Rise of the Tomb Raider, sketchy benchmarks

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Kaotik, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

So the game is out.
    Most sites got to benchmark it a bit early, and showed GeForce cards dominating the field, especially high end with even GTX 980 and factory overclocked GTX 780 Ti beating Fury X
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rise-...451/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1184288/
    http://www.computerbase.de/2016-01/...abschnitt_benchmarks_von_full_hd_bis_ultra_hd

The in comes TPU, they specifically mention using latest, patched public retail build from Steam, and their results tell quite a different storyhttp://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html

2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Do all of them have pure hair on?

3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

A better question is why are all these websites rushing to release benchmarks of the game that was released just yesterday?
    IIRC, they usually wait almost a week for the game-specific driver releases from both vendors.

Are they purposely not waiting for the 16.1.1 drivers from AMD that bring a specific profile for this game and should be released within the next few days or hours?

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

At least one of the german sites did a update to their review, saying AMD is working on a driver and they'll retest it with it.

Arwin, TPU doesn't mention on quick look, the rest have it on, but in general PureHair hurts a bit more NVIDIA than AMD as seen from both pc games & hardware and computerbase tests

5. Davros

Legend

You mean TressFx? unless amd have renamed it? or is this something else?

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's TressFX, customized or not. Probably can't mention AMD due TWIMTBP

7. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

AMD should try to get their game hotfix drivers out in a timely fashion like their competitor. I know I'm asking too much. :)

Though new drivers may do nothing anyway.

8. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Just played this on 970 GTX with the game ready drivers, and the game is certainly nice looking. And pretty enjoyable too, although it is a lot easier to die here than in Uncharted, where it always feels you are telegraphed the correct moves quite clearly. But perhaps I just didn't learn to pick up the signs in this game yet. Not counting the frames, but must be a solid 60 at least most of the time.

9. Davros

Legend

Does it shimmer ?

10. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Do you happen to remember how long it took NVIDIA to "get their act togehter" on the last Tomb Raider, which was gaming evolved title?

11. swaaye

Legend

No. I only remember TressFX ran awful on my 6970, was glitchy and looked better disabled. I didn't play much of the game anyway. :D

By the way I never said "get their act together".

#11 swaaye, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

hot fix drivers in timely fashion is pretty much the same. tressfx never worked well on the vliw gpus, but it took nvidia iirc (couple?) months and few game patches to get their performance drop on around same level as amd gcn's

13. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Update: Due to playing a pre-release build, I did not have access to Nvidia's Game Ready Drivers while writing this. I can now confirm that installing the Game Ready Drivers that were released today (January 27) did not fix the problems I discuss below.
    In fact, I would say it's made things worse: the stuttering is more frequent and the loading times are now two or three times longer than what I saw pre-drivers.

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-port-report-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-336747.phtml

This is what you prefer?

14. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Shimmy shimmy ya
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gubbi likes this.
  15. swaaye

Legend

That article reads like it's written by a whiney wordy guy who can't possibly play games without 60 fps.

Does this game have visuals that might be legitimately demanding? I'm not planning to own it and haven't seen it.

I think every single AAA game that gets ported around has controversially shitty performance. It's a wonderous modern game industry we enjoy. But then I also think every game receives the bitching regardless of any facts or realities. Teh intarwebz!

#15 swaaye, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  16. swaaye

Legend

Maybe it was the game patches? Could be the same story here. Not exactly shocking, unprecedented stuff.

17. Arwin

Moderator Legend

So far not at all. But I am not that far in. It's a beautiful game, way beyond the first one. Clearly made with 3GB+ texture memory in mind and way more polygon detail.

18. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Update: definitely shimmer in some environments. Most clear instance for me was an indoor area with sunlight falling in through a crack in the ceiling. It looks a lot like the kind of HDR aliasing that nAo talked about a long time ago, which would explain why it is hard to get rid of by various AA techniques, but nAo did also suggest how to overcome this issue ... So would be interesting to know why the developers couldn't solve this.

19. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

20. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

I can't find the dx12 thread, though this would also make a good post for 'amd gpus age better' thread as well.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html