Rumble Roses developer on PS3 & X360

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200509/N05.0916.2039.01789.htm

GI: What has it been like to work with the Xbox 360?

Uchida: It really feels like technology has advanced. My programmers are very excited to experiment with this new technology. I really think this machine has set new standards for graphics.

GI: Have you had a chance to mess around with the PlayStation 3 yet?

Uchida: Yes, it’s amazing. And just because I am working on the Xbox 360, doesn’t mean I will never work on the PS3. I have not converted. Its not like the PS3 is an enemy.

GI: What do you think you could pull off on one system that you could not on another?

Uchida: I think there are some things you can do with the PS3 than you cannot with the 360. The processing speed is much quicker. The rendering variation that the PS3 offers is wider. But the online of the 360 is amazing and is probably better than the PS3.

yes the CPu we know about, but "The rendering variation that the PS3 offers is wider." this doesn't make sense. What does rendering variation mean exactly? I think perhaps he means resoloution.

I'm kind of wondering about that myself. But If anyone would know it would be these guys since they're working side by side with the MGS4 team.

dukmahsik said:
so 360 sets the standards for gfx and ps3 does for cpu stuff, i that this was known?

Stay at TeamXbox.
icon_smile.gif
icon_wink.gif

The only 'rendering variation' I can think of is using Cell for render work, whether doing some raytracing or post-processing or HOS. In all other aspects both GPU's are very similar; same shader model capabilities, same ball park for transformations and stuff. However, I don't know quite how that can be considered with current PS3 dev kits as they don't have RSX yet. I s'pose they could be using some effects across the slow bus to the GPU until RSX becomes available.

We know the Ps3 is more powerfull...logic demands it, it's a question of how much.

See, Xbox couldnt just do "some things" you couldn't on the PS2, you could do literally alot more.

I think Cell will enable Developers to make certain stuff realtime whereas before (and probably in xbox 360) they had to script it, like Wind --> game world.

But it's pretty funny to hear such things from a Dev that will probably never go that extra mile, because he doesn't even takes advantage of the Xbox 360, have you seen the game? Horrible.

therealskywolf said:
We know the Ps3 is more powerfull...logic demands it, it's a question of how much.

See, Xbox couldnt just do "some things" you couldn't on the PS2, you could do literally alot more.

I think Cell will enable Developers to make certain stuff realtime whereas before (and probably in xbox 360) they had to script it, like Wind --> game world.

But it's pretty funny to hear such things from a Dev that will probably never go that extra mile, because he doesn't even takes advantage of the Xbox 360, have you seen the game? Horrible.

good god man i hope english isn't your first language :)

well, rumblerose looks bad, I think this guy is one of those lazy brainless game makers, who are just pushing the buttons and going like: "hm, what is that for?"

dukmahsik said:
good god man i hope english isn't your first language :)

It isn't.

See, Xbox could do alot more than just "Some Things" better than the Ps2.~

I think Cell will enable Developers to make certain stuff realtime, when before (and probably in the xbox 360) they had to script it, like Wind -(Physics based)-> game world.

But it's pretty funny to hear such things from a Dev that will probably never go that extra mile in tech, because he doesn't even takes advantage of the Xbox 360. Have you seen the game? Horrible.

I corrected some stuff, i don't know what else to correct, give me a hand here, i'm all for improving my English.

therealskywolf said:
It isn't.

See, Xbox could do alot more than just "Some Things" better than the Ps2.~

I think Cell will enable Developers to make certain stuff realtime, when before (and probably in the xbox 360) they had to script it, like Wind -(Physics based)-> game world.

But it's pretty funny to hear such things from a Dev that will probably never go that extra mile in tech, because he doesn't even takes advantage of the Xbox 360. Have you seen the game? Horrible.

I corrected some stuff, i don't know what else to correct, give me a hand here, i'm all for improving my English.

first off with your first sentence a lot of people will stop reading your posts

dukmahsik said:
first off with your first sentence a lot of people will stop reading your posts

What did i say? I'm a full blown Xbox 360 supporter, don't even go there, but i have a brain and i know how to use 10 % of it(At least...i hope). But it's pretty obvious that the Ps3 has the hardware advantage, we have 7 ou of 10 developers saying that the Ps3 is more powerfull, and then we have 3 out of 10 saying "Pretty much even".

Who am i going to trust? There's no denying it, i believe the difference isn't anywhere as big as Xbox to Ps2 but there IS a difference.

And people like to say that Xenos is stronger than the RSX, how can anyone say anything like that? I expect them to be on par.

