Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

That was it?

For two weeks they teased a 90 second teaser?

Is there a release date week month quarter year?

I mean wow, they've come such a long way from this 5 minute trailer that is only >5 years old.

Trailer in much better quality (UHD):

@ToTTenTranz
1. Graphics is way better now. Ships, characters and probs looked very low quality in comparison to now.

Old Bengal (2012)

New Bengal (2016):

New one looks multiple times better!

Technically, the Mark Hamill video is very good besides the hair of that one guy and the lighting style in this video is more a matter of personal taste.

2. There will be a two hour long livestream in around 7 hours I think.

3. Finally, SC has Temporal AA and better shadow quality since Alpha 3.0 (November 2017). No more shimmering but for gameworld UI they need another AA because it causes too much problems.

Last edited:
Face details in new video. In my opinion it looks much better than the characters from the prerendered BATTLEFRONT II cutscenes (also in motion). They also had too bright teeth (paperwhite) which fit not with the rest of the lighting.
Squadron 42 face.jpg

Similar lighting scene (prerendered video)
BATTLEFRONT II.jpg

I would have liked to see Hamill in a brighter Environment.

A bir brighter scene:
Squadron 42_2.jpg

Squadron 42_3.jpg

Last edited:
Its not just an IQ update everything is new and much better.

I really like the Livestream. I find it extremly epic even if there was no gunfight/space battle until now. I think you guys will be surprised. Technically its still unpolished (huge framedrops etc.) but the rest is amazing to me.

Last edited:
Well, it certainly will be amazing if they ever get this thing out the door. It could be one of the most immersive games ever, certainly in the sci-fi genre that's for sure.

It's good to have visions, but executing is even better. They need to focus more on getting this game DONE, then they can work on bumping the IQ, adding all kinds of crazy features. Most important of all is that people who have already paid for this game YEARS ago will be able to play it. If they keep delaying and delaying and delaying more and more people will just start demanding refunds, and if that money's already spent it will sink them.

So chop-chop...! Get it done, or it's adios muchachos.

Development time is still not that long and they started from nothing. FALLOUT 4 took 7 years and that game uses nearly the same engine as before etc. For me one moving capital ship from SC looks as expensive to make than the areas from Alien: Isolation. And Squadron 42 also has other capital ships and a giant space station which dwars these ships while FALLOUT 4 looks recycled. I want something with a new feeling and I would rather wait than to get something average.

Btw I can play Alpha 3.0 so they are delivering.

Last edited:
One hour long Squadron 42 gameplay (much better video now):

-in this demo are almost 100 unique charactes, Squadron 42 will have more than 150
-crew has shedules and the player can go to and interact with them
-close combat AI in early stage (still WIP) and gives a Basis from which they are improving it
-these comms are calculated in real time (secondary viewpoint) and no video files. That could also cost a lot of rendering and memory budget.
-script of Squadron 42 has around 1700 pages

Squadron 42: Pre-Alpha WIP Gameplay - Vertical Slice w/ Director's Commentary

Some points:
"1) Perfomance issues: They are aware but have not had time to work on this yet since they are currently still focused on actually bringing tech and systems/mechanics in.

2) Missing mechanics: Scanning (almost made it into the demo), atmospherical flight model tweaks, space combat and flight tweaks, FPS tactical visor

3) Missing Graphics Tech: facial animation (skin jittering), hair shader improvements, Animation imrpovements, eye conversions, render to texture improvements, GI improvements, spacelighting improvements, VDB Cloud Volumes improvments, dynamic volumetric lightung trough VDB Cloud Volumes

4) UI needs a lot of work and they acknowledged that. 3D Map of Interiors, Tactical Visor, improved UX etc

5) All cinematics can optionally be viewed from player view instead.

6) Core gameplay loops (Dogfighting, Flight, FPS) are off, because they were 100% focused on getting everything work together on a systemic and tech level. Next step is tweaking it to make it fun and user friendly.

7) Player guiding: Will improve with better HUD. Since the mission is 1/3 into the game, less tutorials are apparent. There is actual tactical instruction where to land and what to do based on both intel acquired and the tactical visor.

8) Future AI improvements: AI readability (communication between agents), AI behaviour (Coordination, tactics), fleeing when the player is rambo-ing everyone etc, search mechanics for when the player is taking a stealth approach

9) General comments: -too much space trash in orbit of that planet -lighting in hangar is missing, thus too dark -they have more than 32768 animations in the game (stock Cryengine limit) -more than 100 scanned heads -you can interact with most crew members -Point of interest system for AI to interact with player and environment (i.e. reacting to player looking at sth, etc) -was getting caught part of his plan?"

10) Game has 350 speaking rolls in total

Taken from:

Last edited:
Still no launch window huh? The pre alpha in its current state doesn't look like the game is coming out any time soon compared to other games in their pre alpha state, everything just looks so unpolished. Wouldn't be surprised if some PS5 launch titles released before this.

