Confirmed: SEGA developing Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage reboots

I enjoyed crazy taxi for what it was , but I don't thik i'd pay $60 for it today. They would need to add so much more to it at this point or make it $20

I'd be all about Jet set radio. Would love to see how a cell shaded game with ray tracing would look. I just hope at the end of the day they target next gen systems and not the switch but lets face it , we know this will be targeting the switch lol

i played a lot of crazy taxy on Dreamcast back in the day.
I''d buy a Quest 2 version maybe...could be fun in VR. But i would prefer a Ridge Racer or Daytona.

But i would prefer a Ridge Racer or Daytona.
Oh I d love those too. But by retaining what made the old games so memorable instead of reimagining them completely.
I am not sure how Ridge Racer's gameplay can be relevant today. A Burnout 3 style of gameplay might work. The recent ridge racer games felt too generic and also different from past Ridge Racer games.
I think Ridge Racer Type 4 gave us something special, like how the original Wipeouts stood out. It wasn't just the gameplay, but the whole experience racing in memorable locations with a beautiful soundtrack that defined a special feeling and atmosphere.
Daytona's style and physics can still work today as is. I loved that game's feel. I still wished we got a conversion of Scud Race on console though.

I love both of those franchises. I would love for them to do justice to the IP and be awesome, but I have my reservations.

Crazy Taxi on PC has a bunch of mods which fix the issues the game had. Reinstating analog controls, replacing the new OST with the original "The Offspring" OST (This is essential!), Ultrawide support, as well as reinstating the brand name advertisements the game had such as dropping customers off at KFC and FILAS and LEVIs.

As a side note... I've always loved Arcade "attract modes" and SEGA always had awesome ones. Hearing the iconic The Offspring "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahhhh" blaring from the Crazy Taxi cabinet was awesome. A while back I made a quick video of the attract mode on the PC version, which is the same but has slightly different camera angles from the Arcade/Dreamcast versions.. but I made it in ultrawide with the mods.

Also, I really loved that Naomi/Dreamcast 3D aesthetic they had to their games. They looked so good back in the day!

I wouldn't get too excited yet...

The latest news on Super Game comes via a new ‘insider’ report from Bloomberg, which states that Sega has already begun development on big-budget reboots of two of its most popular and beloved franchises from the early ’00s: Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio. Bloomberg cites that both of the punk rock Dreamcast classics have been officially greenlit for the reboot treatment. Production on Crazy Taxi is allegedly already underway, with Sega aiming to launch the new game around 2025. While the return of these two lines would generally be greeted with dizzying excitement, fans are instead acting toward the news with trepidation. And with good cause.

According to Bloomberg’s sources, Sega is eyeing a “Fortnite-style” service model for both titles, offering the two high-speed arcade titles as free-to-play games, and littering them with crossover content, microtransactions, multiplayer emphasis, limited-time events, and, presumably, the possible inclusion of blockchain/NFT elements.

Sounds great for the Fortnite-addicted kids of today, not so much for those who remember the original games, unless freemium GAAS with mtx is your thing.

Granted. Crazy Taxi's original model for bringing in revenue, after the hardware is either leased or bought, was essentially microtransactions. Arcades were the original microtransactions, it makes sense they would look to explore that for a game like crazy taxi. Though it wouldn't be for me if riddled with all that type of purchases. If there was some type of bundle that gave content I'd likely purchase it for $20 to $30 but small individual transactions aren't for me.

However the news SEGA is at least making an effort at receiving these old IPs is exciting enough. The news overall makes me happy and hope they revive others. Who knows. If the gameplay is as good as yesteryears then I probably will be all over these.

Also, I really loved that Naomi/Dreamcast 3D aesthetic they had to their games. They looked so good back in the day!
One of my favorite memories of that time period was going to an EB Games with a Playstation fanboy friend of mine. They had TVs hanging from the ceiling playing the Crazy Taxi attract from the Dreamcast, and we are watching it while chatting with the employee and my friend says "Yeah I'm not interested in the FMV, I want to know how it looks when you are playing it" and the employee and I both say "Just like that". The employee actually went out back where the DC was hooked up and started playing the game to prove it to my friend who was in disbelief the entire time.

I'm optimistic about these games coming out and being good, but I wish they wouldn't do a 3d Streets of Rage. SOR4 was great, and Sega already has a 3d beat em up in Dynamite Cop.

management_meeting2023_e_day1.png
- Crazy Taxi: Innovative & Fresh Style Driving Action!
Cheerful feeling of freedom x Fusion of nature and city, Peel out the new stage of Crazy City!

- Jet Set Radio: “Counter-Culture”. Tokyo Street Open World
Experience the “rebellion” movement that feels free in a suffocating society. Make friends, increase your fans, and create a movement!

- Shinobi: Slay the enemies in the silence of the moment
Run through the world of Shinobi, full of monsters and ninja actions. Grab Oberozuki, the legendary sword and slay Evil once more. Your clan and the world are counting on you.

- Golden Axe: Warriors arise to subdue the demons!
Defeat your enemies with a variety of attacks with swords and magic! The legendary story about the battle axe, “Golden Axe” is about to begin!

- Streets of Rage Revolution: Beloved side-scrolling beat ’em up action series!
Take control of one of the ex-officers and make the city a place where people no longer have to walk the “Streets of Rage.

Last edited:
Back