Running my own website(s)? *spawn*

harriffer

Newcomer
I hope this is the right place for this - basically I'm pretty new to web hosting, but I'm wondering about how suitable Windows 10 is for the purpose. I've heard before that Linux is a popular option, allegedly because it's more stable, secure, and is free, but I'm just wondering if it's really worth changing operating systems for it. I was reading up a bit on the differences here, but there's no specific mention of Windows 10. Does anyone have any experience with using it for web hosting, and would it be worth my while to give Linux a go?

Windows 10 is not a server platform. it makes no sense for Web hosting.

Use a Server OS variant for web hosting.

If he just wants to host his own personal website does he need a server o/s ?

If it's going to be on the internet (hosting his own website) then you want a hardened os.

W10 isn't that bad. I got w10 running 24/7 on a Intel NUC for my Emby media server and some VMs but it's mostly online. The only w10 related downtime I had was because after an update w10 ignored some custom startup settings.

For a personal website were uptime isn't critical w10 should be fine.

What do you do if you have a great site setup, but have no clue how to customize it? Is there a user-stupid interface that I could use from Win 10 to make changes to my phpBB install on Apache2 Ubuntu?

I got control of Elite Bastards server and with the help of some good friends it's all updated and running, but I'm clueless as how to customize/add a front page to it. Is this a good thread to inquire in?

W10 isn't that bad. I got w10 running 24/7 on a Intel NUC for my Emby media server and some VMs but it's mostly online. The only w10 related downtime I had was because after an update w10 ignored some custom startup settings.

For a personal website were uptime isn't critical w10 should be fine.

Once again, Not if you're going to expose it to the internet, where others will perform hack attacks against it.

What do you do if you have a great site setup, but have no clue how to customize it? Is there a user-stupid interface that I could use from Win 10 to make changes to my phpBB install on Apache2 Ubuntu?

I got control of Elite Bastards server and with the help of some good friends it's all updated and running, but I'm clueless as how to customize/add a front page to it. Is this a good thread to inquire in?
For forum software there's usually plug-ins you can find to add things like content pages and other modules to create a kind of homepage to it.

Alternatively you simply have the forums as a sub folder and code a specific homepage. depending on what you want out of the page depends on how complex you want to get for coding and utilizing frameworks etc.

Myself and many folks here have been doing this kind of thing for a long time so I'm sure we could help out.

I don't know Linux. :oops:

I've pretty much given up and accepted I'm just gonna have to sit down and do some good old fashioned learning/self-educating. Like it's been said, I got a lot of friends around here that I can get help from if I need it so as long as I put some effort in to it I figure it shouldn't be too bad to learn.

I'm just putting it off since I'm focusing on some family stuff right now and I don't have the free time to commit to it, or at least that's what I keep telling myself. I think a lot of it is I'm just a bit lazy about it. LOL

I have putty so I can SSH in to the server, and I had a buddy help me install MC so I got to see what I'm doing. Now I've just gotta get an FTP up and working so I can modify/add files to the site, I'm having trouble doing it through SSH and I don't want to just keep mucking around with it until I break it..gonna try and know a bit more about what I'm doing before I do it. Time to get back to the basics and that starts with RTFM big time for me! :D

It's a project of love for me, and sort of a goal. I wanna be able to run/update/maintain the place on my own. Not that it's my place, there's a group of us...but if I can run the whole place I can make sure it keeps going and that I got a place to keep a permanent diary of my life. My kids used to LOVE to read the old EB stuff, from like back from when my son was born. One of the reasons I posted so much is that I didn't ever expect to live this long so I wanted to leave something for them to at least get a bit of a flavor of who I was, but it turned in to a cool life diary for me to reference for dates and info...my own personal little google. :p

It'll happen, it'll happen. I'm long overdue from learning Linux, so I gotta start.

EDITED BITS: Malo called it before I could even finish posting. :)

SSH is not hard to use for file transfers (unless you try to add and manage keys for authentication, mess up the server side configuration, sure it would suck to lock yourself out)
You just need either Filezilla or WinSCP as client software.
FTP is crummy, extremely old, Leonid Brezhnev was still around back then. It still works fine obviously but is considered insecure, good for public read-only archives.

I've done some website maintenance and updating simply from Visual Studio (2015 Community Edition is free and can do basically everything). You have the files you want to maintain in a project, and then you can setup a publish location using all sorts of stuff, either just by right-clicking a file and choosing publish, or publish the whole site, etc. You can simply switch between Debug/Local to update a local copy of the site etc. Most Linux type stuff can easily also be run on a Windows 10 machine as typically it is all file based, and that which isn't either can be done on the server through websites (often even has to be done that way, depending on where it is hosted) or there are good Windows clients (WorkBench for MySQL stuff etc).

I've had dual boot Linux for ages, but never really needed it, and when Ubuntu corrupted itself for the upteenth time after an update I gave it up. That's not to say that Ubuntu et al are bad, not at all. But if I would do it again now, I would simply go for a Raspberry Pi and set that up, or install Ubuntu on a fast memory stick and boot it from there.

I've done some website maintenance and updating simply from Visual Studio (2015 Community Edition is free and can do basically everything). You have the files you want to maintain in a project, and then you can setup a publish location using all sorts of stuff, either just by right-clicking a file and choosing publish, or publish the whole site, etc. You can simply switch between Debug/Local to update a local copy of the site etc. Most Linux type stuff can easily also be run on a Windows 10 machine as typically it is all file based, and that which isn't either can be done on the server through websites (often even has to be done that way, depending on where it is hosted) or there are good Windows clients (WorkBench for MySQL stuff etc).

I've had dual boot Linux for ages, but never really needed it, and when Ubuntu corrupted itself for the upteenth time after an update I gave it up. That's not to say that Ubuntu et al are bad, not at all. But if I would do it again now, I would simply go for a Raspberry Pi and set that up, or install Ubuntu on a fast memory stick and boot it from there.
YES! THIS! THANK YOU!

Something I can make the site in windows with and then just publish it all up to the server, that's exactly what I've wanted! Now I just gotta get it set up, but thank you for showing me another big piece of this puzzle!! :D

Just to elaborate, I'm sort of understanding on how the server works. Not totally, but I get if I want to update styles I put those files in this directory on the server and then it'll show up in my Admin control panel thing and I can muck with them. Samey-same with the homepage, it's just some html coding tying in one of the forums to feed in to it and I just gotta name it such-and-such and put it in the right spot. It was the developmental software for the page design/layout/styles that was killing me since I'm clueless about Linux and thought I'd have to do it in that, but if I'm reading you right I can make the whole site in windows and then just upload my files to the server. (I'm pretty sure there's a few things I'll have to do server side after that, but I'll cross that bridge once I get a website up. :) )

Thanks again, your post really brought some clarity to the problem for me. :)

Back