Rocksmith 2014

Scott_Arm

Legend
Pretty happy they are addressing my main issues with the original "game". I'll definitely be picking this up.

The menus... I have no idea how the menus in the original made it to retail.

5 man team doing the whole game using an old Gamebryo engine license (or something like that) ... They had a very low budget, but the game was a big success in the US so the sequel will likely benefit a lot.

Sure buy from me too.

I generally liked the first one, but the audio lag on my PC was a bit hard to deal with. I think I'll give this one another shot though, since I already have the cable.

I generally liked the first one, but the audio lag on my PC was a bit hard to deal with. I think I'll give this one another shot though, since I already have the cable.

I think they're claiming the lag has been reduced, but I don't know if they gave any numbers. I found the calibration tool was able to handle it fairly well, with a bit of tweeking.

Mine was fine as long as I used an analog output like the headphone jack rather than HDMI, which was terrible.

And for the record, the HDMI lag is down to the PC components rather than the TV, because the PS3 had almist no lag over HDMI.

I kinda liked playing this in 3D, made the note highway much easier to read.

I doubt talent is needed to play guitar assuming one is just wanting to play instead of creating music. At least that's how I approach playing acoustic guitar. I'm sorely tempted to buy electric guitar and rocksmith 2014.

All that's needed is a capacity for enjoying making music.

All that's needed is a capacity for enjoying making music.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun even when you're terrible. I'm not good enough yet to know if it actually gets more boring when you're really good. I used to ski a lot, and I actually found it became a lot less enjoyable the better I got, because it was more difficult to find a challenge. In my mind, having no idea how to play a guitar is probably the situation where you'd have the most enjoyment with a game like this.

I doubt talent is needed to play guitar assuming one is just wanting to play instead of creating music. At least that's how I approach playing acoustic guitar. I'm sorely tempted to buy electric guitar and rocksmith 2014.

Yeah. The game will teach you how to play chords, and use different techniques to play notes. It won't teach you to write music. You don't need to understand music theory, or have an innate understanding of it, or be good at writing songs. It's purely a game of mechanics. If you just want to play along, it's a lot of fun, and you can learn the rest on your own if you want to take it that far. Basically, the game helps you get the barrier of learning the mechanics out of the way.

Yeah. The game will teach you how to play chords, and use different techniques to play notes. It won't teach you to write music. You don't need to understand music theory, or have an innate understanding of it, or be good at writing songs. It's purely a game of mechanics. If you just want to play along, it's a lot of fun, and you can learn the rest on your own if you want to take it that far. Basically, the game helps you get the barrier of learning the mechanics out of the way.

I really like that they added all those lessons to new rock smith. Also the unlocked from beginning is good thing.

But the biggest thing for me would be the "play in a band" feeling you get in rocksmith. Much more fun than just playing alone with 1 guitar. I don't have enough time and motivation to start playing in real band so having something virtual yet mechanically real in living room would be perfect.

Currently I have open chords and basic strumming under control. Power chords work too as does some basic scale playing and improvization. I'm struggling with barre chords at the moment (can play them but way sloooow to change from open to barre). Also trying to learn some folk fingerstyle but my stupid fingers don't obey yet :)

I really like that they added all those lessons to new rock smith. Also the unlocked from beginning is good thing.

But the biggest thing for me would be the "play in a band" feeling you get in rocksmith. Much more fun than just playing alone with 1 guitar. I don't have enough time and motivation to start playing in real band so having something virtual yet mechanically real in living room would be perfect.

Rocksmith (original) is a lot of fun, despite having a huge number of problems. I can only imagine how much better this one is going to be, unless they monumentally screw something up. The lessons are definitely a nice touch. I'm going to be watching those very carefully for any tips to improve my playing. I'm bored of the songs in the first one, so I'm pretty eager for this to come out.

It came out today. Picked it up on the way home. Just installing the disc to the HDD. The packaging says "Better With Kinect", so I'm hoping for some voice control or well-planned gesture-controllable menus. Using the controller is awkward when you've got a guitar on.

Cool! Will check out the PC version Thursday or Friday if available.

Pretty much everything is fixed. The menus and songs load a lot faster, and everything is organized much more efficiently. Voice control works really well.

1 day and 10 hours before the PC release on Steam :)

Oh yeah, it releases later in the UK and Europe. Not sure why. You're going to enjoy it.

The new lessons even have things like teaching you how to restring a guitar, or teaching you the basics about different guitar equipment (haven't watched that one yet, but I'm assuming amps, pedals etc). The technique lessons have a small test, and there are multiple levels for each technique (chords 101, chords 201, chords 301, chords 401 ...)

Menus and load times are vastly improved. Songs load really quick, so you get more playtime rather than sitting and watching load screens and f'ing around with menus.

They've done away with the "event" driven design, where you had to play shows. At least it seems that way. You're now assigned missions, based on what you've just done or accomplished. A mission might be to play a song with a particular tuning, or a song from a certain year. It could also be to try a specific guitarcade game, or to play riff repeater for a certain song.

You can sort through the songs in a variety of ways now, and they will recommend tracks to you based on what you've been playing so you experience a variety of styles. You can pick whether you want to be a lead or rhythm guitarist, and that will give you a different tab to play. You can switch very quickly before you start the song, if you want to do a variety of lead and rhythm playing.

I'm really not good enough to give any useful review of the session mode, but it seems neat.

Back