Looks obviously super rough and unpolished, which is bit disappointing.

Assuming they really are capable of improving the current state substantially in the next couple of years and fill those big empty corridors with life and fix standard stuff like animation transition, lighting (everywhere dark?!?) and performances...could be a good next pre-beta demo.

One thing I liked: mouth movement during facial animation was mostly decent...nice.

This game already simulates more than any other AAA game I know on a gigantic scale without skybox etc. I dont think it would be a good idea to higher the crew of that ship to multiple hundered persons when >60 dynamic persons with a shedule are already enough. I had test scenes in closed Alpha 3.0 with a lot of NPCs (like in AC: Unity) and that used a lot of performance but it was later significantly reduced because even todays high end hardware is not ready for that in a game world with such a simulation level. Some people are already complaining that Squadron 42 needs a minimum of 16GB of system RAM. It probably will not work well either with HDDs and i7 7700k CPU. One should probably have an i7 8700K which is much better. I'm looking forward to Intel's gaming CPUs with 16 threads.

This >8km Shubin mining facility at the beginning (which is also modelled from inside) is already bigger than some open world games such as FALLOUT 4, The Division or Horizon.

By the way, the lighting in the ships is dynamic when they are attacked everything changes.

And I will continue to compare Star Citizen with Alien: Isolation because the Art Director of Squadron 42 and Star Citizen was also responsible for "the overall look of ALIEN: Isolation, along with being fully hands on with the art production tech and look."

Last edited:
For me one moving capital ship from SC looks as expensive to make than the areas from Alien: Isolation.

99% of the work they spend on it will be completely irrelevant for squadron 42. You only need an exterior for that (any interior you need to show for damage you can just make generic, no one will notice). Even a corridor shooting section doesn't have to take place in a completely realistically fitted interior of a ship ... you can just model the environment separately and avoid all the pain of trying to realistically integrate it into the ship model.

Autistic attention to irrelevant detail is not a good design philosophy.

Last edited:
Offended by the the unnecessary usage of autistic. It's depressingly a common occurrence in forums at present. Hope it's faded by the time my son's old enough to be reading them.

you can just model the environment separately and avoid all the pain of trying to realistically integrate it into the ship model.
NO.

Absolutely not!

One of the most annoying things about computer games, especially since computers became fast enough to actually draw realistic indoors settings, is when a spaceship, space station and so on does not make sense, layout-wise, as a real location, and instead looks like a fricken computer game level.

It's OK with computer game levels looking like that in A: older games, or indie games, or non-realistic games. But games from say DOOM 3 onwards which had like, a planetary station without living quarters, kitchens and mess halls, bathrooms, offices and so on where you would have expected them just looked wrong, and bad. It throws at least my suspension of disbelief out the window.

If star citizen can accomplish properly laid-out spaceships, even if it takes more time and effort, then I'm 100% all for it, because it raises the bar up to where it should have been to begin with in the first place. :D

If star citizen can accomplish properly laid-out spaceships, even if it takes more time and effort, then I'm 100% all for it, because it raises the bar up to where it should have been to begin with in the first place. :D

I think that CIG makes a good compromise between realism, fun and optics. For example they did not make the corridors for capital ships too long like in real ships because that would be boring in FPS combat like boarding. Another example: For epic views and a cool design the bridge is exposed as in Star Trek or Star Wars and not in the best protected center of the ship as in The Expanse which made some fans very angry. They also want that spaceships fight up to millions of kilometers against each other.

Last edited:
Actually, the bridges on The Expanse, which I otherwise love, make me quiet annoyed. :) They're far too spacious.

Guess that's a TV production trade off. Having to take walls out for cameras and also deal with zerog wirework is probably asking too much within the time constraints.

I'm not sure the 'flying VR bunker' approach would be very interesting in a game. It'd end up looking like Dreadnaught or Elite's turret mode?

Like to see someone try out some ideas though.

Honestly though - with what would reasonably have to be the energies involved in futuristic space warfare it wouldn't matter much if the bridge is on the hull of a ship or in the center of it. Without handwavy godmode technology like 'structural integrity field' or such, weapon hits would slice clean through even a big ship. Even conventional weapons can easily be ludicrously powerful, a couple hundred grams of shaped charge explosive punching right through 15+ centimeters of hardened steel tank armor, railgun projectiles penetrating a dozen 20mm-ish armor plates, a single antiship missile breaking the spine of the hull of a medium-sized warship, and so on.

There would be no conceivable way of carrying enough armor to protect you against near-relativistic projectile hits and so on. So I wouldn't get too upset here...

Also, if your bridge is on the hull, it could potentially eject from a critically damaged ship and function as a life raft for its crew (as described in STTNG: Technical Manual, for example...)

Back