S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (NEW)!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Obakan, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

buy it online, nub

2. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

1) I don't want a digital distribution.
    2) I don't want to pay postage and handling.

3. Davros

Legend

In england Zavvi record stores have stalker clearsky for £20
    (its £35 in gamestop)

4. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Amazon has it for $37 and it's eligable for Super Saver Shipping, so just a few extra days wait if you really want to save the $4~.

5. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Last time I ordered from Amazon in the US, it took over a month to get here. I live in Norway.

6. suryad

Veteran

That just means you should go ahead and place your order now! :)

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Then why don't you use Play.com?

8. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

9. kyleb

Veteran

Got the game from Steam the other day and did pretty much nothing else until I beat it, and I'm already well in to my second playhtough after taking a short break to play the new Crysis. Perhaps it was rougher before the patches, but at least now it is good step up from the orignal, and deserves better than what I've heard from reviews.

Also, I was suprised to find DX10 mode runs respectably on my 8800gt at the medium settings once kick the sun quality down to low, and from there I can get away with the wet surfaces as well.

10. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Does anyone play Clear Sky with a GTX 280? If so, what graphical settings are you using? I can't seen to find a reasonable balance between perf and IQ, so some recommended settings to get me started would be nice (especially since I'm tired of restarting the game to see the result of changes).

11. Davros

Legend

you are struggling on a gtx 280 ?

12. slapnutz

Regular

Posting a resolution would be helpful.

13. Gnerma

Regular

Sun Rays really kills performance, turn it to low or disabled. This is especially important to realize because when you start the game its early morning and the effect is prominently featured.

14. The549

Regular

Any suggestions as to why AA doesn't work for me? I have a ati x1950gt, runs pretty smooth at mostly high...I have the latest drivers. Forcing through the CP doesn't work. Oh and it crashed once so far. Just played for a few hours.

15. kyleb

Veteran

I don't think ATI ever came out with an AA solution for Stalker's DX9 renderer, Nvidia uses supersampling.

16. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

My panel is 2560x1600, so I'll probably be looking to run it in a window, so any resolution is up for consideration really.

And yes, a GTX 280 can be made to struggle quite easily by this game :twisted:

17. kyleb

Veteran

Windowed mode is hell on immersion. I reccomend trying Nvidia's driver scaling with whatever resolution you end up with, it does a respectable job. As for settings, quite a few things can be turned down without loosing much of the look of max settings. If you are trying to mantain as high of a resolution as possible without missing out on much of the graphics, I recomend starting with something like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

That I what I've settled on with my 8800gt at 1366x768, so I'm guessing that should be good for your GTX280 at 19200x1200. note that the Clear Sky camp you start in has some of the most demanding views in the game, so as long as you can get decent framerate there you'll be good for rest.

#277 kyleb, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  18. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

from ign review:
    i had planned on passing on this title anyway. didn't like the infinite respawn areas (when i conquer something i want it to stay that way!), and even got tired of the whole blasted apocolyptic appearance of SoC. but this quote, CLINCHES it. i prefer stealth (something i remember wasn't to successful on shadows either), but this title seems to have gone down the thoughtless twitch road even further. i hated it in DOOM3 (never gonna replay that title i imagine), and i still hate that.

still infinite spawn areas? i wasted SHITLOADS of ammo in SoC thinking i was putting and end to raiding parties, only to find that EVERY TIME i reentered the area they would attack anew. and ammo wasn't easy to come by.

#278 Cartoon Corpse, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  19. suryad

Veteran

Hmm how about grabbing another 280 Rys and turning on the SLI? Didnt the old Stalker fare well with Crossfire and SLI?

20. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

The respawn was ridicolous, I changed the timer for the script but damn was it borked or what. Ended up disabling the respawn but upping character amount on gamestart.