Rumour: Rockstar Working On New Max Payne expected for 2009... No PC version rumoured

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Link to dbtechno.com

Of course, it might just be a benign omission from the news writer, or a simple information incomplete rumour... But why should we expect the best when it's much funnier to expect the worse? So, it's time to fly into a rage, PC folks, let Rockstar feel your wrath!

:razz:

Now, more seriously, if this rumour is correct, as far as platforms go, I'd expect the PC version to be released 6 months later, just to give the the console versions more appeal. Some publisher consider that having a PC version out on the same day could cut into their console sales since they expect a sizeable chunk of the Console/PC owners to be tempted by a pirated PC version. Now, is it the result a flawed logic or not, that's another debate, I guess.

Anyway, let's talk about the game and the franchise. Marky "strictly hip-hop" Mark, Hollywood, Consoles only, no Remedy... Could be interesting (negatively or positively), I guess.

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

AAAAARRGHHH PC brigade to the attack!

OK now that that is out of my system then Rockstar better make the story really good becouse that was the pride of the previous Max Payne games. And I am sure it will come out for PC, piracy or not. Hasn't all Rockstar games always been announced for consoles to later hit the PC BTW?

3. SugarCoat

Veteran

Uh when did Remedy sell the rights to the game to Rockstar? I know they did the console ports... Excellent chance indeed if Rockstar was the sole developer that it would get ported to the PC, but without Remedy i really could care less and would fully expect a GTA clone. Bring on Alan Wake is all i have to say.

#3 SugarCoat, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008
  4. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Apart from the presentation of the story and the acting, the other great part about the two games thus far was that they were easily modded, and if part three is being developed with consoles first in mind, then I hope the developers will give the PC version the attention it requires when the time comes.

I do wonder how the story will unfold considering that the events in the second game continued and finished off a lot of character stories that began in the first game; I loved how they kept continuity and added some twists with Vlad, Vinnie, Woden et al. Of course, there's that ambiguous dual-ending too...

Perhaps they'll bring back Project Valhalla and the Valkyr drug...

The first game had that gloomy blizzard theme... Second game did the constant raining. Maybe the third game will be blazing hot and humid? :p (Greenhouse Effect :runaway: )

Quite awhile ago! [strike]At least, around the time they started doing Alan Wake.[/strike] :)

Apparently, Remedy sold the rights in July 2002, well before the retail release of MP2.

5. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Hmm Vy, no PC version expected but you post this here? You tease! :eek:

Anyway, from what I remember Max Payne 2 had really sub-par sales numbers. While a console release could fix that I don't get this sudden interest in a Max Payne 3 (that with the impending Movie etc.).

I liked Max Payne (1) but didn't bother getting the sequel because by everyone's comments the game lasted less than 10 hours. If they want to get me interested again they have to guarantee at least 15 hours.

Incidentaly that's why I didn't consider CoD4 my 2007 GotY; yes it was great (the SAS missions at least) but in hindsight I should have waited for the price to come down to 40 euros or whatever before going for it. If you care for the MP it's better value but right now my multiplayer interests are elsewhere.

Anyway, Alan Wake is looking promising and I don't know if Rock* can capture Remedy's film noir atmosphere of the franchise. As someone said Max Payne is not GTA.

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I'd never thought of it that way before but I can understand their concern now that you mention it.

Max Payne 3 not coming to the PC would be a real kick in the teeth for PC gamers. Coming out 6 months after the console versions would only be slightely less of a kick in the teeth - perhaps merely a finger in the eye.

Hell, just an announcement that doesn't mention the PC has got to be at least a slap on the forehead!

Dissapointing indeed, but unfortunatly, hardly unexpected.

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

Max Payne 2 is one of my all-time favourite PC action games. It was too short, but you unlocked this timed mode after you'd finished the game. Resident Evil 4 did the same thing, where you have a subsection of a map and you have to see how long you can survive with infinitely respawning enemies. Me and my took turns playing through the story in a day, and then we must have spent another ten hours playing that survival mode. I also liked the game enough to play through it a couple times on the harder difficulties. It was short enough to do that.

8. sonix666

Regular

Max Payne 1 was brilliant. Max Payne 2 was way too short for what I payed for it. Max Payne 3 is being released along side the movie. In general that means that the movie sucks, because its based on a game. And if the 3rd game is based on the movie, it sucks as well, because games based on movies generally suck. In short, I can't even be the slightest mad that this game is console only. ;)

9. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

I hope so. I need more Lords & Ladies! :razz:

10. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

do any of the consoles have a TRUE keyboard/mouse interface yet? i heard rumors. at any rate, i won't play this without that, or it's released to the pc. still i dug the ambiance in MP 1&2. one was rain, the other snow. both fit my overall mood at the time.