Roll eyes broken?

Simon F

Tea maker
Veteran
Supporter
Dear B3D team.
Just noticed that the ": r o l l :" (no spaces) smiley is being converted to ********

Thought you should know.

We're testing it in the banned words pool for a while, to see how a few folks react. It's rarely used legitimately, and overused in the pursuit of antagonising others by a select few.

Bear with us while we poke and prod :D

Rys said:
We're testing it in the banned words pool for a while, to see how a few folks react. It's rarely used legitimately, and overused in the pursuit of antagonising others by a select few.

Bear with us while we poke and prod :D
How would I react?
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Simon F said:
How would I react?
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm fairly sure you're not on our list of rolleyes abusers :LOL:

You could have rolled your eyes 6 times at me, too!

Simon F said:
How would I react?
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

You stinker. :LOL:

Rys, replace that icon file with something that'll make him turn red. :devilish:

Maybe that's what we should have done. Just replaced the file with one of those "I love you" icons. Mwahahaha.

Yes, rolleyes smiley is fairly bad because there are multiple contexts in which it can be used.

Neeyik and myself had an argument where I PM'ed him a tantrum of mine after he used the smiley in question because I interpreted him as being offensive and disrespectful.
Turns out in the end he cleared it up mentioning that I misinterpreted the message being conveyed all thanks to the rolleyes smiley.

If you're going to use a rolleyes smiley please use one that is funny. The current one looks offensive.

Although this is getting really pedantic now, and heaven only knows how good I am at that, if one looks carefully at the current roll-eyes smilie, the character grins slightly as it rolls its eyes - that, to me at least, implies that there is no malice behind the response and it's meant light-heartedly. Without the grin, the eye movement almost certainly then implies annoyance.

I think I prefer it to Rys' Kermit-on-drugs smilie at any rate....

Neeyik said:
Although this is getting really pedantic now, and heaven only knows how good I am at that, if one looks carefully at the current roll-eyes smilie, the character grins slightly as it rolls its eyes - that, to me at least, implies that there is no malice behind the response and it's meant light-heartedly. Without the grin, the eye movement almost certainly then implies annoyance.

Well, ymmv, but for me it always evokes the 13 yr old who'd just been reminded to be home for dinner on their way out the door to hang out with their friends. Very unattractive.

I call this discussion crazy. Too much fake politicall correctness, maybe we should just use pre-defined sentences as well? A big :roll-eyes: here from me.

gotta throw in my 2 cents here -- i love the rolleyes. sometimes, people just say some stupid stuff. if i can't tease them a little i might actually get mad! :rolleyes::rolleyes: ;)

Back