REZ

TomRL

Newcomer
How technically impressive was this game back when it first released on the PS2?

For our class we have to analyse the artistic and technical pros and cons of the visuals and I'm not adept at PS2 era stuff. Did Rez bring anything technically impressive to the table at the time?

You'd want to look at REZ and compare it to other titles of the time and before it, and then other titles that came after. You'll then have a basis of comparison for what the game did differently and how far it stretched the machine it comparison to later titles which show what the machine was fully capable of.

Also, it was a DC game as well, so cross-platform between two very different machines. Chances are it wasn't leveraging PS2's strengths in a big way, though I don't really know the game beyond its reputation as a trancey hip-fest shooter.

I love that game, but technically speaking it certainly doesn't look like anything particularly special. Everything is deliberately low-poly and there are basically no textures to speak of. All by design of course, but still.

Lots of fill rate. PS2 version was twice the frame rate of the Dreamcast version - so double the fill rate.

Rez was primary an artistic achievement IMO, though I think it pushed the platforms it ran on when achieving it's artistic goals.

Back