Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

The referral code is already important when creating an accounts as far as I remember.

Yes, the Mustang was flawed because it was too tight which caused glitches and it had the old metrics. These problems should be fixed with the updated model which looks very good by the way.

At 25:40 one can see the ship components from inside a ship (Vulcan) which will enable gameplay for crew members (repairing, replace etc.)

In Calling All Devs CIG said that for 3.2 or 3.3 (without guarantee) they are working on a Multi Grid tech which will later also allow a docking mechanic and breaking ships into pieces with an intact interior.
They also talked about a technique whereby charakters can walk on all surfaces in space. Something like magnetic boots.

Raclaimer landing gear Animation

155m/ 9500t ship.

The roadmap is internally linked and is always updated automatically.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

New numbers.

"Currently, Cloud Imperium Games has five offices following the recent opening of a new Foundry 42 location in Derby, U.K. that counts only fifteen staffers at the moment. The largest office is the main Foundry 42 location in Manchester, with a headcount of 234. The studios in the U.S. are more compact with Cloud Imperium Games in Los Angeles and Cloud Imperium Games Texas in Austin counting respectively 75 and 71 staffers. Last, but not least, the Foundry 42 office in Frankfurt, Germany, gives work to a staff of 80.

The total headcount of the internal staff working on the game is now a massive 475."

https://www.dualshockers.com/star-citizen-squadron-42-staff-475-employees/

Last edited:
At 25:40 one can see the ship components from inside a ship (Vulcan) which will enable gameplay for crew members (repairing, replace etc.)
This is what I've been waiting for for an eternity. I've wanted to be a starship engineer since I first started watching STTNG in 1989... :p I hope they manage a good implementation. I'd love to see a combination of hands-on wrenching, spare parts replacement and worming through crawlspaces in the ship superstructure - which I sure hope they're designing in from the outset... :p A lot of these ships sure are big enough for them.

Last year or so they mentioned that the player should have to climb into shafts to fix something.

Since the important components should all be easily accessible I wonder what someone should fix there. Pipes, avionics, life support? Components of a smaller ship:
ship components.jpg

CIG worked on the ship's components since 2015. They all have certain sizes, etc.

Of course there will most likely be several iterations of this gameplay mechanic. First of all, there must be UI/display elements and the player needs suitable tools. In any case, these components can be damaged and there are different quality levels. Having a person on the board who can repair or replace components during combat should be very helpful as they have a real function. Having a ship with a damaged gravity generator or propulsion should be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
UI_SneakPeek.jpg

Looks much better than the pure blue they are using currently

Not too impressed by the Terapin ship shown off in the top video. While it has certain qualities, the front thrusters blast straight into the rear thrusters. That's crazy! Front thrusters need to be mounted outboard of the rear thrusters (or angle outwards, but that reduces efficiency and in a real ship would put increased stresses on the frame), so they have clear line of sight so to speak.

Shit like this really irks me, like tons of ship designs in sci-fi shows, TV or cinema, or in art where the engine thrust doesn't line up with the ship's center of gravity. No, the ship wouldn't move forwards you idiot designer, it would just spin round and round like a top until everyone aboard are killed and it tears itself apart! :p

The drone ship looks interesting and fun, and the design makes a fair amount of sense overall; the interiors as well as the exterior, from what I could tell. I'm intrigued.

Not too impressed by the Terapin ship shown off in the top video. While it has certain qualities, the front thrusters blast straight into the rear thrusters. That's crazy! Front thrusters need to be mounted outboard of the rear thrusters (or angle outwards, but that reduces efficiency and in a real ship would put increased stresses on the frame), so they have clear line of sight so to speak.

Shit like this really irks me, like tons of ship designs in sci-fi shows, TV or cinema, or in art where the engine thrust doesn't line up with the ship's center of gravity. No, the ship wouldn't move forwards you idiot designer, it would just spin round and round like a top until everyone aboard are killed and it tears itself apart! :p

The drone ship looks interesting and fun, and the design makes a fair amount of sense overall; the interiors as well as the exterior, from what I could tell. I'm intrigued.

Well if you want to be really irked you could also consider how for good mobility as done films and games a ship in reality would also need side/top/bottom thrusters mounted in various position like they did with modern series of Battlestar Galactica and the Vipers, also probably one of the few series that consider actual inertia with maneuverability in space (still not perfect though) which should be another factor to be irksome as it is far from accurate in any game and most films/series :)

I really like the Terapin even with its real-world faults :)
Kinda reminds me of the DS9 series ship Defiant, although that was better and more practical looking; I do wonder if the Terapin is inspired by this ship model.
Defiant was such a cool ship in the series.

2-03-913941.jpg

Last edited:

Yes and thats right. There was a huge thread about this.

This is an easy problem to fix, and requires no design changes. When the thrusters are in the forward position (like above) the power (or atleast the vast majority) is diverted to the rear thrusters. The front thrusters would only put out a lot of force when making maneuvers such as landing or hovering.

Problem solved and makes sense from the Star Citizen lore and engineering perspective. You guys over think things :love:

Lets see if that happens.

