Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

If they leverage that to let 3rd-party apps authenticate that way, and even possibly authenticate transactions, then it would go beyond gimmick.

Just to unlock the phone though, not so much.
It'd be great if it also authenticated other apps, but in day to day life, the one thing I unlock the most is the front screen.

Probably not. But they're not even collecting metadata on cell phones yet, only landline phones.

Anyways, an image of a fingerprint is not terribly useful for spies and they could probably determine your identity without having to tie it to a fingerprint.

No. That's a server/desktop chip.

Really?
That had my hopes up.:banghead:
Hopefully they will use the snapdragon 805 (its still to early though) instead of those s800 variants and if they use QHD display with the s800 (8974A B/C) it would be worse than ever performance wise.
Even with the 1080p display and the higher clocked s800 it would not be much of a difference compared to the current generation phones,not worth it.

If it's waterproof, then Sony are in trouble for this waterproof market.

Because Sony phone have touchscreen that work bad while wet.
On the other hand, cheap to expensive Samsung phone works fine while the screen wet.

So Samsung can promote that they can use the touchscreen while wet or even underwater. While Xperia screen need to be pressed before submerged.

*personal experience from using cellphone in bathroom since symbian era. And Samsung + Sony for the following series :
Galaxy gio 150 dollar phone
Galaxy ace 2 300 dollar phone

Xperia sola and Xperia sp, both are priced as 400 dollar phone.

After taking a quick look at Ars's report, there doesn't seem to actually be anything new. Just S801 instead of S800, 5.1" screen instead of 4.99", maybe some camera improvements, and that seems to be it. Maybe it's cheaper, I don't know.

So far, underwhelming indeed.

Fingerprint sensor, which sounds like a PITA to use.

But didn't they also say they would come out with another line with better materials and build quality this year?

Anyways, the timing isn't right for S805 I guess.

But didn't they also say they would come out with another line with better materials and build quality this year?

That was the belief in late December, yes:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_launching_metal_galaxy_f_along_with_s5-news-7458.php

According to them, the Galaxy S line is now suplanted by the Galaxy F.
That rumour already mentioned the S5 would "only" have a 1080p and the F would bring 2160p into the same form factor, along with a metal body and the latest bells and whistles.

Yeah, the S5 is even more of a sidegrade than the S4 was to S3. And they made the smartphone quite a bit bigger, whereas the S4 had managed to do more and better while maintaining the size.

BTW, Eldar Murtazin was saying today on twitter the exact same thing about the new flagship not being the S5, which is why today's announcement was a lot more humble than last time.

That was the belief in late December, yes:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_launching_metal_galaxy_f_along_with_s5-news-7458.php

According to them, the Galaxy S line is now suplanted by the Galaxy F.
That rumour already mentioned the S5 would "only" have a 1080p and the F would bring 2160p into the same form factor, along with a metal body and the latest bells and whistles.

Yeah, the S5 is even more of a sidegrade than the S4 was to S3. And they made the smartphone quite a bit bigger, whereas the S4 had managed to do more and better while maintaining the size.

BTW, Eldar Murtazin was saying today on twitter the exact same thing about the new flagship not being the S5, which is why today's announcement was a lot more humble than last time.

If the GS5 is no longer the halo model, them Samsung should lower the price, that would be an interesting move to exert further pain on its rivals.

its samsung, maximizing profit because everyone thinks its the latest and greatest then announce the F way later. I can see it as a one off thing before F reveal.

I was disappointed with this , it gives apple a huge chance to catch up and the sales rep at my store were told their new quotas for next month and they are the same for an iPhone launch which has been making the rounds as something that will be happening in the middle of march.

I hope the note line up gets a huge bump with the 4. I was also disappointed with the 3.

Back