And since they have both 512 MB of Ram, PS3 won't be able to reproduce better texturing than the Xbox 360.

I have to be honest with myself, sure Xbox 360 is amazing, Kameo looks drop dead gorgeous, GOw and GROW and PGR3 too but i can't help to be a bit letdown by MS, the least they could try is to have an advantage in something other than Xbox live. More Ram or something man.....i feel like there's something missing in the Xbox 360 to make it as powerfull as the PS3.

But i guess once again i'll have to own both consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will always be developer that cannot or don't want to cope with a certian architecture and their games will show for it. I still say that the best each console has to offer will be equal in nearly all respects.

Azrael said:
There will always be developer that cannot or don't want to cope with a certian architecture and their games will show for it. I still say that the best each console has to offer will be equal in nearly all respects.

And ofcourse you can say that since that attitude got many advantages! First off you won't have to dig into all those many informative technical papers on the net + interviews/lectures from actual developers. (saves you lots of time..) Secondly you as a customer will ALWAYS win no matter what since it doesn't give which console you get. (both are the same right..) Sometimes I wish I was more like you..saves me lots of time :(

GI: What has it been like to work with the Xbox 360?

Uchida: It really feels like technology has advanced. My programmers are very excited to experiment with this new technology. I really think this machine has set new standards for graphics.

I think you all forget that PS2 had more processing power than Xbox
I think you all also forget that PS2 had more rendering power than Xbox
I think you should be reminded that PS2 memory was better than Xbox

But why did Xbox games ultimately look better?

because of the bolded statement above. the Graphics card was better.

Early developement of Xbox would have NEVER done the Final Fantasy Rendering done on PS2.

Kojima is probably one of the ONLY developers in the gaming industry who actually showed how powerful the Playstation 2 really is in making a game whose graphics , physics and showing was on par if not better than most Xbox games.

This is happening again next generation. the only difference is Sony might put out better development drivers, but SO will Microsoft because of what it learnt from the last generation.

They listened to developers more than lsiten to thier financial advisors and upgraded thier memory from 256 to 512, and they would have been more than willing to listen to developers about what they wanted in the API which Carmack and Nevel both have described as one of the best they have worked with.

May I ask why you think that the peak for these consoles will be fairly equal? If we take the GPU's as being fairly equal, the difference between platforms comes down to CPU and memory bandwidth, right? In that case does not the PS3 have the advantage? Not on raw numbers but on architecture, in having both more total system memory bandwidth and the Cell being designed with LS to overcome some of the key bottlenecks of accessing system memory.

As far as I can see, on average the two systems might be quite similar due to use of engines and rather generic cross-platform solutions and designs, but when pushed the PS3 has more resources overall. The only obvious advantage XB360 has by comparison is in the GPU versatility and inbuilt AA saving both BW nd adding to IQ, but I don't see that when both systems are maxxed, XB360 has as much harnessable power to drive models, physics, animations and stuff.

Shifty Geezer said:
May I ask why you think that the peak for these consoles will be fairly equal? If we take the GPU's as being fairly equal, the difference between platforms comes down to CPU and memory bandwidth, right? In that case does not the PS3 have the advantage? Not on raw numbers but on architecture, in having both more total system memory bandwidth and the Cell being designed with LS to overcome some of the key bottlenecks of accessing system memory.

As far as I can see, on average the two systems might be quite similar due to use of engines and rather generic cross-platform solutions and designs, but when pushed the PS3 has more resources overall. The only obvious advantage XB360 has by comparison is in the GPU versatility and inbuilt AA saving both BW nd adding to IQ, but I don't see that when both systems are maxxed, XB360 has as much harnessable power to drive models, physics, animations and stuff.

The Fact of the matter is if Cell's potential can be realised then the Xenos potential is as high as the Cell potential, so its a safe assessment that Xenos is either on par with RSX or its more powerful (if its potential like cell is realised). The memory bandwidth of the D3D compression being compressed in a Xbox 360 presentation showed a doubling of bandwidth + the EDRam would nearly have the same effect as giving more bandwidth between the CPU and GPU in terms of output. Its not that simple as just having more FLops and that means better graphics and a better game. its these small things like Compression and Stencils and Shaders and ingame performance is whats the difference. In terms of expectations of Cell, its as powerful as the difference between the PS2 and Xbox, when Xbox was weaker in physics power compared to PS2 but better in graphics. You can see the difference in graphics and you can see the true potential in PS2 physics in saying that the physics in PS2 burnout are better or same as Xbox

Last edited by a moderator:
Back