Kinda reminds me of the DS9 series ship Defiant, although that was better and more practical looking; I do wonder if the Terapin is inspired by this ship model.
Defiant was such a cool ship in the series.

The concept artist of the Defiant (Jim Martin) made several ships for Star Citizen (Cutlass, Buccaneer, Freelancer, Hull series, Caterpillar, Scythe). He also talked about the Defiant in a Star Citizen Video but I dont know if it was in this one (36:36).

Some of his work for Star Citizen: http://jimmartindesign.co/StarCitizen.html

This is not his pure work I think the Cutlass has been modified in modeling phase which looked different and was reworked later so that it looks like the first drawings again.
t3_63vbqs

(old vs. new)

Ryan Church is probably the best known freelance concept artist Star Citizen has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Church_(concept_artist)

Last edited:
he needs to go back to the drawing board for the freelancer . At $110-$170 its a relic compared to these new ships launching around its price range and those under its price range that are getting upgrades like the mustang and avenger

Currently I would prefer the Cutlass over the Freelancer at a similar price but the Freelancer will probably be more reliable with a higher quality.

Weapon Animation
Weapon quality is very high (these materials are impressively sharp)
LR.jpg

Server meshing:

Q: What will be the extent of the first pass on the server meshing planned for 3.4?

Clive Johnson: "For the first-pass version we'll probably divide the Stanton system into sections and have one server manage each section. So we might have a Port Olisar server, another for Yela, and so on. Migration between servers would only happen as players QT from one location to another (although if you had the patience to do so you would also be able to fly between servers at sub-quantum speeds). We won't be connecting game servers across server regions (US, EU, etc) in this version. It also seems likely that each server region will still have multiple instances of the Stanton system.

Obviously this is a much simplified implementation compared to what we eventually want to achieve but it is still complex enough that we will need to deliver several key pieces of the technology. First among these is the ability to connect multiple game servers in the same simulation. Next, seamlessly transitioning entities and clients between servers. We'll also need changes to our backend services to keep track of which players are on which server and determine when they need to transition to another. The services may also have to handle spinning up and shutting down new game servers on demand, as we'd like to avoid running a server for a section (e.g. Daymar) unless some players are actually there. Finally, game code will most likely have to undergo some changes to ensure that things like missions and the economy continue to function correctly even though the entities involved may be spread among multiple servers.

Once the initial version has been put through its paces we will continue to improve and refine the technology with future pre-alpha releases, incrementally bringing us closer to the final goal of a single shard universe."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...-the-extent-of-the-first-pass-on-the-s/968182

Last edited:
It really boggles my mind that they're only now implementing this stuff o_O
The MMO universe relies on this tech, it should have been among the first things done not 4yrs into development.

It really boggles my mind that they're only now implementing this stuff o_O
The MMO universe relies on this tech, it should have been among the first things done not 4yrs into development.
I believe they were trying to do some more experimental sharding technology and this is more of a fallback.

Got lunch with an old friend. As we caught up he said hey weren't you really into this game …. and he handed me the intel saber raven code.... so yea now I have that

Why would anyone in the world build a spaceship with that many moving parts for landing ?
Trying to make a fortune on maintenance fees perhaps ?
Anyway having space tech and not AI to flight those ship is dumb, even if it wouldn't be fun... I think I just can't stand how ridiculous all this space opera stuff is anymore.

Why would anyone in the world build a spaceship with that many moving parts for landing ?
Trying to make a fortune on maintenance fees perhaps ?
Anyway having space tech and not AI to flight those ship is dumb, even if it wouldn't be fun... I think I just can't stand how ridiculous all this space opera stuff is anymore.
The spaceships in this game make no sense. Having windows at all on a warship is retarded but you'd definitely never want to put them at the very front of the ship.

Also the guns on these ships seem to miss all the fucking time. Even a 21st century CIWS like those mounted on destroyers could do 1000x better and that's in atmosphere and gravity.

Having windows at all on a warship is retarded but you'd definitely never want to put them at the very front of the ship.
I see your point, but it wouldn't really matter no window or no window; if you're moving at 20 clicks a second relative velocity (which would be fairly slow actually), even a flake of paint or a grain of sand could put a rather big hole in your starship. A window or solid hull wouldn't really matter, you'd end up with a big headache regardless if basically anything hits you. :p And windows on spaceships is an important trope in human sci-fi; I'm willing to be magnanimous and forgive the game for this particular sin here TBH.

Actually, I feel windows at the front of a starship is a lot more dangerous from a transparency perspective than because of their relative fragility. A lot of stellar phenomena, not to mention exotic weapons fire, put out huge amounts of light which would fry human retinas into a crisp in milliseconds or less. But we ignore those things as well, because windows are cool, and if you're flying the ship manually, also useful.

As for guns - we can pretend their miss rate is due to ECM jamming of targetting systems, but I think it's simpler if we just think of it as a gameplay element making fights more strategic. If every shot hit automatically, well, you'd win a lot of fights simply for being the person who fires first (and all the rest by having the bigger, tougher ship.) Would that be fun?

Back