Russian man dies in searing heat at sauna contest

110C dry air isn't so bad. You start to sweat a lot, which cools you to some extent. 1/2 liter's worth of steam every 30 seconds however... URRGGGHH. That's going to cause your skin to literally cook before long... The blood flow in the capillaries won't be enough to cool the epidermis against such an onslaught.

In his sixties above boiling point...not very bright...both men bleeding from burns. Smart.

110C dry air isn't so bad. You start to sweat a lot, which cools you to some extent. 1/2 liter's worth of steam every 30 seconds however... URRGGGHH. That's going to cause your skin to literally cook before long... The blood flow in the capillaries won't be enough to cool the epidermis against such an onslaught.

110c isn't that bad? At that temp, your body is boiling. You hear people dieing even at 35C, I can't imagine 110c.

110c isn't that bad? At that temp, your body is boiling. You hear people dieing even at 35C, I can't imagine 110c.

Maybe you should go read a bit about sauna on Wikipedia or somewhere and hopefully it won't feel so unbelievable after that mkay?

Last edited by a moderator:
ever noticed your hand is not burning when you pry that pizza or piece of dead turkey from the oven?

you're putting it through 200C or more hot air (I found that amusing when I heard of it). Dry, stationary air is just not that great of a heat conductor at all.

110c isn't that bad? At that temp, your body is boiling.
You've never actually been in a sauna, I take it? :LOL:

It's definitely hot, and staying in such air for too long would of course be bad for you, but for 15-20 minutes it's no biggie provided you're of otherwise sound health. As mentioned, DRY air is a poor medium for storing and conducting heat.

Steam-laden air at 110C is an entirely different matter...

You hear people dieing even at 35C, I can't imagine 110c.
People die of 35C temps because they spend all day long in that temperature, don't drink enough, and become dehydrated. ...Or they might have a bad heart or other medical conditions.

I'm certain that those two did take painkillers before the contest. Nobody can take burns like that and just sit still and give okay-signal, like they did just before they were taken out of the sauna.

edit: Which indeed is another point speaking for the Darwin award...

Back