Saint's Row: The Third

warcrow

Regular
EIC of Game Informer Andy McNamara Tweeted the following (in order):

April cover revealed: Saint's Row: The Third http://bit.ly/fzEcYs

I know Saint's Row is polarizing, but people should try to keep an open mind, there is some very impressive stuff going on...

...which you will see once you get your issue, and the TON of online bonus content we will be running on gameinformer.com this month

The 4 staff members that went to the #Volition came back vibrating they were so hyped from what they saw. They wouldn't shut up.

I know this has probably been stated in this thread but I've just got to add my two cents here.

I really enjoyed GTA4, like a lot. In fact I've played through the entire game twice (including the DLC), but I have to admit I sort of missed the carefree-wacky nature of GTA:San Andreas. Saints Row 2 totally (TOTALLY!) scratched that itch for me. In fact it took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I mean even though GTA4 took a more serious step forward (again, completely awesome though) it made me miss the wackiness.

I think the great thing about these games is they can co-exist very comfortably without causing any open-world GTA fatigue to the game. Even though they get compared quite a bit--and I think it's because of the "gangster/mob" theme more than anything else--they are really different experiences (at least to me).

But in regards to SR3, I do hope the find a way to exploit the really fun gaming bits (like the side stuff because to me that was the stuff that was totally the most enjoyable). My respect for Volition has grown considerable over the last few years and I now have huge exceptions for SR3. I'm really curious where the improvements are going to happen. One thing I'm really interested in seeing are the technical upgrades. Danny Bilson (THQ) stated a few weeks ago they have invested heavily in the technical growth of the game and said "people are going to see the game and say to themselves 'oh, that's where they put their money'".

I think there is a chance here that this game--even though some of us are really excited for it--could possibly be better than we anticipate. I'm secretly hoping they somehow integrate an AutoLog system (a la NFS How Pursuit) for the side stuff. :)

Surprised no one posted yet. I've had a lot of fun with the Saints Row games this gen. I guess not many people here have played the first two?

And I like the Autolog idea warcrow :D

I loved co-op in the second one (never played the first). I'm fairly interested in the third (assuming the pc port doesn't suck again).

I really like the possibility to make a really fancy main-characther.. :) fun stuff.. looking forward to this game.

First Impressions

Note: I've played roughly 4 hours of the single-player game (not coop). This is not a review but my short-and-sweet first impressions . Also: the fun is going to be overused in my description of the game. :)

Graphics
This game looks a lot better than SR1 and SR2, but graphically speaking I don't think SR3 is going to blow anyone away. Technically Volition has managed to smooth things out. There is now more of a steady frame rate, more post processing effects going on, less screen tearing and the animations are better. Overall, it's just more interesting to watch.

What is also wonderful is the wackiness of the game spills out into the overall look and feel of the game. There is a lot of great and wildly fun things going on with the UI; Each mission complete screen is a dramatic screen cap of the action. Every activity seems to have it's own little animation and graphic style.

Sitting back after playing it for a few hours, I realize there was one thought that kept popping into my head about the graphics: Saints Row The Third looks more like GTA4 (graphically!) than I thought it would. The texturing of the streets now look like they have potholes, nicks and are degrading from ware. I seem to remember SR1/SR2 having streets looking like plastic bags taped together. Whatever that means. The point is, the game looks better but it's still lot Skyrim, or even GTA4 (but close).

Also: The UI is snappier and cleaner in design than its predecessors.

Gameplay
I've been focusing on purchasing property and some side stuff to build up my cash flow first so I haven't had too much time with the SP portion, but what I've seen is a lot more interesting and fun to play. The script is now legitimately funny at times, and other times it can be a bit boring and drabble on.

The main mechanic is the leveling system that unlocks more abilities. This level system is based off of respect, which is gathered by doing just about anything that's considered violent or juvenile. :)

The side stuff is great! One of my favorites so far is the Insurance Fraud where you run around trying to rack up as many points in damage (to yourself) as possible. This is done by hitting one of the shoulder buttons, which makes you ragdoll, and then watching your character bounce around a free and rack up cash. So. much. fun.

The Mayhem missions consist of you driving a tank around town and blowing stuff up as you build a multiplies racking up cash.

There are a few more that are also great but, whatever, just go get this game, turn your brain off and enjoy.

Oh and for those that might be curious: The cussing is still there but it's not as aggressively gratuitous as the previous ones. Oh and the use of Kanye West's Power is perfect--you'll see.

Questions? Shoot!

Back