[rumor] Infinity Ward/CoD going MMO?

green.pixel

Veteran
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61872

Citing "industry sources," Destructoid claims Infinity Ward's next will be a massively mulitplayer online game, with the studio reportedly hiring Sony Online Entertainment (EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies, PlanetSide) veterans and possibly getting help from fellow Activision Blizzard studio Blizzard (World of Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft).

CoD + MMO = Activision's money printer :?: :LOL:

The choice wouldnt surprise me, though I think Activision may no be viewing their current consumer base correctly. CoD fans dont seem to be the type to me that want to pay a rather high monthly subscription fee as well as take a gameplay perspective from the MMO world.

Could very well work for them. All those CoDMW players paying a subscription looks like too good an opportunity to ignore. If they'll pay that way.

Hiring SoE guys doesn't sound very good to me. Verant's original EQ was great back then, but after that... all SoE MMOs suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a more serious note, what platform are we talking about? PC would be interesting as they would probably not be able to reach WoW levels irregardless of the game's quality - a shooter just doesn't seem to have the appeal and the possible complexity of an RPG.

And just how many MMOs are there on consoles?

On a more serious note, what platform are we talking about? PC would be interesting as they would probably not be able to reach WoW levels irregardless of the game's quality - a shooter just doesn't seem to have the appeal and the possible complexity of an RPG.

And just how many MMOs are there on consoles?

Only 1 that I know of (FF) and it has reached moderate success last I checked. Though there are a few currently in the pipeline to be delivered to the console crowd, the latest MMO for consoles AoC never seen release on the 360.

It'll be interest to see if the brand name will be able to make an MMOFPS (I'm assuming they aren't doing an RPG) successful for the first time ever.

Granted there hasn't been many MMOFPS games but all of the ones created have been pretty bad failures.

Regards,
SB

Back