REVOLUTIONary?

Iron Tiger

Regular
The Apple Mighty Mouse seems to have a lot of the stuff that was rumored for the Revolution's controllers. Touch sensitivity, "squeeze" input, and minimal buttons. Seeing someone finally introduce a streamlined input interface device with all these technologies that have existed for a long time, I'm more inclined to believe the rumors now.

This mouse seems to be covered with the classical Apple marketing BS.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/gallery/index.html

Nothing is revolutionary here, the scrolling/rolling just use the same device portable computer used for years, the "squeeze" is just two side button and the "touch" sensitive stuff is either a simple soft case over a two buttons mouse or a very simple touch sensitive surface (only two different input).

Not to mention that I hardly see a link with the Nintendo Revolution (Pun intended).

Well, let's use this thread to discuss possible input solutions for the Revolution.

The impression I got from an indepent reviewer, is that the side "buttons" don't move. It may only be good for digital input (the Rev controller is rumored to have analog "squeeze" grips), but it's still designed for squeezing instead of traditional button depression.

The other thing that coincides directly with Revolution rumors is touch input. Again, this may work digitally, but so do the "analog" sticks in GC and N64 controllers, and still give a sense of analog input. Apple is clearly trying to distinguish themselves by making an input device that looks simple so as not to discourage people from picking it up, but offers up lots of input options. That sounds a lot like Nintendo's plan for the Rev controller as well.

A lot of people have discussed adding a trackball (or replacing the right stick with one), and Apple has stuck a tiny one on their mouse for scrolling. From the independent review I've read, it seems to work very well, too. Maybe we'll see a mini-trackball in the Rev controller.

The thing that made me skeptical about a touch interface on the controller was that you wouldn't be able to see what "buttons" you were pressing, but this mouse got the cogs in my brain turning. Everyone knows where the right and left mouse button are on a mouse, without the need for a visual (or even tactile) delineation. So Nintendo's solution (if they are indeed using a touch interface) may be to place "buttons" where people expect them to be. Or, they could have visual clues on screen (so you don't have to look at your controller) that correspond with tactilely differentiated regions on the controller. That's how I know what buttons to press on a GC controller when playing games like Zelda. Or on a PS2, I don't know the difference between X and Square unless they show the buttons on screen among the other buttons. I don't have to look at the controller, but I know what buttons to press, and it takes only an instant of unconscious thought.

Vysez said:
This mouse seems to be covered with the classical Apple marketing BS.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/gallery/index.html

Nothing is revolutionary here, the scrolling/rolling just use the same device portable computer used for years, the "squeeze" is just two side button and the "touch" sensitive stuff is either a simple soft case over a two buttons mouse or a very simple touch sensitive surface (only two different input).

Not to mention that I hardly see a link with the Nintendo Revolution (Pun intended).

Well, let's use this thread to discuss possible input solutions for the Revolution.

Not to go too OT, but I do believe that it's Apple's marketing that is keeping them in the game...

And as far as the Revolution is concerned, I think any connection drawn is purely coincidental. I just don't see Apple having anything to do with Nintendo.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Apple and Nintendo were working together or even influencing each other. Just that a lot of the features being marketed in the Mighty Mouse coincide with rumors (and hopes) of the Revolution controller. I've shot down a lot of that speculation in the past, but to see a realized implementation of the features got me thinking that some of those rumored features could be feasible.

if we are to digress

Kanyamagufa said:
Not to go too OT, but I do believe that it's Apple's marketing that is keeping them in the game...

And as far as the Revolution is concerned, I think any connection drawn is purely coincidental. I just don't see Apple having anything to do with Nintendo.
I am typing with an Apple computer right now and I think that good products are what keep them alive.

From what I have heard from people that have tried it out the touch part just decides if its a left click or a right click and you still have to press down on the mouse.

Kanyamagufa said:

Well Mac OS X seems to be significantly more powerful than Windows XP.
However it is much easier for Apple to design a powerful OS for their platform than for Microsoft to do the same for the PC.

How to make a Revolutionary controller by Urian.

1. Take the form of the GCN controller

2. The controller is divided in 2 simetrical parts with the start button in the middle.

3. The Left part is disk like the iPod Disk around a small ball like the Mighty Mouse, this cursor if for the camera and the small disk is for the movement.

4. The cursor is digital, the disk is analog

5. The controller has 2 disks, one for the control buttos and the other for the actions buttons.

6. Left Cursor= Moving Camera X-Y. Right Cursor= Moving Camera Y-Z.

hmmmm?

a GCN controller with haptic and tackle feedback. Buttons(and and other input analog stick-like pad d-pad anything) pop up on any part of the controller.

no touchscreen.

Back