Ruby lips

What happened to Ruby lips?

With the new X1k series from ATI, the new demos were finally unveiled.
When I downloaded the video from ATI site and I looked at it, i really thought it was just ok… Nothing that could leave you breathless. There was something wrong with it but i really couldn’t understand what that was.
I thought it was because I’d already saw it on the xbox 360 preview.
But today looking at some screenshot from Rage 3D Review I noticed what it was!
Ruby lips were awful! so I looked for some screens from the first Ruby demo, and then the difference was clear!

Ruby’s lips in the X800 demo
Ruby’s lips in the 1X1k demo

Copied and Pasted it from my blog, didn't feel like write it again.
Bigger images here.

I was actually dissapointe by the video as well. The ones released with the x800 series were more impressie at the time to me.

I was impressed by the toy shop. I think it's the best demo ever. But i am very disappointed by the Ruby one. I could understand if the quality of the skin/lips was the same of the old video. Bu worse? 2 years later?

Sxotty said:
I was actually dissapointe by the video as well. The ones released with the x800 series were more impressie at the time to me.

The reason is quite simple. The lips on the original x800 are done in a sort of trick like manner. Her lips aren't usually anywhere near as detailed as that. Its only during that close up that they are. If you take it off the rails during that closeup the WHOLE scene dissapears, including ruby, to be replaced with a more detailed version of that bit of her face. I suppose you then assume that detail was always there

Assumedly the lips in the x1800 demo are used all the time?

I liked Ruby's blue eyes :wub:. Although technically speking i prefered marmaid hair from GF6 tech demos. Hair moving smoothly under water really looked incredible in realtime.

This was taken on my R9600 XTR when Ruby first hit the net. Running realtime using wrapper and 6xFSAA i think.

I applied HDR like postprocess effect later, but thats not the point :p
See her eyes mmmmm... She kinda looked better in this demo i agree...

RejZoR said:
I applied HDR like postprocess effect later, but thats not the point :p
See her eyes mmmmm... She kinda looked better in this demo i agree...
Nice eyes maybe, but definitely more polys needed for her boobs in that shot.

Well why wasting resources if you can't see a diference? Thats not a trick, thats the way how 3D games work. You can make all time highly detailed character but you'll be out of resources for environment and other stuff. Such "tricks" balance this. This is they way how things will work for as long as we'll use GPUs as we know now (everything based on triangles and textures pasted on them).

I bet the ruby demo designers subscribe to the school of thought that eyes and face recognition dominate human interplay. I think Rys just showed that is a flawed approach :smile:

We got a senior female manager here with a set of cannons that dwarf those on the YAMATO and not shy to put em out there - it's a constant struggle to maintain eye contact. Too many polys...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the new lips, the old ones and her pale skin make her look like one of those $10 crack-ho's behind amsterdam central station..

:) That's a bit harsh neliz

I like them both .. the new and old lips. The old lips look a bit rough like she is younger .. and the new lips make her look a bit more mature.

But then again .. looking at it like this, the pics NocturnDragon posted above

it does seem to make the new lips seem a bit fake'ish . .especially the bottom lip.

Still, the second viewed from a slight distance does look more mature.

US

Okay true.. but then again, the x800 lips were about 3dc .. and that's obviously not been applied in the new demo

Back