance for 80% of the price. That seems just about right to me, although I would normally expect a larger price premium for the top of the line (Ultra).

15. Lezmaka

Regular

GTS instead of GT would have made more sense, at least they've used that one before, GeForce2 GTS

16. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

You think ATi are the only large IHV launching new products on Monday? :)

Some 6800 Ultras are currently being "recalled"...

17. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yes, yes I do. 8)

Are you talking about some reviewer's 6800Us are getting recalled? Or are you implying that they actually started shipping these puppies already but are now bringing 'em back?

18. Vegetto-eX

Newcomer

I knew I was right :) for the "recalled" thing

19. kemosabe

Veteran

Ditto Dig's question. You telling us that 6800 Ultra chips that had already gone out to AIB partners are being called back for tweaking? :shock:

20. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

I believe many partners will ship the "official" spec still (400/550). There's always been scope for clock changes, and I would imagine that on Monday we'll see attention drawn towards a select group of OEMs/custom shops that will be shipping faster NV40s.

No idea whether this is a new stepping or just binned & stockpiled A1s though.