S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (NEW)!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Obakan, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yes games graphics should scale with tech available. And to note that even not running games like Crysis or Clear Sky on maximum but rather medium or high it looks head and shoulder above the graphics fidelity on any other game on other platforms with ease and so it will stay (due to tech reasons of course). :smile:

2. jandlecack

Banned

Heck I wasn't saying I should max out the game. But that it seems to drain more than Crysis looks wrong to me. I know there's some amazing tech going on inside CS but if it doesn't show, then please, give me more performance.

Also, keep in mind, I'm playing at 1280x1024 or 1366x768 (less pixels than 1280x1024), and I still can just about run "High" with 16xAF and no AA, at 25-30FPS. Not like I'm playing in 1080p.

3. Gnerma

Regular

Many games run as bad or worse than Crysis. But it doesn't "count" because they're not Crysis.

4. jandlecack

Banned

Well to me they do... I could run Crysis at DX9 High@Very High cfg settings without FPS below 20 at that res. That's not saying much because 20FPs aren't enough in my taste by far, but yea it looked a helluva lot better and CS gives me the same FPS with ... not so great graphics.

5. Davros

Legend

well the cheapest one at pc world, the uk's largest retailer is £149 i was in there today
    I only checked 1 etailer dabs and they ranged from £97 (256mb) to £198 (1gb)

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

heh maybe we can use this as leverage that Crysis isn't "p00rly 0pt1miz3d". ;)

7. kyleb

Veteran

The problem with Crysis is that even with straight medium settings it still chokes to under 30fps in many spots on anything but a beast of a rig; and, while a reasonable rig can run the game smoothly by kicking a couple key options down to low, the game looks like crap at that point. If Clear Sky's graphics options scale anywhere close to as bad as those of Crysis, then that just means it is also poorly optimized. However, needing an uber-rig to run the highest settings is hardly a bad thing as long as there are lower settings which allow the game to run well on lesser hardware while still looking respectable.

8. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

you forgot to say - largest and dearest UK retailer. Who on a forum like this wouldn't buy from an e-tailer? Dabs stopped being cheap years ago as well. Try Scan, e-buyer, OCUK for prices.

9. Davros

Legend

me -cos i cant :(

10. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Scan has a shop if you live in the Northwest (Bolton).

11. suryad

Veteran

Eurogamer has its review out.

12. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I get the impression that they changed some things that they really shouldnt and made the game a bit more arcady. The battle music surely fells way-off after a cuople of minutes and the aiming is weak.

But they are realeasing patches fast with lots of changes. I will get Clear sky after teh third patch and install some mods. Though graphically its a monster!

13. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

14. jandlecack

Banned

I've run it on XP now. Runs fine (30-40FPS outdoors, 20-30FPS when overlooking the entire Clear Sky Base) on Maximum settings further knocked up. I've maxed out all the bars except for AA which I've set to the second slot. 1280x1024.

German site 4players has given the game a score of 39/100, mostly because it kept crashing on their systems. I have had no crashes in the entire time I've played - not even on Vista.

15. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

If they only tested it on one system and then based the final game score from them on the problems/crashes they had. Then they are as unprofessional as it can get and should be ignored and and filtered out.

16. RenegadeRocks

Legend

WoW! What card do you have? My 4850 is coming back from replacement day after tomorrow, hope it will run it fine. I got 4gb ram and Q9450.

17. jandlecack

Banned

BFG 8800GT OC @ 700/1000MHZ :) You'll be fine, ours are about equal in power (yours having the edge). Also your other specs are worlds beyond mine.

18. almighty

Banned

My 8800GT OCX with me overclocking it some more : 780core/1900shader core/2100mem

And its still 25 degree's C cooler then a standard GT :wink:

19. woundingchaney

Regular

This is a beautiful game. The amount of detail is amazing. I have only played through the first mission. It is extremely apparent that the game is focusing on action more so with the prequel but the storyline already has me intrigued (unlike the initial beginning of the first STALKER).

20. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

It annoys me in no small amount that there doesn't seem to be anyone who has this game in stock in my town. I have one more place to look and then I give up for now.