Samsung "Smart" TVs spies on your convos, shows you unwanted ads

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Grall, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Making waves previously in the week for listening in on and transmitting conversations picked up by it to outside servers ("for improving speech recognition"), Samsung smart TVs are again causing a ruckus. This time for showing Pepsi ads to people who watch their own movie files stored on their own storage devices.

Samsung previously claimed this "feature" would be opt-in only, but clearly lied through their friggen teeth.

Both of these incidents show exactly why I never agreed to the terms of use to my own TV's "smart" features. Next TV I buy won't be a Samsung at all. Shittier company with shittier menu system cannot be found, seriously.

2. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Hmm. This sort of thing is going to become more and more prevelant I think. The Internet of Things will turn us into an Internet of Targets (for ads).

Not sure who to get more riled about in this case. I'd be tempted to phone up Pepsi (or anyone who advertises through such an annoying channel) and tell them I'll never buy their products unless they cease.

3. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

This just goes to show that you shouldn't buy devices over which you have no control.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Might as well not buy Lenovo laptops, computers, tablets, or phones either. As they install an advertising rootkit in the BIOS of some of their devices. There was a bit uproar over it, but I doubt it'll make them stop for long. Wouldn't surprise me if more OEMs started to do this as well.

I suppose at some point you'll want to stop using Apple devices and services as well as Google devices and services if you're worried about this stuff as they both use their platform for advertising and profiling you when you use their devices and services. Microsoft wants to get in on that action as well.

Heck, might as well stop using the internet. :p

Regards,
    SB

Lightman likes this.