S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (NEW)!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Obakan, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Obakan

Regular

A new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been anounced!
    You will find answers to such things that was uncleare in the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. Release date is Q1 2008, Enjoy:grin:
    Here´s the link!
    [​IMG]
    Game features:
    Atmosphere of the Exclusion Zone
    Research of new depths of the Zone – Red Forest, Limansk, Pripyat Undergrounds and more.
    A-Life-driven War of the Factions
    Possibility to play and lead any faction to victory
    Advanced A-Life system
    Varied behaviour of NPC stalkers in the A-Life world
    Advanced spectacular storyline scenes
    Improved AI of computer-controlled characters
    Skirting around dynamic obstacles by NPCs
    Use of grenades by NPCs
    Fast Travel
    Improved concept of detectors, artifacts and anomalies
    New system of upgrades for weapons and armor
    Weapons and armor repair
    Reworked HUD and PDA
    New version of the game engine - X-Ray 1.5.
    DirectX 10 renderer
    Improved DirectX 9 renderer - parallax bump, soft particles, depth of field, motion blur, eye adaptation effect.
    Cutting-edge and detailed game graphics (normal map)
    Inverse kinematics
    New animation engine
    :shock:

#1 Obakan, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Looking really good (although it looks like my modded Stalker version!). The full-size ss is even sharper and more detailed!

3. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Not to be a debbie downer, but I want my original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to stop crashing to desktop when I try to escape to the menu screen before I go looking for more...

Dont get me wrong, the game is a lot of fun and looks fantastic... But when I've been playing hard for 50 minutes and go to save my game, only to have it boot me to the desktop (and it does this several times per night) then I get unhappy.

Sorry, just had to vent a tiny amount. I patched myself to current so that I could hopefully get rid of this issue -- which succeeded in obliterating all my previous save games, as well as not fixing the issue I so desperately needed. Now I get to start all over again :(

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Im sorry to hear that you have problems with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I have had no problems at all, well actually no problems at all with any of my games except for SP: DA. Perhaps it may be something interefering such as AV or other software or even an overclocked component?

5. Albuquerque

Veteran

Been there, done that.
    100% stock OS install with all MS-pertinent updates, bone-stock BIOS settings (ie no overclock and default timings, et al), brand new 100% current drivers and it bombs just the same.

Same as above, but with stripped services, absolutely nothing at startup, 1-step back older drivers, and it still bombs.

Back to my "normal "config, which is the above plus a gratuitous overclock that is 24 hours of dual-prime stable while simultaneously doing 24 hours of ATI tool's fuzzy cube of death... Still bombs. No other app has any problems at all.

Nothing in the event log, no returned error code if you try to capture an "ERRORLEVEL" variable from starting it via command line. It's not the PC, it's not the OS, it's not the patches, it's not the drivers, it's the application.

6. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Use quick save?

7. Albuquerque

Veteran

You mean the F6 bind to "Save Game"? It doesn't work at all, even if I re-bind it to a different key. This is with the most recent 1.0003 patch too.

Forgot to mention, and it's likely pertinent: I'm using Vista Home Premium (32-bit) as my OS. You're not supposed to need the /largeaddressaware "hack" with the most recent patch, but maybe it still does?

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

No clue, never had any desktop crashing at all with STALKER, only really bad performance (probably because my card only has 256MB). Otherwise there were none of those bugs always mentioned for me.

Isn't the next patch to the game suppose to support the free form gameplay with factions, etc? Mainly this is what I'm really interested in as I would like to just not do the story at all but simply explore, work with factions and do those missions. I want to become a STALKER in STALKER.

9. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

So whats MP like in STALKER? Yet another horror story, like Dark Messiah, that resulted in MP failing to work....

10. kyleb

Veteran

Last I checked, multiplayer is a fest of people skating around without even aniamating movement even with ~50ms pings. Besides that it can be fun; DM, team DM, and neutral flag CTF with random spawn locations for the artifact (flag), all set in the Stalker gameplay style with buying weapons, armor, heathpacks, and such as you spawn off money you earn for kills and captures.

Anyway, I just installed the game on my new Vista setup and patching directly to 1.0003 and cranking the in game options I'm stuck with borked shadows. Anyone know what settings need to be tweaked to keep the shadows from glitching out on the sides of the screen and also to keep them from looking like massively pixilated crap in the distance?

11. Albuquerque

Veteran

I noticed that too, but wrote it off as an NVIDIA driver bug -- but I never really followed up on that being the true case. Sooooo, what video hardware are you using? The pixellation doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but the funky blocky glitchiness at the sides of the screen def is. It's really noticeable in the Old Trader's tunnel in that first level...

12. kyleb

Veteran

Nah, I'm using x1950xtx so the stretched shadows defiantly isn't a Nvidia specific issue. I saw someone a while back mention a configuration variable to fix it but I don't recall exacty what it was or where I saw that.

As for the pixilated shadows, it's just a problem that comes up when you let the 1.0003 patched game write a new config. I can use my old config off my XP install, that was created prior to any patches to avoid that problem, I'm just not sure which variable I need to adjusted when working from a 1.0003 generated config.

13. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

It`s a bug that`s been introduced by one of the patches. Try www.thefloatingpoint.org for a fix(if I remember the link correctly).

14. kyleb

Veteran

Huh, I dug around that site for a while but didn't find anything about how to fix the shadows. Perhaps it is best to just uninstall and go back to the 1.2 patch for now, eh?

15. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

http://www.thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.5. Don't go into the digging business:D. And the quality of the shadows in the distance is dependant on shadow-map resolution...you could try the guy's float32 modification, it bumps that up and enables fetch4 on R5xx parts(something you'd like).

16. kyleb

Veteran

Bah, I searched the news posts for 'shadows' instead of 'shadow' and then went to the forums to find a post about the problem made by the guy who runs the site but no mention of the fix. Anyway, thanks for the tip, now I just have to dig up my old config so the pixilated shadows in the distance caused by the 1.0003 generated config.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I found an acceptable solution that worked for me (Nvidia card 7900GT) but should work generally. I think I wrote it in the other Stalker thread to. :smile:

r2_sun_near_border 1.0 (this has to be set to 1.0) ,, this one should fix it otherwise you need to combine it with this variabel, r2_sun_near 40 (set to 40-50).

If you get a "fine grill mesh" on top of the textures then set -smap4096 to the games shortcut to get rid of that artifact.

18. kyleb

Veteran

Huh, the r2_sun_near causes glitches in the shadows at anything but default, and -smap4096 is hell on framerate, but r2_sun_near_border 1.0 does the trick for the glitched out shadows on the side. I still have the pixilated shadows in the distance though, and it seems I my the old config which didn't have that problem. Oh well, I suppose I've got other stuff to play and might as well just wait for the supposed freeroam patch before messing with the game any further.

19. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Yeah? I haven't had a framerate counter running, but on my x1900xt 512 + X2 4600+ @ 2.88ghz, between it left at default and set to 4096 I saw absolutely no difference in performance. Or is it really bad on 256mb cards or something?

20. kyleb

Veteran

I'm using a 512mb x1950xtx with an e6400 @ 2.53ghz and I didn't have a framerate counter running either but it was definitely in the teens. Any chance you could upload your user.ltx so I can give that a try?