RSX pipeline architetcure

DemoCoder

Veteran
Anyone found a better photo of the slide that Anandtech showed? The one detailing the block diagram of RSX's pipelines?

DemoCoder said:
Anyone found a better photo of the slide that Anandtech showed? The one detailing the block diagram of RSX's pipelines?

P1010276.jpg

Oops, it doesn't seem to have vertex shader. ;)

-ysoya

Separate texture address unit at last, it would seem. Any idea as to what SFU stands for?

Neeyik said:
Separate texture address unit at least, it would seem. Any idea as to what SFU stands for?
I guess it may be Special Function Unit (RCP, RSQ, SIN, COS, ... )

ysoya said:
DemoCoder said:

Oops, it doesn't seem to have vertex shader. ;)

-ysoya

and no pixelshaders either ,just vector units ;)

seriously there are two seperate pools of vector ALU's which probably indicates dedicated vertex and pixelshaders

I had a question about the Bussystem and rendertype of the GPU.
The RSX GPU in the PS3 has no embedded Vram,i wonder if 22,4
Gbyte/s fast enough for 720p/1080p.Is the RSX a defferend render
GPU like POwerVr2/Vr5 for enough graphicspeed.I remember of an
discussion here in beyond3d forum about a ps3 GPU patent that show
this function.Is that right???

Correct if im wrong but that is twice the ALU/SFU of the NV40.
Clock for clock the RSX has going by the numbers app 2,5 times the shading power of the NV40.

seriously there are two seperate pools of vector ALU's which probably indicates dedicated vertex and pixelshaders

Yes there was a slide under the presentation "independet pixel/vertex shader pipelines".

Well i don't know is there any information about the amount of ALU's/SFU's texture units?

Yes there was a slide under the presentation "independet pixel/vertex shader pipelines".

How independant! That is the question you need to answer.
Answer that and the difference between two systems will also be revealed.

MrFloopy said:

What u mean "how independant"? You're either independant or you're not.

I'm still thinking some of the vertex work will be done on Cell.

Well i would say independent as in the current NV40 or R420.
Its been known for quite some time that nVidia/ATI have had different views of unified pipelines.

What do you mean with the last phrase of your text?
We dont know "in" details about R500 but some more on RSX, i hardly belive we can get a more sophisticated view just by knowing that the PS3 has a GPU with dedicated vertex and pixelpipelines and the X360 has not.

london-boy said:
MrFloopy said:
You're either independant or you're not.

within the context of the conversation you know thats not true.

Care to elaborate?

My understanding is that you can have various levels of dependancy, but if you're independant, you're independant.

I think he's talking about a constraint...

Probably the bandwidth to the RSX that creates this dependency, e.g. geometry data...

RSX said:
"independet pixel/vertex shader pipelines".

So what are VS and PS units dependent on?

E.g. The R500 is bound by it's traingle setup rate, i.e. 1 traingle per cycle. This then controls/bounds the rest of the unified ALUs...

Back