S3: Excalibur with 128-Bit MC taped-out

AnarchX

Veteran
S3 told German CB, that they taped-out a 128-Bit GPU, with some additional tweaks. Launch should be in next three months:
Als kleine Überraschung rückte S3 Graphics mit der Information heraus, dass mittlerweile eine weitere GPU das Tape-Out erfolgreich hinter sich gebracht hat, die auf den Codenamen „Excalibur“ hören wird. Als Besonderheit werden die entsprechenden Grafikkarten nicht mehr auf ein 64-Bit-, sondern ein doppelt so breites 128-Bit-Speicherinterface setzen, womit die Speicherbandbreite bei demselben Speichertakt um einhundert Prozent steigen würde. Darüber hinaus soll es noch einige kleinere weitere Modifizierungen an der GPU geben, die man aber nicht weiter erläuterte. Der genaue Marktstart der Excalibur-GPU ist noch unbekannt. Innerhalb der nächsten drei Monaten sollte es aber soweit sein.
http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/grafikkarten/s3_via/2008/juni/bald_s3-chrome-gpus/

:D

edit: It seems it could be the next-generation-architecture from S3:
http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=6d1eqn8m1897nf2.jpg

E3, E2, E1 - Excalibur, like D referred to Destination Films.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm hopefully it'll work properly and provide somewhat competitive performance but I'd be extremely surprised if it got anywhere close to the competition given S3's track record.

On that note I don't understand how S3 stays in business. Do they have OEM deals in China/Taiwan that are keeping it a float or something? Or is Via just keeping them around so they can market a full platform (w/ S3 graphics) to OEMs?

Is this a multi core?

This still unclear:
Is Excalibur just a tweaked D2 @ 128-Bit?
Is "core" here mentioned as a cluster on one die or something or refers it to a real multi-die architecture?

Last point would be very interesting and would made S3 able to go higher than just mainstream. ::D

Nice, so they have after Aopen another AIB and Multichrome is now supported, paired with performance tuning.

Lets see what Chrome 500 can do...

No, E series is DX10.1 in the schedule at first.

6d1eqn8m1897nf2.jpg

There is a possibility of Excalibur is generation's different low-end
when thinking RV710 to be 120SP and a low-end.

Ever is quite a long time. ;) Back in the early to mid 90's it could be argued that S3 dominated the consumer/business desktop space. I'm sure that's not what you meant however.

I do believe some of the S3 Chrome based cards have made it to stores as discrete cards. ;) Granted not many AIBs have used them recently. And granted maybe not in your local brick and mortar store.

Regards,
SB

There is a possibility of Excalibur is generation's different low-end
when thinking RV710 to be 120SP and a low-end.

Agree!
If it was the first product of a new generation, it would most probabely be a low-end and low profile card. S3G in recently generations always launchs very low-end card first, which is quite different from NV and ATi who usually launch the enthusiastic-level product line first.

Xtealth posted a photo of card with 2 DVI and 1 S-video, it's no way the Chrome 500 card. First, it's should be a low-profile card, Second, they will put at least one HDMI or Displayport connector on it, I think.

About that roadmap posted by itaru, did the 90nm Chrome 4x0 (XD2/D2) ever come out? If so, I definitely haven't noticed. And Chrome 430/440 has DX10.1 AFAIK :unsure:

http://translate.google.co.jp/trans...action.php?ID=9645&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en

Even before the New Year in the company's plan to begin mass production
of videoakseleratorov new series of Chrome 500 - with the support again, DirectX 10.1.
And the first half of 2009 will be the starting point for next-generation architecture, implementing the hardware DirectX 11.
Experimental models of chips currently being developed
under the code-named Chrome E1, should appear in the second quarter.
Industrial same production, according to representatives of S3, due to begin in the second half.

Back