Saudis Make Peace Proposal to U.S., Iraq

pascal

Veteran
Good news, Saudis are trying to make peace!!! http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2508701,00.html
Saudis Make Peace Proposal to U.S., Iraq

Tuesday March 25, 2003 3:40 PM

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) - Saudi Arabia has contacted the United States and Iraq with a peace proposal, the kingdom's foreign minister told reporters Tuesday. He said he was still awaiting a response.

Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal, asked at a news conference whether Saudi Arabia had been in direct contact with the United States and Iraq in an effort to end the war, said: ``We have made the proposal and we are waiting for a possible response.''

He did not describe the proposal.

``I don't want to say we were rebuffed because we were not rebuffed, but nor were we given authorization that they're going with it,'' he said.

The Saudi government has quietly aided the U.S. war effort, even while anti-war and anti-U.S. sentiment simmers among its citizens. The kingdom fears a backlash from extremists.

At an Arab League foreign ministers meeting Monday in Cairo, Prince Saud told reporters he had hoped for a league resolution affirming ``rejection of the military operation, rejection of occupation, and calling for immediate withdrawal.

``It is time to solve the issue peacefully,'' Prince Saud said Monday.
Any other link/info?

Also see that this move is probably to contaim the Arab public opinion and keep the middle east less turbulent.
IIRC Saudis are trying to the keep the oil prices at control too.

pascal said:
Good news, Saudis are trying to make peace!!!

I doubt it.

They are probably trying to put a stop to the violence though. (Which I hope you agree is something completely different.)

Whether or not they are trying to make peace depends entirely on whatever the content of the proposed agreement is.

Also see that this move is probably to contaim the Arab public opinion and keep the middle east less turbulent.

pascal! We finally agree on something!

As to proposed peace, I'm sure that the Saudi government realizes this is impossible. Unless the proposed plan includes the unconditional and complete surrender and exile of Saddam and his regime, it will not be accepted by the US, UK, or the other 40+ nations who support this action. But, if the Saudis are doing it to gain the faith and support of their citizens, then I'm all for the show.

Joe DeFuria said:
They are probably trying to put a stop to the violence though. (Which I hope you agree is something completely different.)
Sorry, I dont get it.
This war has not gone into large scalle urban warfare (some possibilities of "knife fights" and very large civilians casualities) then maybe there is a chance to stop the war.

But anyone has any details?

pascal said:
Sorry, I dont get it.
This war has not gone into large scalle urban warfare (some possibilities of "knife fights" and very large civilians casualities) then maybe there is a chance to stop the war.

There is always a chance to stop the violence between the coalition and Iraq. The coalition could just up and decide to leave tomorrow.

This is different than obtaining peace.

Or do you think there was "peace" between Iraq and the rest of the world before the overt hostilities began?

Is there "peace" between Palestinians and Israel, during the times where there are no suicide bombings or israeli aggression?

MrsSkywalker has it correct. The Coalition will not consider any resolution as one that can sustain a lasting peace, if it is anything other than what the obective of this war is supposed to accomplish through force.

And I doubt Iraq would agree to such a proposal.

It would be interesting, regardless, to find out what the presented deal is.

Joe

Now I understand. I agree that only exile and regime change will be accepted by US. Maybe the Saudis proposal has some nice exile proposal to Sadam and friends. But my hope for peace is small, just a small candle.

pascal said:
Joe

Now I understand. I agree that only exile and regime change will be accepted by US. Maybe the Saudis proposal has some nice exile proposal to Sadam and friends. But my hope for peace is small, just a small candle.

Unfortunately, I believe it has been reported that before the war, several nations have in fact offered exile for Sadam. Obviously, he refused.

Agreed that we can still hope he may change his mind....

For ANY conflict, proposals and ideas of methods to reduce bloodshed or instigate peace should be floored and considered.. regardless of their source.

Saudi Arabia needs to publicize and explain their proposal in order to get public view/peer review on it if they hope for it to go anywhere. Without any details on proposals, it's kind of hard to rebuff or support it. :)

I'll assume that he would have gone into exile in Saudi Arabia - he could have met up with Idi Amin for a coffee and a chat if he'd agreed to go there!

I do not think we should take it, I am sick and tired of letting mass murders off the hook, I think we should kick their trash and put all the criminals on trial at the hague, b/c there are a lot of evil people there.

Sxotty said:
I do not think we should take it, I am sick and tired of letting mass murders off the hook.

I think we should let him go into exile. And then let the Mossad take care of the rest. ;)

Joe DeFuria said:

completely different eh? i don't understand your position on that. could you please present an example of peace with violence?

kyleb said:
completely different eh?

Yes..."eh."

i don't understand your position on that. could you please present an example of peace with violence?

We've been through this before.

I agree that you can't have peace with violence, so I need to provide no example.

A lack of violence is not the definition of peace. Or do you not agree with that?

oh i agree that a lack of violence is not the complete definition of peace; but considering you can't have peace with violence it seems illogical to say the two are completely different.

Back