Risen

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Kyyla, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Just pre-ordered this on Steam, hopefully my HD 5870 will be here tomorrow, three day shipping sucks.

2. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

3. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Google translation:

4. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

That's total crap. I'll wait 'till this one hits the $20 mark.

5. MfA

MfA
    Legend

The wonder of console targeted crap engines.

6. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

Console port was handled by an outside team and is apparently a lot worse (FYI some reviews described it as looking like Xbox level in some parts). So I don't believe that the issues are related to the Xbox 360 version.

7. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Is the game popular enough to do their work for them and reprogram all their shaders? Oblivion was, but this isn't quite the same calibre.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Wow, at 1920x1200, minimum FPS for a 5870 is the average for 5850, and min on 5850 is higher than everything else.

Damn, this looks interesting, but no AA = no play. /sigh...

That short video looked like it has some rather nice fog/smoke effects and decent lighting.

Regards,
    SB

9. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Download prices are so fucking ridiculous ... I can buy risen with free shipping for 31 euros, or I can buy it from steam&gamersgate for 45 fucking euros? God I'm glad piracy exists ... I'll just buy the box and play the pirated version until the box arrives.

PS. don't give me no shit about entitlement ... :)

10. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Here in the US its $45 on steam, or approximately 31 EUR

11. MfA

MfA
    Legend

It's not the absolute prices I have a problem with ... I just don't see why they seem to want me buying boxes so damn much.

12. L233

Veteran

Ok, I got the game, played for a few hours. It's Gothic, alright. It looks like Gothic, feels like Gothic, plays like Gothic. Good.

Performance is OK (1920x1200, 16x HQ AF, all settings set to max) on my GTX 260 SP216, it's a bit choppy here and there, but always very playable. The game looks like an improved Gothic 3 with much improved lighting and shadows. It's certainly not the prettiest game I've seen but it actually looks better in motion than on screenshots. No loading screens, the world is fully streamed and it works really well. Loading/saving times are very acceptable.

I didn't encounter any major bugs so far, the worst were a few minor inconsistencies in quest dialogues. It's a much less ambitious game than Gothic 3 but it seems to get everything right it set out to do. If you like the Gothic games at all, you won't regret buying Risen. Oh, and the combat system is half-decent for a change. It's actually fun to whack things now, who would have thought.

I haven't tried AA yet but I've read that setting the "000000245 Vanguard" bit in nHancer works. I've also read that some people successfully enabled AA on ATI cards by renaming the .exe to UT3.exe.

13. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

The demo certainly isn't selling me on the full game. The combat still feels as kludgey as ever. Had a stingrat almost go into killer boar mode on me. . .bad memories.

14. L233

Veteran

Try to block (needs a shield against animals) or dodge (A/D + space). Sneak up from behind... whatever. You still need proper timing and a some practice. Getting hit still interrupts your attack but they won't keep hitting you until your dead (unless your opponent is much stronger than you). It's a bit like G2's combat system, not Oblivion-style hack-until-they're-dead. Also, you rarely have to fight animals unless you want to, they don't attack you immediately. You have to pick your fights because Risen is not an easy game.

#54 L233, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  15. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

How's the stability so far? Just minor glitches? What about memory leaks, etc.?

16. Kyyla

Veteran

Hooray. I liked combat in G2. I should get my copy in a few days.

17. L233

Veteran

I've played for several hours and had no crash whatsoever and I didn't notice any gradual performance degradation either. So far, only minor glitches.

18. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

The combat is just a kludge, and feels very 1990s to me. I mean, the way animals (well, in fact everything you fight in the demo) magically spring backwards as a defense when you attack looks and feels unnatural. I want to like this game, but it also feels like a generic Gothic clone. I loved G2 and wouldn't mind playing an updated version of the game, but Risen's voice acting, animation, graphics, and heavily borrowed gameplay elements make me feel like I'm playing something created by a group of Gothic fans rather than professional developers.

19. L233

Veteran

Yes, combat is certainly not the greatest part of the game but it's far superior to Gothic 3 in that regard. I kind of like the fact it takes some practice to master it and that swing direction and strength actually do make a difference (against humanoid opponents that is). So even if it does feel a bit clunky, I still prefer it to Oblivion-style simplicity.

One recent RPG with an action combat system that got it right is Venetica. Witcher-style chain attacks, blocking/doging and movement all flow seamlessly together. While the game is technically flawed, combat is fun.

You're right, Risen feels like a Gothic clone - because it is. It's supposed to be. So I'm not sure what you mean when you write "borrowed gameplay elements". What you're getting is essentially a Gothic game.

Animations suck, true, graphics are not great but sufficient to create a believable, immersive game world, which is more than Oblivion has ever done for me. Voice acting is excellent in the German version.

Risen is certainly not the Jesus of RPGs but likening Risen to a Gothic fan project is way too harsh. It's a quality game that, so far, has been virtually bug-free for me.

20. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

This game was suppose to be released 3 hours ago on Steam, and yet we still wait.
    There is a 21 page thread of people asking when they are going to be able to download it, but no on from Steam seems to care enough to answer.