Revisiting Half Life 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by RobertR1, May 22, 2009.

1. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

I want to play a classic on my new monitor. I'm sure there are a ton of mods out for HL2 but I'm looking for something that brings the graphics a little upto date. Any mods you guys suggest? I posted a while back (can't remember which forum!) and someone recommended me a mod that pretty's up HL2 but they said to not use the character models from this mod. Just the rest of it.

2. MrGaribaldi

Regular

I just did the same thing, and was very happy with the result from "FAKEFACTORY CINEMATIC MOD V8 ORANGEBOX".

It has a pretty bad Alyx model, but you can choose which model to use, so that's not much of a problem. HL2 looked a lot better afterwards.

3. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Yeah you got a whole bunch of high res texture packs for hl2. Never tried them but I heard it looks good. Not any other mods that up the gfx as far as I know.

4. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Thanks guys. I am downloading the lastest and what seems like the final FakeFactory Mod. It's version 9.51 and comes in 3 parts. V9 Base, V9 HD Add on and V9.51 hotfix. Gonna let the downloads run over night and then get it going over the weekend. Hopefully my 8800GTX can handle it :(

5. almighty

Banned

Ive got the FFCM 9 and it looks amazing but expect to see framerates in the low 40s in some places as the mod is maxing source and is quite stressful on graphics cards :)

6. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

After playing games on consoles for the past couple of years exclusively, 40fps won't be an issue :)

7. almighty

Banned

Thats 40fps on my system with a 260GTX ;)

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

But at what res?

I get with CM9.5 and 1680x1050 8xAA, TSAA and 16xAF 60fps (actually more like 100+fps but vsync caps it to 60fps). Heaviest part is like 60fps so far (lol). And this mod really likes 3GB+ of RAM. Runs best under 64bit according to dev. :shock:

EDIT: ATI HD4890

9. almighty

Banned

Yea Nebby but source has always loved ATIs hardware over Nvidia's. Remember that HL2 and Doom 3 were from the same era in graphics, with D3 loving Nvidia hardware and Source loving ATI :)

And yes the game love RAM, good job i have 8gig ;)

10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

True. Andreally amazing how CM enhances HL2 and expansions. Ran HL2 with and without.... day-night difference. I wonder how many polygons Alyx is made out of now. With CM5 I think it was it was around 40-50k... :D

Now these where lower res but it 1680x1050 doesn't have much of an impact.
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1261124&postcount=600

11. almighty

Banned

Looks even better with ambient occulsion turned on ;)

12. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Damn you for teasing me with what I can't enable. Makes me jealous of Nvidia users. :evil: :wink:

13. almighty

Banned

I know i know, im sorry.

Oh well, im off to play Mirrors Edge with PhysX...whoops...did it again :razz:

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

15. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Vista 64ultimate is OS. I'm gonna be trying to run it at 2560x1600 with everything turned on except for AA. The machine is a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz with 4GB of fast RAM and a factory oc'd 8800GTX. Wish me luck eh!

16. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Cinematic Mod 4.0 was basically the peak of greatness for the CM series. Feel free to grab the latest 9.51 but be sure to fire up the character pimper and return them all to the stock originals - Fake's models from 6.0 onwards are just butt-fucking-ugly and horribly unoptimized. They're just overdetailed, super-shiny & excessively highres-textured poser model ports that aren't worth the megabytes they waste on your hdd.

Unfortunately the stock models don't look the best because of a lack of phong and rim lighting and whatnot, but it beats staring at a ~30yo Beefcaked Ironman Kleiner or Alyx & Mossman both looking 20yo in their skintight hyper-shiny spacesuits with cleavage-clinging adaptive coats.

*edit*

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4571/hl2cm957da4.jpg

I mean, look at that, what is that? A monkey? Some kind of screwed up alien from mars that's degenerating from trying to survive in our atmosphere?

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9051/hl2cm95pi4.jpg

And that - Holy fucking shit.

The earlier versions were great because they focused more on taking the existing character and upgrading their textures and lighting to make them far more realistic, while staying true to their original style. The new batch are, quite simply, retarded. They're all young, buff & big-breasted 90210 cast rejects.

I think you can take all the character models from CM4.0 or such and get them plugging along in the later versions, it's just really tricky :(

#16 Sobek, May 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2009
  17. sonix666

Regular

This is one of the reasons why I usually dislike texture packs. Instead of making the default textures more detailed, they start redrawing them completely and changing them too much from the original.

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I like it though ofcourse I think the old style model art is better suited. But then this is a free mod and as such you either like it, mod it to your liking or just ignore it.

19. _xxx_

Banned

Actually there is a 10 beta available for dl already, seems to be different than 9.x concerning the models. It's about 10 GB.

20. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

There's a character changer in 9.51 that lets you pick which character models you want to use. You can pick a bunch of different Alyx's for different times in the story and multiple models for most of the other NPC's. Personally I'm happy with the options with in.

As for the performance. Even at 2560x1600, AA is needed on this game. 4xMSAA seems to go a long way to cleaning the IQ up. I surprised how well the 8800gtx is handling this game so far. I'm only on the first level so far so I suppose canals and water levels will be a real test. I tried Ambient Occulsion and wow, what a huge performance hit. Kills the framerate and causes a lot of stuttering. Frankly, not sure I like it either. In the first level outside of the train station in the open area where you can see the Citadel and The Administrator is talking on the big screen making a speech, I found it darkened everything up too much and made the lighting weird. Does ambient occulsion work better in some games than others?

From what I've experienced of the mod so far, it's very nice and the guy clearly put a lot of effort into it.

edit: downloading 10.1 beta down as it has performance improvements.

edit2: think comcast is fucking me somehow. Anytime I try to download a torrent, the net drops. I turn off the torrent and things are happy again.

#20 RobertR1, May 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009