RIAA's BIG win

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by epicstruggle, Oct 5, 2007.

1. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071004-verdict-is-in.html
    They didn't get the 150k per song, but 9k/song isn't too shabby. The first real victory and it should get the ball rolling on the other 30k lawsuits, since they will be self sustaining.

epic

2. DudeMiester

Regular

I hope it gets overturned on appeal.

3. SugarCoat

Veteran

$222,000 for downloading the equivalent of 2 CDs or 1 Greatest hits? :roll: Was this Jury retarded? I seriously would have to ask. Fining for a few thousand would of got the point across as clear as a bell. A couple hundred thousand simply looks like malicious abuse of the legal system.

4. dizietsma

Banned

I wonder why exactly $9250 per song?

5. SugarCoat

Veteran

they wrote numbers down onto slips of paper, colored them in and gave them a coating of glue and pretty sparkly foil then stuffed them in a hat, enjoyed a lunch, then pulled one out. Verdict delivered.

6. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Superb. Another nail in the coffin of the RIAA.

7. L233

Veteran

It's batshit insane. It's America.

8. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Well isnt malicious abuse of the legal system going on for like... always in america?

9. Rainbow Man

Veteran

You're not cheering these peple on are you?

I hope your rah-rah-ish post is sarcastic in nature but I have a hard time telling since you're a republican and all.. :razz:

I don't piirate music but about the last thing this planet needs is big record media industry being awarded over $9k per pirated song. That's just beyond words really.

Peace.

10. epicstruggle

Veteran

Not quite cheering them on, but I dont feel bad for the lady. Im currently boycotting almost all movies/music, thats how you change them, not by stealing.
    Being a republicans has little to do with it. I just respect the producers, actors, musicians, programmers, ...., who actually put money/time into making digital products. Just because it doesnt cost to duplicate it doesnt mean it didnt cost to produce it.
    I disagree. What the world really doesn't need is people who don't respect others peoples property/hard work.

11. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

In that cause there should be alow against cheating the consumers because the record label maffia is taking by far the largest amount of income from music sold. Its not going to the artists.

Anyway fines like these are just beyond reality and anyone agreeing with the should get a brain check. Downloading 24 songs isnt in line with a 200k fine which she will feel her whole life as she probably cant pay it up. This is like sending somebody to jail for 20 years because he drove 20mph to fast.

12. Rainbow Man

Veteran

It certainly doesn't cost anywherenear the amount they charge for it.

Just look at the lives rockstar people live. Whatever have they done in their lives to warrant this revelling in excess in every sense of the word that som any of them do?

I think many people pirate music because they can't morally support and motivate to themselves helping to finance and support that kind of behavior.

Ask yourself. Why should a musician get paid EVERY damn time his song is played on radio? No painter is paid every time his painting is looked upon. I don't pay the plummer every time I flush my john.

You don't pay your car manufacturer every time you dirve to work.

You can't force people to respect you by beating them into thhe grounfd.

That's bullying. It's abuse of power.

You get the respect you're deserved, and the RIAA et. al. are worthy of none.
    Peace.

13. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

The RIAA can't make money if nobody buys music. No law is required -- just stop consuming music, and the RIAA will go away.

14. epicstruggle

Veteran

Exactly. I really wanted to watch like 15-20 movies this year, but because of my boycott I didn't. And I havent bought a music cd in years.

epic

15. dizietsma

Banned

I think people should pay for songs also but I do not think this is fair. The fine should have been the cost of the total amount of songs downloaded and then a community service or something similar for the lady to do.

I buy all my hardware and so I think I should by all my software. I always buy games but with legal music downloads they have never worked, I always get some sort error on certificates or the download. The only thing that seems to work is the credit card part which always works and leaves me 99p out of pocket or so out of pocket each time. Not a great deal I admit, it's the principle and the hassle though, it should be easier.

I have about 25- 50 private free music downloads on my PC so I am not a profile music listener, occassionally I want a song though and so get it. The last one I wanted was Motorhead Ace of Spades and the HMV download failed. I could not be bothered downloading it illegally due to risk of trojans etc so just gave up.

16. epicstruggle

Veteran

So what?
    Whats this got to do with anything?
    I very much doubt that more than a few percentage of people think that. Most (90+%) do it, because they think they wont get caught or dont care at all.
    Because its the law?
    You can propose laws that would allow you to do that. ;)
    Well they did win their case in court, means something to some. Im sure most people who are stealing now, wont care. But Im sure the 30k that have gotten caught will.

epic

17. doob

Regular

The only real way they (RIAA) would ever go away is when majority of music artists stop releasing their hard work under labels that support RIAA.
    The few ones that already do sadly get supressed by the overall music industry.

18. weaksauce

Regular

It is indeed stealing if the original copy was stolen. Then the downloader can be charged with cooperation. If it was not, he can be charged with cooperation for breaking the copyright agreement, or what it is.

It's not that you enjoy it, it's that you own it. And you own it because someone either stole it, or broke the licence agreement. If you hear it on the radio, the station has obtained the rights to distribute it. The pirate, has not.

Say that a person steals a painting, copies it, and gives a copy to you. Then, instead of reporting him for theft, you accept it, and thus, you cooperate with him in his crime.

While some may download because they want to ensure the quality of the product they're gonna buy, or because they simply don't have any money, it's a fact that most people download because they simply don't wanna pay.

19. epicstruggle

Veteran

How are they getting suppressed? Look into the early history of MC Hammer for an example of how good music (not to me) finds a way.

20. doob

Regular

How are they getting supressed? I dunno im such a ignorant civilian that things like private corporations lobbying and acting as a cartel and monopolise on who has rights on distribution formats to the point where they go against the artist right of free speech and try to have the right to censor the artist own work just because they bought some legal right on the format its released doesn't give them right to do such. What they can do is sadly refuse to publish his work, and force the artist to go throught independent means.
    And of course, they don't want you to do a backup copy or play it on whatever device they haven't recieved royalties from.

Thats supression.