Rumor: MS and Bungie splitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Clearly we haven't had enough MS/Halo/Bungie talk as of late so here we go!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/bungie-microsoft-tight+lipped-on-separation-rumors-305825.php

*IF* true, this is a sign to be that MS might be considering getting out of the gaming business, especially in light of the Bizarre activision announcement recently.

If they believe they can simply do well based on cross platform games, that's not going to go over too well. 1st party still is quite important. It gives a uniqueness to your console.

and why Not??? Bungie can see a bigger chunk of the profits then and put that money back into it's game development where it belongs.;)

Well times are a changing, this past year has been a thrill ride to say the least, and it ain't over yet............

will see what happens in the not so distance future.:cool:

Clearly we haven't had enough MS/Halo/Bungie talk as of late so here we go!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/bungie-microsoft-tight+lipped-on-separation-rumors-305825.php

*IF* true, this is a sign to be that MS might be considering getting out of the gaming business, especially in light of the Bizarre activision announcement recently.

If they believe they can simply do well based on cross platform games, that's not going to go over too well. 1st party still is quite important. It gives a uniqueness to your console.

MS has been in the gaming business long before the xbox 1 so has Bungie. MS dropping out of the hardware race, doesn't mean it would forego its software business, so I doubt this is a sign of anything.

Plus, this rumor contradicts the relationship between Bungie and MS.

Bungie is owned by MS and it actually has no resource other than those allocated to it by MS so Bungie can't buy itself out. Its would be like Bungie giving MS money that already MS's money to begin with to let Bungie go. Letting Bungie go scott free is like putting your car out on the street with your keys in it and the doors open.

MS might sell Bungie to another entity maybe another pub or private investor or investors who may or may not represents those within Bungie. Bungie is responsible for billions in revenue so I doubt that anyone would have enough resources to make MS even consider seperating Bungie from Halo.

Aren't Halo, Marathon, Myth and whatever Microsoft property now?

Halo, yes
Myth, no - Take2
Don't know about Marathon

I'm not sure the source of this is any good, but Microsoft's response is peculiar. I don't understand how they can split, someone would have to buy Bungie. Jason Jones + Alex Seropian? Bungie bought by Wide load? It all seems very unlikely.

I could see Jason Jones bowing out of Bungie.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this were ever to be true, it would be a direct declaration of how mismanaged MS 1st parties were.

When could consider the fact Bungie is MS's only meaningful gaming studio and is the only reasons they have ever earned a profit on the Xbox and single handedly pretty much defines their gaming studios (which are pretty important for the PC space as well)... oh, and the cha-cha-ching of Halo 3 sales... even an inebriated monkey would know to absolutely pamper Bungie.

Kotaku said:
The response from a Bungie source? "Talk to your Edelman rep."
The response from Edelman, Microsoft's PR firm? "There's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the tremendous success of the global phenomenon that is Halo 3."
In the meantime, we continue to get e-mails with friend of a friend sourced factoids and ones with none too subtle hints on the matter. We're drowning in the winking emoticons!

Halo, yes
Myth, no - Take2
Don't know about Marathon

I'm not sure the source of this is any good, but Microsoft's response is peculiar. I don't understand how they can split, someone would have to buy Bungie. Jason Jones + Alex Seropian? Bungie bought by Wide load? It all seems very unlikely.

I could see Jason Jones bowing out of Bungie.

Jason Jones was gone for a while working on Alan Wake with Remedy

This wont ever happen, ever. Microsoft would have to go bankrupt first. You can take that to the bank.

i thought Halo was going to be put to rest for awhile after this one? I must confess im a little perplexed as to what the big negative of this is. They certainly got a hell of a lot of money and even more valuable brand recognition out of them over the last few years. So even if it IS true i fail to see the bad news. Bungie hasnt exactly shown itself to be a dynamic game company in the last two decades so i'd even go so far as to state that even if the split happened Microsoft wouldnt be losing a whole lot. As Microsoft i'd actually be a little worried giving them a new project with the budget of halo with the paranoia that it would flop.

Bungie hasnt exactly shown itself to be a dynamic game company in the last two decades so i'd even go so far as to state that even if the split happened Microsoft wouldnt be losing a whole lot. As Microsoft i'd actually be a little worried giving them a new project with the budget of halo with the paranoia that it would flop.

Bungie single handidly saved the first Xbox and created a Billion dollar franchise in the process and you wouldn't trust them with the budget to make a new franchise? You've got to be joking...

Bungie is owned by MS and it actually has no resource other than those allocated to it by MS so Bungie can't buy itself out. Its would be like Bungie giving MS money that already MS's money to begin with to let Bungie go.
MS may own bungie but they don't own the people working at NBungie.

The movers and shakers responsible for the Halo success could all have told MS privately to either cut Bungie loose or they'll walk.

Unlikely I admi6t because they'd lose these key people regardless of if they let go of Bungie or not so they might as well hold onto the company itself..

Hoo boy. Isn't speculation fun? :cool:

All we need now to complete the circle is a rumor about MS selling Rare.

Hey, someone tip off a website about it and it becomes instant internet truth! :LOL:
Peace.

Didn't a bunch of people from Bungie leave and form Free Radical that makes TimeSplitters? If this rumor is true I can't even imagine what MS must be doing to run so many people off...

Didn't a bunch of people from Bungie leave and form Free Radical that makes TimeSplitters? If this rumor is true I can't even imagine what MS must be doing to run so many people off...
That's Rareware people. They even had the alarm sound in Timesplitters be the same as in Goldeneye.

Bungie single handidly saved the first Xbox and created a Billion dollar franchise in the process and you wouldn't trust them with the budget to make a new franchise? You've got to be joking...

Im not a big fan of halo, i think its always been a mediocre game. So no, im not joking, i wouldnt give them the exact same budget of halo to produce a non-fps based game. Halo sells due to its name, not because of the name of the developers. It was practically impossible for Microsoft to lose money on it. Look at the first day sales. There are too many examples to count where developers create fantastic games then slip into obscurity when they put out other projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back