Sapphire HD3850 Ultimate (passive) reviewed first time

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by CarstenS, Dec 6, 2007.

1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=623772

It's in german, but google translation might do.

The most important aspects:
    Crysis-Performance is up almost a hundred percent due to 512 MiB onboard (but unfortunately stil barely playable at 1.280x1.024 and the cooler rocks. 3DMark didn't get the card beyond 75° Celsius in an open testplatform.

2. vertex_shader

Banned

Temperature test in open testplatform make no sense from user aspect (i use a computer case for my computer, weird huh? :twisted: )
    Most of the customers using the card in a case and there with active cooling hd3850 can reach ~90celsius.

Where you see this ? 12 vs 14.8 not even close to 100%.

3. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

Oooooh, it's passively cooled? I like!

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

And depending on whether you have good airflow in your case (IE - not just an arseload of randomly placed fans) then it's quite possible it could be even cooler in a case.

Regards,
    SB

5. NovemberMike

Regular

How else would you propose they test the card? This is passive cooling, so a well designed case should actually keep the card significantly cooler than an open air test, in which case it would be more a test of how smart the tester is rather than how good the card is.

6. satein

Regular

Don't get me wrong there...

If you want to see the test of passive cooling card in a "GOOD" case like this Velocity Micro HTPC. The Ananadtech did test the passive cooling 8800GT and the idle temp is about 76C while under load the temp can rise to 106C with 2 case fans installed nearby the passive heatshink. Without any case fans, the temp rises to 111C

Considerig Anandtech as a reference, if it was the close case with 2 case fans on for the passive cool 3850... I think temp would be around 90C anyway :wink: (I know you may say that I would compare the passive cool 3870 to the 8800GT).

7. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Unfortunately that's a bit misleading. The 100-percent-increase was achieved in 1.680x1.050 but it isn't even playable in 1.280x.1024 - to put it in perspective.

8. vertex_shader

Banned

Looks like Sapphire passive cooler is better than the reference with active cooling :lol:
    [​IMG]

9. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

Well, looks like I found my next upgrade.