RSX: A G70 shrunk down to 90nm?

TBH, I'm bored with RSX compared to C1, as it is just a really neat (aka new) design. Where the ps3 really gets me excited though, are the potential SPE<->RSX uses.

This is just another non-article from L'Inq, where a little tidbit of info (Rumors most of the time) is scretched thin on a 5+ paragraphs text.

BTW,
Fudo said:
Nvidia did make a good chip design based on 90 nanometre marchitecture but it didn’t design the chip from scratch. We were told more than once that RSX is 90 nanometre G70 adjusted to fit into a console and to do whatever it has to do.
Fudo is getting worse as time passes by.

By the time Nvidia and Sony told people about the deal they already had 18 months working on it,in fact this is say by Nvidia own people this put it with more time on the making that the Xenos.

We are thrilled to partner with Sony Computer Entertainment to build what will certainly be one of the most important computer entertainment and digital media platforms of the twenty-first century,â€￾ added Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO, NVIDIA. “Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_17342.html

By december 7 2004 they say that they have 2 years working with Sony already,looking at how much time on the making the Cell has i'm not surprise,but yes they did have alot of time to work with the RSX,and they still do.

gurgi said:
In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU.

Sounds like confirmation that the parts are the same.

That specific quote? Not really. "Designing in parallel" doesn't mean they're the same - IBM designed Cell and X360 and Revolution's CPU in parallel, ATi developed R520 and R500 in parallel etc.

Of course, I do think they share the same parent technology at the very least, obviously. Like any generation of graphics chips, you have a series of derivatives, and RSX looks like a console derivative in this series.

Who writes for those guys?

BTW, did that 7000 score they said they got for the g70 pan out? Honest question.

ralexand said:
BTW, did that 7000 score they said they got for the g70 pan out? Honest question.

Yep, it did. They claimed 7800 in 3dmark05 and they were pretty much spot on.

Are they supposed to be professional? Look at how many grammatical errors there are... :D

I thought Nvidia already confirmed that the RSX was a "future generation" of the G70.

I don't know how this thread can stir so much debate - haven't we been discussing this very topic for like a month now?

Anyway it's obvious RSX isn't going to be just a shrunk G70; that just wouldn't make any sense. PureVideo and pther crap has to go - and there must be some provisions in there for Cell interaction. That being said, how far it deviates from G70 - well we just don't know, maybe not much.

Those 3DMark scores were heavily effected by the CPU speeds it should be mentioned; somethign that's not typically the case in 3DMark.

3roxor said:
cause it has to be shurnk down to 90nm :)

But hasn't Sony already got some 90nm fab :?
That doesn't mean they just wiggle thier nose and boom its shurnk down to 90nm .

I doubt its just a shrunk down g70. I think its most likely based on the refresh of the g70 which i think would come out early 2006 and it will have some improvements like fp32 hdr .

I highly doubt its anything more than a modified g75 (if you will ) It may even have a few less rops .

3roxor said:
I highly doubt its anything more than a modified g75 (if you will ) It may even have a few less rops .

You make it sound like a bad thing..
Only way I make it sound like a bad thing is if you think a modified g75 with a few less rops is a bad thing .

If you believe that then its really you making it sound like a bad thing.

It will still be a powerfull gpu. But it wont be as interesting as the xenos to me .

The way i see it is that because many that have been lurking on B3D for years are very interested in 3D gfx technology as a "whole".
To make a distant relation we can look at the current GS/NV2A and Flipper and see the discusion we have had about those chip and in many cases both the flipper and GS has been discused lively, and although the GS is the weakest/oldest its still in my mind probably the most interesting part because of its highly unortodox design, closely followed by flipper and then NV2A.

The reason IMHO is the same with RSX "vs" Xenos.
With that i mean saying that the RSX is a modified G70 and to what extent is impossible to say versus Xenos that is a glimpse in the future of the PC side and "more" custombuild for its purpose and radical design(thinking the Edram). These are the factors that i think triggers many here at B3D atleast that have a passion for 3d technology.

I think this is the same way the Cell cpu have many of us interested just because its a forward looking and custombuilt architecture.

But to make claims that one of the GPU´s is more powerful than the other is at this stage not valid from my POV.

G70 has 'many' clocks - Nvidia

Nvidia's Chief Scientist said:
"It's somewhat hard for us to say 'the core clock in G70 is this single number'", says Kirk. "We didn't want to be accused of exaggerating the clock speed, so we picked a conservative number to talk about the core clock speed. But, yes, that is just one of the multiple clocks."

"People have said that G70 doesn't have any new architecture, but that's not really true. It has new architecture, it's just not always visible.

"The chip was designed from the ground up to use less power. In doing that, we used a lot of tricks that we learned from doing mobile parts. The clock speeds within the chip are dynamic - if you were watching them with an oscilloscope, you'd see the speeds going up and down all the time, as different parts of the chip come under load."

:oops:

Back