S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by slapnutz, Aug 22, 2009.

1. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

They really pimped those shadows that got fuzzier as distance from the occluder increased, so if they didn't include that in the final game I'd be surprised.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...206444&article_id=695861&page=1&show=original

2. PhilB

Regular

Yeah besides DX11 and one or two features here and there, CoP looks pretty much identical to CS. Most of the improvements come from some optimization and artistic things. Actually if you have both CS and CoP you could drop the CoP shaders into the gamedata folder and get a nice 5 to 15% increase in performance.

3. almighty

Banned

Yep, Already done that :wink:

4. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

It doesn't work for me. The game starts with "You need a graphics card with PS 1.1 support".

If I set Sun to Maximum (Ultra), the game (CoP) doesn't wont to start.

#84 Arnold Beckenbauer, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Arnold did you put the CS shaders into CoP? That's backwards. :D

6. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Hahahahaha.

7. cp2009

Newcomer

I will jump into CoP as soon as I'm done with Clear Sky. I don't understand what the complaints about Clear Sky were all about. Sure, even with the patches, you will get those annoying crash-to-desktop bugs but it's not that bad. The game itself is much more trimmed compared to SoC but the faction wars and the upgradable weapons make the game much more well-rounded. Artifacts no longer roam the land randomly, you have to look for them in anomalies, making it a risk vs. reward mini-game. CS vanilla looks even better than SoC Complete 209, the lightning effect when it rains is something else to behold. In doors it knocks Crysis off its sock. The only major complaint is the lack of interactive physics. Hopefully Stalker 2 will take care of that department.

EDIT: I think the charm of the STALKER series is that the games are NOT perfect. It's like a perfect woman who comes to posses one physical unattractive trait - it's that quirky portion that makes her interesting. But once you get to her know her well enough, you forget about that. It's the same with STALKER. You come to appreciate the "quirk". An example of such would be all the weird music they put into the factions' bases (like the overly-heroic flute theme in the Loners' base in stalker Agroprom)... they're so cheesy but somehow it fits into this horror sci-fi game, it's like a temporary escape from just how terrible the Zone is. I like how the dialogs often alludes through mini-stories about a world that obviously no game with even a limitless budget can deliver. It really allows YOU, the player, to read and imagine all the different scenarios that can take place in the Zone. Plus, it's a PC EXCLUSIVE game in a time when consoles have almost taken over everything. You can always count on the Europeans to deliver something fresh.

#87 cp2009, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  8. cp2009

Newcomer

Yeah Bioshock blew ass. After you get pass the shiny graphics there's not much there. The story is random at best, due to how limitless (for once this is a bad thing) their world is. Too many stupid minigames. Everything is indoors, in corridors, and to get pass a barrier you must decode something. Basically it's DOOM with friendly NPCs, some basic RPG elements and puzzle games. It was the Halo of 2007.

9. swaaye

Legend

I think Clear Sky had some serious issues when it came out, but at this point it's not that bad. I've only had CS for the past few months though so I missed the early on drama. Some parts of the game are rather unforgiving to say the least though. And it becomes really linear later on.

#89 swaaye, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  10. green.pixel

Veteran

Why btw?

In Stalker games, it's all about the atmosphere IMO, not much about the sandbox elements of the game. If the atmosphere clicks with you, then you are done. :)

11. Ancient

Newcomer

12. Ancient

Newcomer

http://davelee3d.com/projecthighlight.html

13. findhorn_elves

Newcomer

ive finished this game its the most stable initial realease of the STALKER series meaning its the most playable and enjoyable of all 3 and yes there are still bugs but i liked it enough to finish it

14. swaaye

Legend

It definitely is the most finished product yet from them. I liked it a lot. A bit stuttery though.

15. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I'll buy it when Complete mod is out for it and I hope it will change the TODs like CM for first Stalker game. Jeez does COP have some of the shittiest TODs I've ever seen making a game with lots of state of the art tech look really bad.

16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Indeed, I've waited for the Complete mods for the first and 2nd before playing them, much nicer experience.

17. Davros

Legend

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Time of day files, also called weather files. They contain all lighting/color parameters and weather conditions.

19. swaaye

Legend

I thought CoP looked pretty nice in stock form.

20. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

It's state of the art indoors/outside but insdie buildings. Problem is outside at certain conditions.. or most conditions have IMHO bad TOD. It could look so much better ditching the brown/yellowish tone and tweakign colors. Clear Sky has far better vanilla TODs.