Sapphire re-introduces AIW's with "Xtend TV"

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Kaotik, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ooooh, very cool. Would buy one right now if it used a passive heatsink instead of an active one.

Oh wait, and if I didn't have a self imposed ban on AMD products right now. :D

Regards,
    SB

3. Davros

Legend

I know sapphire have brought out a special edition 5770 (i think) it can run eyefinity 3 without using a displayport monitor or even an adapter
    it can even do eyefinity 4

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Interesting to see this resurfacing. I wonder how the driver support will be. Ideally the best case would be the ability to use standard AMD GPU drives with separate add-on drivers for the TV Tuner aspects.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I imagine that would have to be the case as this isn't a standard AMD solution. Hence not having a seperate vendor driver included in the Cat drivers (like the Realtek audio drivers).

Regards,
    SB

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

What's up with all the realtek driver talk & amd drivers?
    As far as I know, they have nothing to do with each other, and the ATI HDMI driver at Realteks site is for certain motherboard models and some special X1k-models?
    The HDMI driver included in Cats isn't Realteks, that's for sure

HD5770 Flex, it was called I think?
    Anyway, it just had DP>DVI adapter included on the PCB already, which is why it could do eyefinity "without dp"

7. Sxotty

Veteran

Since my last AIW card died about 1 month out of warranty I don't really want to get another one. Otherwise it is kinda neat.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The audio solution in the video card is by Realtek, and the driver used is by Realtek. One of the common fixes for the silent streaming bug back when 5450 launched was to uninstall the audio driver that came with the Catalyst package and install the one from the Realtek site instead. I know since I had to do this exact thing for that bug and a few others when 5450 launched. In fact my HTPC is using the ATI HDMI driver from the Realtek site instead of the drivers that come with Catalyst because it works a bit better with WHS.

You can do the same with any of the ATI video cards that feature HDMI audio.

Regards,
    SB

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I know the HDMI driver from Realtek works, and even something from Microsoft works - is there actual data behind the claim it's by realtek?

The driver builds are at least completely different between the ones downloadable from Realtek and those in Catalysts.

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The HDMI drivers in the catalyst suite sometimes lag behind the ones on the Realtek site which is why it's sometimes useful to use the ones from the Realtek site.

It's certainly possible enabled features and environment variables may be different.

Regards,
    SB

11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Again, is there any actual proof that the audio drivers in catalysts and/or hardware is done by Realtek, other than the fact that Realtek drivers work too?

They had those ATI HDMI drivers out there a long time before Radeon HD's even existed if my memory serves me right.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

No, those were introduced at approximately the same time as HD 2xxx series. Their only existence is to provide an audio driver for audio over HDMI of ATI video solutions.

I don't think think there's any public acknowledgement from either company. So you'll have to interpret it as you see fit.

1. MB audio on ATI motherboards provided by Realtek uses the standard Realtek HD Audio drivers.
    2. ATI HDMI HD audio driver is only used for audio out from Radeon video cards or integrated video.
    3. Bugfixes appear in Realtek ATI HDMI drivers before appearing in the Catalyst driver suite.
    4. Some video card releases did not work correctly with the audio driver in launch Catalyst drivers provided on included CD, but worked with Realtek ATI HDMI drivers released around the same time. Hence, why one of the first troubleshooting steps is to install the latest Realtek ATI drivers as those will feature newer bugfixes that have not yet made it into WHQL'd or even hotfix Catalyst audio drivers.

Hence why ATI guys on the AVS forums also assume that the audio is provided by and/or licensed from Realtek. As well why the Realtek drivers are often recommended if experiencing problems with audio. Like with the silent streaming bug. Or the fact that 5.1 audio didn't work with Catalyst drivers on my 5450 at launch while it worked fine with the Realtek drivers. A month or two later, the fix from the Realtek drivers made it into the Catalyst suite.

I suppose it may be possible that for some bizarre reason ATI developed their own Audio solution despite not really having any experience in that area, and furthermore then contracted Realtek to make drivers for it.

But considering the Realtek ATI HDMI audio drivers are the same as the drivers for their discrete audio solutions except with certain things disabled and user configuration front end end options removed, I find that highly unlikely.

All I can say is that after 3 months of fighting with the audio on the 5450, I'm absolutely convinced that the AVS forum members are right when they say that the audio is provided by Realtek.

Regards,
    SB

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

On quick glimpse the AVS forum guys are doing everything bug agreeing if they're the same, some say they're completely different, some say they're the same.

Any chance on Dave Baumann to give us official answer? :D

14. Davros

Legend

I'm before you and I want his head.
    and if I have his head he wont be able to answer you will he ;)

15. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Does light glow out of his eyes like in God of War 3?

16. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

Most (if not all) people in the HTPC world say that they are different.
    I use the Realtek drivers because the bug in the AMD drivers bothers me.